Charlie Brown Holiday Specials only available on Apple TV+

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I was amused, then annoyed, last night when listening to a rant by a show host on NASCAR's Sirius XM channel that "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown' won't air on ABC this year. It has aired on broadcast TV every year since 1966. It, along with all of the Charlie Brown holiday specials has moved to Apple TV+. I heard more about it on a local radio station... the morning drive time DJs were furious and cynical in their criticism of Apple TV. They pointed out that people could still have access to the Charlie Brown shows by using a free trial subscription to Apple TV+.

Normally I would be willing to jump to the defense of Apple. But not this time. I too am extremely aggravated by this. I really do think that it's a huge misstep by Apple- it is a PR nightmare. Especially given the pandemic. Why not make it available on regular Apple TV and not Apple TV+. Not everyone is going to want to sign up for a "free trial".

In my mind, this is a really "grinchy" move by Apple!

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I’m just seeing this thread. I wasn’t even aware that the Charlie Brown specials weren’t available on network tv any longer, since I only watch it for the local news. While I understand why people would be upset, I feel Apple is just doing what any other subscription service is doing. I feel the criticism comes their service isn’t as wide spread as some others. They gotta start somewhere

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I can’t tell you when the last time I saw a Charlie Brown cartoon and I was a big fan. With that being said, its holiday specials no longer appeals to me and therefore it being available on TV+ doesn’t bother me at all.

To me, it’s no different than out of market games in that I can’t watch many of them without subscribing to something.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
There was a huge backlash... lots of people (including myself :rolleyes:) are really into the nostalgia of holiday TV specials. They’re tradition! :D I even saw posts on Twitter from a NASCAR sportscaster! Apple did make them free to to anyone for a few days. Of course that was brilliant marketing ploy.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
There was a huge backlash... lots of people (including myself :rolleyes:) are really into the nostalgia of holiday TV specials. They’re tradition! :D I even saw posts on Twitter from a NASCAR sportscaster! Apple did make them free to to anyone for a few days. Of course that was brilliant marketing ploy.

I understand....:)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711