We were originally making jokes about how to utilize the TE in apps, "Hey, it would be great way to help those people who can't walk and chew bubble gum at the same time".

Then to everybody's surprise a guy in the next table, working for a company that is trying to develop their own TE says:"You know that tech guy Leo Laporte has been making donkey of himself by calling TE just a buzzer and marketing gimmick. If was so simple why did AAC Tech fail to produce them? I tell you. TE is kind of a 3D approach compared to the 2D buzzers, it moves in different directions. Or if you feed signal to a car horn it produces one tone, but if u feed signal to a speaker it can produce music, that's the difference, TE is more like a speaker".

Has anybody taken the TE apart, or know more about it? I'm sure there are more than two Shenzhen companies working on them.

Apps that could use such a programmable thingy? Metronome, Silent Cocoo clock, finding things (more Taptic feedback closer u are), Morse code, Door bell (can play the Close Encounters of 3rd Kind -theme when pressed against a door, ....
    05-11-2015 01:16 AM
    I only have one device with this component (Apple Watch), and I'm not planning on taking it apart to explore.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    05-11-2015 08:12 AM
    We were originally making jokes about how to utilize the TE in apps, "Hey, it would be great way to help those people who can't walk and chew bubble gum at the same time".
    Who is "we"?

Then to everybody's surprise a guy in the next table, working for a company that is trying to develop their own TE says:"You know that tech guy Leo Laporte has been making donkey of himself by calling TE just a buzzer and marketing gimmick. If was so simple why did AAC Tech fail to produce them? I tell you. TE is kind of a 3D approach compared to the 2D buzzers, it moves in different directions. Or if you feed signal to a car horn it produces one tone, but if u feed signal to a speaker it can produce music, that's the difference, TE is more like a speaker".
    Okay

Has anybody taken the TE apart, or know more about it?
    No, and I don't plan to.
    I'm sure there are more than two Shenzhen companies working on them.
    Maybe

Apps that could use such a programmable thingy? Metronome, Silent Cocoo clock, finding things (more Taptic feedback closer u are), Morse code, Door bell (can play the Close Encounters of 3rd Kind -theme when pressed against a door, ....
    Thanks for your suggestions.
    05-11-2015 08:16 AM
    We (this time a different group of people hanging around in a bar) and another guy from yesterday's 'next table' ended up talking about the Taptic Engine again. I might have misunderstood something yesterday, I thought Apple has the fancy TE, maybe not, it's the guys own company that has the 3 axis TE. I should have paid more attention to what he was saying in Chinese to his friends, as he didn't know all the words in English. So supposedly the TE doesn't have a motor, it's a fancy solenoid.
    05-11-2015 02:21 PM