"Family" AppleTV

Trelaina

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Our AppleTV is set up on my AppleID, which means I have to share my password with everyone. Generally that means it's on a piece of paper and floating all over the house, and they can never find it when they need it.

I was considering setting up a generic email address/AppleID and Family Sharing. Is there a downside to doing this?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I’m going to assume your concern is with purchasing movies or apps because otherwise, the password to your Apple ID would not be needed with the TV.

Viewing Netflix, Hulu, Prime movies, Directv Now, etc., via your TV does not require your Apple ID or password.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Or set up the Apple TV with your credentials and under security create a pass code that only you know. This will prevent any charges from being made and may also restrict some settings.

Trelaina

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Or set up the Apple TV with your credentials and under security create a pass code that only you know. This will prevent any charges from being made and may also restrict some settings.

I apologize for not being clear. I'm not trying to STOP them from buying things...I'm trying to set it up so that they don't have to always come to me for my password to do it. But...on my iPhone and iPad, I DO want to keep others out. So the answer seems to me to be, get my AppleID off the AppleTV.

Am I missing something obvious?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I apologize for not being clear. I'm not trying to STOP them from buying things...I'm trying to set it up so that they don't have to always come to me for my password to do it. But...on my iPhone and iPad, I DO want to keep others out. So the answer seems to me to be, get my AppleID off the AppleTV.

Am I missing something obvious?

Then you are correct, simply create a generic Apple ID and passcode for purchases only, however, depending on the age of your kids, giving them carte blanche to purchase apps and make in-app purchases could be risky.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73