P&Q: 60 Year Leather Lowry Cuff Review

Fable

Feb 11, 2016
Visit site
Background: This is my first Apple Watch. I bought a 42 series 2 in space gray aluminum. Unlike my former android and fitbit watch/trackers, I find myself amazed at how many different types of bands are made for the AW. I wore the standard black sports band for about a month while I was waiting to get this in. While I don't have a lot of experience with AW, I have worn plenty of different makes over the years.

I first found Pad and Quill through iMore when they were doing a contest for loot from the site. I was just getting ready to place my order for the Apple Watch and went to order a Lowry band. On the site I saw the ad for the 60 year old cuff and watch the video. The dilemma was to order it with the Polished Nickle and have it ship in a week or wait until the end of November for it to ship. As I thought the black hardware would go better with my purchase, I chose to wait.

Ordering and Shipping

Limited Special Edition 60 Year Leather Cuff for Apple Watch

So the first thing you will notice is the price. Retail of 249.00 is kind of steep as bands go. There is usually a 10.00 or even 10% off coupon floating around that you can use. Its not a huge savings and probably more than most people want to spend. I should also mention that the they will be having a site wide Black Friday sale on November 25th. As this will be my normal daily driver and I will only change it our when I'm going to be in the water or during my daily workouts, I went with the impulse buy.

Originally it wasn't supposed to ship until next week but it actually shipped last week and I have been using it for about a week now. The Cuff comes in a very nice wooden case. I am currently using it to store additional bands.

019cb486b017359ecb083a4ea6916ef9c2e71f8ff1.jpg

Sliding the box open the straps can be seen for the first time. The leather feels soft and you can tell that there is real craftsmanship in this item. Folks have told me how good P&Q is.. the initial look and feel doesn't disappoint. Also note that this is the starting color for this batch of 60 year old leather - there is no other options. It will actually wear and age within about a year and depending on climate to be a really unique color which is darker than what is shown.

01fd1246ee45ceb5c59aeb48219952132347303494.jpg

Comfort and Usability
I saw some complaints on the standard Lowry cuff about issues with charging (and I would guess reading vitals). I have experienced no such issues. The cuff feels a little stiffer than expected when you first put it on. I have worn Leather Bracers and armor in the past and I am not saying in any way that it is that sitff, but right along the stiching on the corners the band does tend to dig in a single spot. I assume like most leather products this will break in shortly - a week isn't a lot of time. That said - the cuff looks and feels great. Charging and vitals are done without having to remove the cuff through a generous hole on the bottom.

01c0468b5635f3c1e760187b1838cce556eb7a5b9d.jpg

I haven't had an issue with the watch not knowing I was wearing it. In addition it still sticks right onto my charger and doesn't interfere with charging.

01751c0ca9722a3f699e7ed6c89dbfb08cadf51ad4.jpg

How does it look

P&Q claims that this is mixing old world with modern style and it looks pretty sweet. I had a black tie event this weekend and actually wore it with my tux. It is nice to get notifications on my arm and not interrupt a social conversation by having to pull out my phone. Granted it's no Tag but I did get a few questions about how I liked the watch. This is what it looks like on arm:

010304baef73372013e9e1de96a01e394f3d31d03d.jpg

Overall Summary

I really like the look and feel of the P&Q 60 Year Luxury Leather Lowry Cuff. I think it was a very good purchase even though it was a little on the expensive side. It is a durable and well crafted show piece that I love to put on every morning. I am really glad I waited for the Black Hardware. It is a small change that I think goes really well with a black or gray bezel. If you are in the market for a band in this price range - I can recommend it as it checked all my boxes.

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Thank you for your review. I was sure you would like the band. I am on the Community Review Team here at iMore and was given the opportunity to try both a case and band from Pad & Quill. It is quality at its finest. Only the best leather is used in their product. And it is put together with the best stitching I have seen on any leather product. I have been using my Lowry Leather band for a few months now and love the way it has settled in and seeing the colour it is taking on. The Bella Fino case on my iPhone 6 is gorgeous and still looks new.

Yes they are pricey. But that is to be expected with quality. They are worth every penny though. Again thank you for your review.

jmerrey

Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
I'm curious, do you all notice the center prong sticking out of the buckle a bit too far? I had the P&Q Classic Band, and it kept snagging on my couch and sweaters. Not a huge deal, but it was noticeable.

Fable

Feb 11, 2016
Visit site
I'm curious, do you all notice the center prong sticking out of the buckle a bit too far? I had the P&Q Classic Band, and it kept snagging on my couch and sweaters. Not a huge deal, but it was noticeable.

I actually haven't had this issue with the black hardware (not sure if it is different size from the silver). I just ran my my finger along the buckle and it's just about flush with the buckle. The jut out is very small on the one I have. I could see where that would tick me off if it did catch on everything. Here are 3 angles on the clasp:

IMG_0719.JPG
IMG_0717.JPG
IMG_0718.JPG

Last edited:

jmerrey

Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
Thank you for those pics! Mine had the black hardware as well, it was the Classic in Whisky. I ended up returning it because the band color was too "redish" for me. I really want a Lowry in Chestnut with black hardware, but they currently don't offer it. I may just get a Lowry cuff and remove the cuff, as they offer the black hardware with that version.

Thanks again for the pics!

jmerrey

Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the answers! Are these answers from direct knowledge, or assumptions? I only ask because I got an email back from P&Q last night with this response:

Hey John!

Dawn here writing to you from our home base in Minneapolis, MN today.

Thanks for asking. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news today but the cuff cannot be changed into just the band, as it is sewn together.

Hoping to possibly have the Lowry Band with black hardware next year, but cannot guarantee!

Have a wonderful Holiday!

Dawn, "I wear all the hats around here"
Operations Manager

I'd be very happy if she was wrong and you guys were correct :)

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
P&Q: 60 Year Leather Lowry Cuff Review

Thanks for the answers! Are these answers from direct knowledge, or assumptions? I only ask because I got an email back from P&Q last night with this response:

Hey John!

Dawn here writing to you from our home base in Minneapolis, MN today.

Thanks for asking. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news today but the cuff cannot be changed into just the band, as it is sewn together.

Hoping to possibly have the Lowry Band with black hardware next year, but cannot guarantee!

Have a wonderful Holiday!

Dawn, "I wear all the hats around here"
Operations Manager

I'd be very happy if she was wrong and you guys were correct :)

I actually have a Lowry cuff. Mine is not sewn in whatsoever. It's possible that P&Q has changed the design since I got mine.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Re: P&Q: 60 Year Leather Lowry Cuff Review

I actually have a Lowry cuff. Mine is not sewn in whatsoever. It's possible that P&Q has changed the design since I got mine.

I was wondering about that. If you look closely at the Cuff, there's no sign of any stitching that would hold the strap into the cuff. The construction looks like most other brands of cuff which state the strap is removeble.

It could be glued in at the two bridge points, but that would be very poor construction, and I'm unclear as to the benefit of doing so. If I were a cynic, I'd say the only value of stitching or gluing the strap to the cuff would be to eliminate the "two for one" option and sell more single straps.

jmerrey

Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
That last point was my first instinct as well; that they want to avoid the 2 for 1 value. I've ordered two brown straps from E3 and Clockwork Synergy with the black hardware instead, we'll see how they look.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I'm not familiar with E3 but I'll be getting two brown leather straps from Clockwork as well, one with gold, one with stainless steel hardware.

Fable

Feb 11, 2016
Visit site
Sorry for the late reply on this one, but while it is 2 separate pieces, I don't think you would be able to get the clasp side comfortably through the loop. This doesn't appear to be sewn in but i'm not sure I could get it back together if I separated it as it would stretch the pass-though on the top.

0196e78d35a8178528224c4ba918bc81c86beb4502.jpg

Loki (my dog) was helping with the demonstration :p But I think it has to remain as is.