Does AirPlay 2 work exactly the same on Apple TV 4th generation as on Apple TV 4K?

pingpongpao

Jun 3, 2018
Visit site
In my home, the Apple TV 4K shows up as an AirPlay 2 device on my other devices (i.e. it's got a checkbox next to it), but my 4th generation Apple TV (which Apple says does support AirPlay 2) does not. When AirPlay 2 became available after updating to tvOS 11.4, I activated it in the exact same way as I did on my Apple TV 4K, but it still looks like an AirPlay 1 device in the lists on my other devices. I can't stream music simultaneously to it and my Apple TV 4K, as I'm assuming I'm supposed to be able to do with AirPlay 2.

What could be wrong, or is this normal?

Last edited:

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
In my home, the Apple TV 4K shows up as an AirPlay 2 device on my other devices (i.e. it's got a checkbox next to it), but my 4th generation Apple TV (which Apple says does support AirPlay 2) does not. When AirPlay 2 became available after updating to tvOS 11.4, I activated it in the exact same way as I did on my Apple TV 4K, but it still looks like an AirPlay 1 device in the lists on my other devices. I can't stream music simultaneously to it and my Apple TV 4K, as I'm assuming I'm supposed to be able to do with AirPlay 2.

What could be wrong, or is this normal?

Did you check in your TV 4th gen Settings if you’re logged in to HomeKit?

pingpongpao

Jun 3, 2018
Visit site
Did you check in your TV 4th gen Settings if you’re logged in to HomeKit?

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I've added the TV to a room in my HomeKit home. So it's visible as an accessory in my Home app and I can tap on it to start playing, but it looks like an AirPlay 1 device. That's if I'm not maybe misunderstanding what a 4th gen is supposed to be able to do with AirPlay 2 (e.g. play the same stream as another AirPlay 2 device simultaneously and perfectly in sync).

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I've added the TV to a room in my HomeKit home. So it's visible as an accessory in my Home app and I can tap on it to start playing, but it looks like an AirPlay 1 device. That's if I'm not maybe misunderstanding what a 4th gen is supposed to be able to do with AirPlay 2 (e.g. play the same stream as another AirPlay 2 device simultaneously and perfectly in sync).

Try to add both the TVs to the same room and see what happens.

pingpongpao

Jun 3, 2018
Visit site
Try to add both the TVs to the same room and see what happens.

No luck :(. Even in the same HomeKit room, the 4K has the checkbox, and the 4th gen doesn’t :(. I remember when AirPlay 2 was still in early beta, both TVs had the checkboxes, but the playback didn’t quite work as expected yet. But with the later betas and the final release of tvOS 11.4, the 4th gen lost the checkbox for some reason.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
No luck :(. Even in the same HomeKit room, the 4K has the checkbox, and the 4th gen doesn’t :(. I remember when AirPlay 2 was still in early beta, both TVs had the checkboxes, but the playback didn’t quite work as expected yet. But with the later betas and the final release of tvOS 11.4, the 4th gen lost the checkbox for some reason.

I wish I could help you out any further than this. I have just the one TV (4th gen).

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR