Buffering

Chris Cook5

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I was hoping somebody could help me understand this better. My Apple TV was buffering this morning when I was watching Church on YouTube. it also dropped my network connection witch has been happening a lot. I use my iPad in the same room as my Apple TV which is about 30 feet away from the router. My iPad is fine watching videos. does that mean something is wrong with my Apple TV if my Phone/iPad works fine

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Not necessarily. It’s a holiday weekend so a good deal of people could be streaming movies and music and causing your ISP to throttle. You can always try restarting your modem and/or router.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Last Sunday, there was a major Internet downtime, affecting a significant portion of users and services; you could be In one, the other or both categories at the same time.

This being said, try restarting your Apple TV and your modem. This might help getting your Apple TV on other YouTube servers.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I haven't heard anything this week. That outage was last Sunday and affected any service or user using CenturyLink/Level(3).

And no, if there is an outage, all devices won't necessarily be affected. They can be using completely different servers taking completely different paths. It can be for redundancy or for a format that is more appropriate for your device.

Chris Cook5

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
is centryLink a cable service. lol. I have cox communications

I just saw where you said ANY service (too bad you can’t delete posts)

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't matter whether your provider (ISP) or the service you are accessing is using CenturyLink. As long as it was going through them when they had an outage, you would be affected.
The Internet is an intertwined web of providers, some that provide what we call transit traffic, to connect your ISP to other ISPs. CenturyLink is a company that provides, amongst others, both transit traffic and datacentre services.

To answer your question regarding if CL is a cable provider, I don't know who the USA ISPs are, given that I live in Canada.
What I can say is that Sunday 30 August 2020, I also had issues loading video streams to my devices and it was caused by the CL network transit.

Chris Cook5

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I tried to watch something on YouTube and Facebook live but it wouldn’t connect to either. (my iPad worked fine) I went to settings and it showed my network name with all five signal strength dots. Do you think the possibility that my router is at least 30-40 feet away and I need an extender?

Chris Cook5

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I tried to watch a YouTube video yesterday and it connected but then it dropped my connection When I went back in it says no Internet connection. Are you able to do any diagnostics on the Apple TV yourself. It even happens after full restore

Chris Cook5

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
this has been happening a lot lately. My Apple TV picks up my network and I have full strength but when I access YouTube etc it says “no network connection” Does that mean my tv is going out IMG_0092.JPGIMG_0091.JPG

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
this has been happening a lot lately. My Apple TV picks up my network and I have full strength but when I access YouTube etc it says “no network connection” Does that mean my tv is going out View attachment 129504View attachment 129505

Looks like to me that your network doesn’t have a internet connection.
Being able to connect to a router doesn’t mean you’re connected to internet.

Last edited:

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I had that same issue Thursday evening with the YouTube app. All other services on my Apple TV were working.

I had to reboot my Apple TV to have it reconnect.
It had to do with my IPv4 and IPv6 settings not being properly updated by my Apple TV.

I would have a quick look in the IPv4 settings on the Apple TV. Your DNS settings (shown with a red arrow here) are unusual; I'm wondering if Google blocked those.
In a home situation, this would typically be the router's address that would show up and it would be set automatically.
IMG_0092_annotated.JPG

Here's how to have a quick look.

1. Tap on the Ethernet (or Wi-Fi) line.
    IMG_4435.jpeg
  2. Make sure the DNS line that shows up is set to "Automatic".
    IMG_4436.jpeg

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I tried to watch a YouTube video yesterday and it connected but then it dropped my connection When I went back in it says no Internet connection. Are you able to do any diagnostics on the Apple TV yourself. It even happens after full restore

Seems like a problem with the YouTube app, don’t think a restore would help much, except for wasting time and data.

Best of luck.

Chris Cook5

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I had that same issue Thursday evening with the YouTube app. All other services on my Apple TV were working.

I had to reboot my Apple TV to have it reconnect.
It had to do with my IPv4 and IPv6 settings not being properly updated by my Apple TV.

I would have a quick look in the IPv4 settings on the Apple TV. Your DNS settings (shown with a red arrow here) are unusual; I'm wondering if Google blocked those.
In a home situation, this would typically be the router's address that would show up and it would be set automatically.
IMG_0092_annotated.JPG

Here's how to have a quick look.

1. Tap on the Ethernet (or Wi-Fi) line.
    IMG_4435.jpeg
  2. Make sure the DNS line that shows up is set to "Automatic".
    IMG_4436.jpeg

I’ll try that and let you know. Why do you think Google would block my DNS if they never had before?