Apple TV on Home app shows otherwise

MrMars

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
Can’t figure out why when I’m watching TV and the Apple TV is the Home app Shows otherwise

59547a9b1b036a4246717b020a053faa.jpg

a253a3431d08058d0a92af0786480d6e.jpg

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Re: Apple TV on. Home app show’s otherwise

If you long press on the TV button on the remote, does it list the currently playing content as playing?

Similar to this:
4cc79014e536e70cfdbae6519e6d37ac.jpg

MrMars

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
Apple TV on. Home app show’s otherwise

If you long press on the TV button on the remote, does it list the currently playing content as playing?

Similar to this:
4cc79014e536e70cfdbae6519e6d37ac.jpg

The physical Apple TV remote or something else? Is your picture showing the control center on your iPhone?

Last edited:

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site

The physical Apple TV remote or something else?

Either a physical Apple TV remote, or the software one included in iOS/iPadOS.

The goal is to see if the Apple TV itself recognizes that it is playing something.

MrMars

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site

Either a physical Apple TV remote, or the software one included in iOS/iPadOS.

The goal is to see if the Apple TV itself recognizes that it is playing something.

Figured it out. It says “not playing” even though it is.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site

It does show as playing when I tap on the dynamic island. Is there a fix?

Besides using another app (in other words, "playback" app), I have never found a fix for that behaviour.

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site

I agree with Ed7789, when Home gets finicky it can be hard to get it to be un-finicky.
-Question, when you are on your AppleTV and want to download an app from the TV AppStore, on the AppleTV screen does it offer to do the authentication via your iPhone?

I can give you these tips:
-Make sure all devices are updated to the latest public OS releases (16.1).
-if you just updated recently and this issue now appeared, don’t try to troubleshoot it too much. Solid chance it will fix itself soon.
-On AppleTV, sign out of iCloud, Sign back in (obviously it need to be the same AppleID account as your iPhone).
Ok these are a bit more out there but maybe worth a try:
-iPhone and AppleTV are on the same home network broadcast speed, 2.4 or 5? Though it happened more so with my HomePods, I’ve had some oddities when not on the same network speed broadcast option.
-I see you have HomePods. Let them be your hubs, take the AppleTV out of the hubs list. On the Apple TV go to Settings﹥Accounts﹥iCloud﹥[HomeKit] My Home﹥{Connected|Not Connected} (unconnected is what you want).
**remember, when trying any of these suggestions, have patience. It may take several minutes for the change to propagate.

I wish I could say one of those will definitely work :). BOL…