YouTube TV and Pluto TV Review

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I have been into streaming for the past couple of years and I started out using the Direct TV Now app along with the Channels App for some of my local channels.

Well, I decided to try a few other streaming apps because the industry is rapidly changing and their is some serious competition as far as what TV apps are currently available.

I decided to try a couple of apps to see if I would consider changing from my current Direct TV plan to another carrier. I downloaded the YouTube TV and the Pluto TV apps and here are my first impressions:

Pluto TV: This is a free TV app and has a crude interface compared to other TV apps out there, but I like the selections it offers and the Weather Nation is a great alternative to the weather channel.

There are some great programs being offered on Pluto TV and in my opinion this app is a no brainer and well worth downloading if your looking for a nice alternative TV app.

No it’s doesn’t offer local and sports channels. But it does have some great movies and programs like cold case files, Investigative ID and other documentary shows I used to love to watch.

YouTube TV: This I downloaded because it’s 35 dollars a month cheaper then Direct TV and basically offers the same great channels, local and sports channels that Direct TV Now had for less money.

It doesn’t have the weather channel, but the weather nation on the Pluto TV app is a great replacement. It has some add on networks like Starz, HBO and Showtime for an additional monthly fee.

The interface is nice and I find myself liking it better then Direct TV Now. The setup is not as easy as the other TV apps and you have to do a couple of extra setup steps to get it working properly.

But, considering it’s 35 dollars cheaper a month and being I am on a fixed income now that I am semi-retired. It looks like YouTube TV might be my new primary live TV app. Just thought I would pass it long.

Last edited:

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Thanks Ron for the great review. I am working on my husband to subscribe to either YouTube TV or Hulu TV and I think that I am leaning towards Hulu, because it’s slightly cheaper and offers the same channels. However your review of YouTube has encouraged me give it another look. I also agree with you about Pluto TV, it is crude but has some interesting channels on it.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
There's a great article over at Cord Cutters on that very subject:

https://www.cordcutters.com/youtube-tv-plans-and-pricing

Looks like the price jumped to $49.99 a few months back but we've been using it for over a year and we're getting all we need, plus a new that we never watched before switching. We're also paying an additional $10 for Showtime (my F-I-L lives with us) and $3 for Curiosity Stream (love documentaries) so with tax we're in the $65/mo range, but still way WAY cheaper than it was with the Spectrum "bundled" package. The only thing they bundled in was high fees. :)

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
We have been using YouTubeTV for about a year, and like it a lot. I like the newly added channels, but not the new additional charge if you pay through Apple, and how difficult they make it to switch billing (my case is a little unique so may not be as difficult for others). The single biggest feature that makes changing to Hulu or one of the other services is the unlimited DVR (unlimited storage, but things are only stored for 9 months).

One thing I would love to see resolved is CBS making you watch their on demand programming instead of DVR recordings so you can't skip advertisements. The same used to happen with NBC, but Youtube must have come to some agreement with them earlier this year because that is no longer the case. I assume CBS having their own pay service (All Access) might have something to do with that.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
One thing I would love to see resolved is CBS making you watch their on demand programming instead of DVR recordings so you can't skip advertisements. The same used to happen with NBC, but Youtube must have come to some agreement with them earlier this year because that is no longer the case. I assume CBS having their own pay service (All Access) might have something to do with that.

I like that the CBS app offers all access subscription and some free programming , where the NBC app requires that you have a cable TV subscription to watch anything.

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
I like that the CBS app offers all access subscription and some free programming , where the NBC app requires that you have a cable TV subscription to watch anything.

I just saw you can log into the CBS app with Youtube TV subscription, but it is not available in my area. So maybe in the future I can watch commercial free on demand (but I think that is probably reserved for All Access members, which I used to be until I started using Youtube TV).

My point earlier was that I should be able to watch DVR recordings and fast forward as I do on any other channel, since I am paying for service already. I'm sure CBS wants you to pay for All Access to get that feature, and that is probably why they block the recordings.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
I just saw you can log into the CBS app with Youtube TV subscription, but it is not available in my area. So maybe in the future I can watch commercial free on demand (but I think that is probably reserved for All Access members, which I used to be until I started using Youtube TV).

My point earlier was that I should be able to watch DVR recordings and fast forward as I do on any other channel, since I am paying for service already. I'm sure CBS wants you to pay for All Access to get that feature, and that is probably why they block the recordings.

Good point, though I don’t have a YouTube account.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site

That’s why I don’t watch any of the individual network apps, the only sports apps I have watched is the Masters golf app. If it not included in my YouTube TV subscription, I don’t need it.

Lately I have even considered giving up my Amazon prime subscription because movies I used to get for free with my prime subscription, I now have to pay for and it seems their so called “free” movies are getting less and less.

As I said in my post, I do like the Pluto TV app, they have some pretty good movies and shows for a free app and the adds don’t bother me.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Excellent review, bakron1. Over the years, I’ve tried the following:

Sling TV (both blue and orange)
Directv Now
PS Vue (trial period only)

I think I’m missing one somewhere. Anyway, I’ve been using YouTube TV for quite some time now and it’s been great, but if they get stupid with the pricing like Directv Now did, I’ll choose a different service........It’s just business, right?

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
That’s why I don’t watch any of the individual network apps, the only sports apps I have watched is the Masters golf app. If it not included in my YouTube TV subscription, I don’t need it.

Lately I have even considered giving up my Amazon prime subscription because movies I used to get for free with my prime subscription, I now have to pay for and it seems their so called “free” movies are getting less and less.

As I said in my post, I do like the Pluto TV app, they have some pretty good movies and shows for a free app and the adds don’t bother me.

I agree. I do like the Pluto TV app also. I am interested to see how the app fares since the service has been bought up by Viacom. I see a lot more Viacom channels added now like Nickelodeon Dora Channel. 24 hours of Dora? Wow.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Excellent review, bakron1. Over the years, I’ve tried the following:

Sling TV (both blue and orange)
Directv Now
PS Vue (trial period only)

I think I’m missing one somewhere. Anyway, I’ve been using YouTube TV for quite some time now and it’s been great, but if they get stupid with the pricing like Directv Now did, I’ll choose a different service........It’s just business, right?

I with you a 100% on the pricing, it’s just business and when we retired, a lot of our spending has become valued added and at the moment YouTube TV is the best bang for our money.

I see a major changes coming in the cable TV and streaming TV markets. Young folks are not buying subscriptions and older folks like myself are not looking to pay more, just business in today’s market.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Just got billed for my first month of YouTube TV, $49.99 and that’s 35 dollars and change cheaper then DirectTV Now.

So far the only thing I am missing is the weather channel and we actually are liking weather nation on Pluto TV better and it’s free.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
We use Youtube TV as well as Philo and an antenna. Have to got our Hallmark and ION need fulfilled.

The beauty of using streaming services is when we go to Florida for the winter we can suspend our service for the 4-5 months while we are gone and saves us 50 dollars a month while we are away for the winter months.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
The beauty of using streaming services is when we go to Florida for the winter we can suspend our service for the 4-5 months while we are gone and saves us 50 dollars a month while we are away for the winter months.

Or you can watch it on your mobile or computer browser device anywhere you go.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73