Back to Cable TV I couldn’t pass the deal up

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I cut the cable cord a couple of years ago and switched to Apple TV and have used a couple of steaming services I.e DirectTV Now and lately I have been on YouTube TV.

Well my local cable company sent me a letter with an offer of 120 channels and 100MPS internet for 65 dollars plus tax a month.

I was already paying 50 a month for internet and another 50 for YouTube TV, so it was a no brainer and now I have one bill and a guaranteed rate for a year and after a year it only goes up to 85 dollars.

I loved my Apple TV, but I couldn’t pass up the deal and the cable company also has service in Florida where my brother and I will eventually move too, so I can transfer our account down there.

Streaming was fun and I enjoyed playing around with different streaming apps, but with cable companies lowering their rates because the millennials are not using it is going to attract folks like myself who are on a fixed income back into the fold.

I ended up giving my 4th Generation Apple TV 64 and HDConnect boxes to my young neighbor who is wanting to get into streaming, so it’s a win win.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I certainly can’t blame you for switching back. I’m in a grandfathered AT&T TV Now package from when DirecTV Now first launched so I’m not inclined to go anywhere at the moment. It’s clear that streaming services are going up in price while traditional services are offering pretty aggressive incentives to get customers back. Cutting the cord is not the big money saver it was even a year ago.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
All of the streaming wars are overwhelming, so I can understand the appeal of cable, except for the price, that is! But the streaming channels are getting more and more expensive too. It all gives me a headache! :D

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Definitely can't blame you there. Very doubtful Spectrum will try any type of deal like that, and even if they did, I doubt I can go back to cable tv. YTTV is just way too flexible for me. As long as I have LTE or wifi, can can watch via the app. And even through Spectrum has an app to watch tv on, you have to be on a Spectrum network for it to work. They app doesn't allow VPN connections.

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
I think the big catch for me is the rental fees for equipment with cable companies, especially now that I have Apple TVs for all the TVs in our house. When I factor in fees for HD/DVR, set boxes, etc. it is still a bargain to stay with Youtube TV even with the recent price increases.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I think the big catch for me is the rental fees for equipment with cable companies, especially now that I have Apple TVs for all the TVs in our house. When I factor in fees for HD/DVR, set boxes, etc. it is still a bargain to stay with Youtube TV even with the recent price increases.

Agree with the equipment rental stuff, I did buy my own cable modem and use my Apple WiFi so the only thing I have to pay rental on is the cable box itself. I still save 15 dollars a month buy buying my own modem.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
All of the streaming wars are overwhelming, so I can understand the appeal of cable, except for the price, that is! But the streaming channels are getting more and more expensive too. It all gives me a headache!

One other issue I have had the past few months is my streaming had been slow and I have had more picture freeze then I had the first year and a half since I switched over.

I have talked to many people about this issue and they are saying the same thing, server overload. I think they haven’t updated their servers to keep up with the new demand.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I cut the cable cord a couple of years ago and switched to Apple TV and have used a couple of steaming services I.e DirectTV Now and lately I have been on YouTube TV.

Well my local cable company sent me a letter with an offer of 120 channels and 100MPS internet for 65 dollars plus tax a month.

I was already paying 50 a month for internet and another 50 for YouTube TV, so it was a no brainer and now I have one bill and a guaranteed rate for a year and after a year it only goes up to 85 dollars.

I loved my Apple TV, but I couldn’t pass up the deal and the cable company also has service in Florida where my brother and I will eventually move too, so I can transfer our account down there.

Streaming was fun and I enjoyed playing around with different streaming apps, but with cable companies lowering their rates because the millennials are not using it is going to attract folks like myself who are on a fixed income back into the fold.

I ended up giving my 4th Generation Apple TV 64 and HDConnect boxes to my young neighbor who is wanting to get into streaming, so it’s a win win.

That’s an excellent deal, sir, and some of them you simply can’t pass up. I would’ve taken the deal without hesitation. It’s business and nothing more.

Coachbulldog

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site

I was already paying 50 a month for internet and another 50 for YouTube TV, so it was a no brainer and now I have one bill and a guaranteed rate for a year and after a year it only goes up to 85

Congratulations on getting a solid deal!

It would be tough for me to give up my AppleTV because too many of the programs I watch are exclusive to Hulu, Netflix, or Amazon Prime. But if I were willing to go back to cable and was offered the deal you have, I’d jump at it!

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Great deal, to pass up! I haven’t had cable tv for years. But eventually that’s what’s going to happen.
Cable tv were losing customers in droves over streaming tv.
But the rates are starting to go up on the streaming services, which will force people to cancel (as in my case). Cable tv is probably starting to wise up and see that, so they’re starting to offer streaming tv, or offering better packages.
Cable tv for me is still not an option, the streaming package is not a deal. And even after I called them about it, they had nothing to offer to sway me back to cable tv.
I cancelled YouTube tv because of the cost doubling what it once was.
Some shows, even the Pats game were blacked out on Sling tv. That was a deal breaker for me.
So I am back to the external antenna, and Amazon Prime.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Great deal, to pass up! I haven’t had cable tv for years. But eventually that’s what’s going to happen.
Cable tv were losing customers in droves over streaming tv.
But the rates are starting to go up on the streaming services, which will force people to cancel (as in my case). Cable tv is probably starting to wise up and see that, so they’re starting to offer streaming tv, or offering better packages.
Cable tv for me is still not an option, the streaming package is not a deal. And even after I called them about it, they had nothing to offer to sway me back to cable tv.
I cancelled YouTube tv because of the cost doubling what it once was.
Some shows, even the Pats game were blacked out on Sling tv. That was a deal breaker for me.
So I am back to the external antenna, and Amazon Prime.

Yeah, I’m already starting to look at going back to Sling due to YouTube TV rates rapidly increasing.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
That’s where I’m at, I’ve had Hulu for a long time. But Hulu TV has my local stations and that makes it a service I’m considering.

Until you mentioned it, I had forgotten Hulu had a live tv streaming service. Thanks for the reminder. I will indeed have to consider them.

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I haven’t tried Hulu yet myself, although I was checking out the pricing last night. The premium service is $51.00 without tax monthly, so it’s close to YouTube tv pricing.
What I may do, is go back to Sling. Tv is not that important to me as to why I look closely as to what I am paying.
There are only a few channels that interest me. Between my external antenna, and Sling, it would be enough for me.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I haven’t tried Hulu yet myself, although I was checking out the pricing last night. The premium service is $51.00 without tax monthly, so it’s close to YouTube tv pricing.
What I may do, is go back to Sling. Tv is not that important to me as to why I look closely as to what I am paying.
There are only a few channels that interest me. Between my external antenna, and Sling, it would be enough for me.

Agreed and when I initially had Sling (blue & Orange), I was using it in conjunction with my external antenna and I was satisfied with the setup. I eventually left because of streaming issues (if I recall correctly), but a good deal of time has passed since then so I’m sure things have improved.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
I’ve never used streaming services. I’m not a huge TV watcher, mostly sports and news, and it always seemed from what I read you had to look for a work around. Anyway, it’s interesting that people are starting to go back to cable now.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I’ve never used streaming services. I’m not a huge TV watcher, mostly sports and news, and it always seemed from what I read you had to look for a work around. Anyway, it’s interesting that people are starting to go back to cable now.

Not me....at least not yet. Spectrum has been spamming me almost daily with so-called specials, but the prices are part of a “bundle”.

All I need are the following:

ESPN 1, 2 & 3
FS1 & 2
TNT
FOX
USA
Local ABC, CBS, FOX & NBC
CW
NFL
NBA

and a few others.

Trending Posts