I was looking at my latest cable bill and realized it’s been a year since I bought my Apple TV (4th Generation) and cancelled my Cable TV subscription and switched to my Apple TV and Direct TV Now setup.

I will say in the the beginning I was having issues with server and connection errors with Direct TV Now, but the service has been greatly improved over the last year and the interruptions now are minimal.

At first I was concerned about watching live TV sports using a streaming service, but now I really don’t see any major difference between my cable service and Direct TV now except that I am saving over 70.00 dollars a month.

I now have all my local channels and have even picked up some new ones without a service increase. Unlike my cable provider who was raising my subscription rates and taking channels away.

I miss having a remote where I could select a channel by number without scrolling thru all the channels using the Apple TV touchpad, but for the monthly savings I will gladly put up with it.

I just wanted to follow up and give a review of my experience with cutting the cable cord. I have saved over 870.00 dollars the first year alone and those savings have been put towards my property taxes and when your retired on a fixed income, it all helps.

I couldn’t be happier making the decision to cut the cable cord and I am enjoying the rewards of not only saving money, but having more channels and not missing anything as far as picture quality.
    05-03-2018 12:34 PM
    That's excellent! Do you have any premium channels?
    libra89 likes this.
    05-03-2018 02:06 PM
    Cutting the cord was the beat decision I made over a year ago. My bill was $165/mo and now with DirectvNow, internet and emby as my dvr Im paying $65/mo. Once the DVR releases for DirectvNow I can save another $5.

Best part of it all is being able to watch tv or my dvr anywhere without extra equipment. Couldnt do that with cable unless I bought a slingplayer.
    bakron1 likes this.
    05-03-2018 02:12 PM
    That's excellent! Do you have any premium channels?
    I have the Deluxe package for 70.00 a month, which includes all the major channels and STARZ, no HBO or Showtime, I didn’t see a need for it.
    Laura Knotek and libra89 like this.
    05-03-2018 02:20 PM
    Jealousy

I do have to get off the couch and find a better way.

That Controller(Ball) and Cord(Chain) is costing me a Fortune.
    05-03-2018 02:35 PM
    I love my DirecTV Now service .
    bakron1 and Laura Knotek like this.
    05-03-2018 04:34 PM
    I keep thinking about doing this. Alas, watching things like Discovery or BBC America, might be an issue, no?

And of course, ESPN for Formula One, and MSNBC for Premier League.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-03-2018 05:23 PM
    It’s been several years since I cut the cord and I can say for certain that I don’t have any regrets about it. I initially used Hulu and Netflix, but they didn’t provide live TV broadcasts. Shortly thereafter, I subscribed to SlingTV. After deciding to give Directv Now a try and being satisfied with the service, I dropped SlingTV.
    Last edited by Just_Me_D; 05-03-2018 at 06:44 PM.
    05-03-2018 05:28 PM
    I haven’t had cable since I bought my house 8 years ago, and I don’t miss it at all.
    I use a Home run HD connect with my Apple TV, and an HDTV antenna.
    Amazon Prime video, and YouTube, and I have all my viewing needs.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-03-2018 06:36 PM
    I just looked into DirectTV Now. But, there is no DVR option yet.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-03-2018 06:47 PM
    We're using YouTube TV. All local channels and a bunch of sports channels. 6 simultaneous streams and unlimited DVD for $40/mo.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    05-03-2018 08:05 PM
    I haven’t had cable since I bought my house 8 years ago, and I don’t miss it at all.
    I use a Home run HD connect with my Apple TV, and an HDTV antenna.
    Amazon Prime video, and YouTube, and I have all my viewing needs.
    I also have a HomeRun box and the channels app in case Direct TV Now has any hiccups. I am also a Amazon Prime member and have the Amazon Video app installed, best of both worlds.
    05-03-2018 08:10 PM
    I keep thinking about doing this. Alas, watching things like Discovery or BBC America, might be an issue, no?

All of those channels are available on DirectvNow with the basic package.
    05-03-2018 10:05 PM
    I just looked into DirectTV Now. But, there is no DVR option yet.
    It’s in beta right now. I’ve been testing it for the last six months.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-03-2018 10:24 PM
    And your thoughts thus far...

It’s in beta right now. I’ve been testing it for the last six months.
    05-04-2018 06:24 AM
    When you cut the cord, how do you record your fav tv shows?
    05-04-2018 08:56 AM
    When you cut the cord, how do you record your fav tv shows?
    Most services offer a dvr. DirectvNow is the only one without it at the moment but its coming very soon.
    Sherry_B likes this.
    05-04-2018 10:07 AM
    The only issue I had with DTVN was no CBS, at least in my area. Some shows we like are on CBS so that's a requirement.
    05-04-2018 10:39 AM
    The only issue I had with DTVN was no CBS, at least in my area. Some shows we like are on CBS so that's a requirement.
    I get CBS in our area now, I like it because most of the PGA Golf on Saturday and Sunday is broadcast on their network.
    05-04-2018 10:42 AM

I have ESPN, Discovery, and BBC America through DirecTV Now.

https://www.directvnow.com/thegoodstuff#the-full-lineup
    bakron1 and ivanwi11iams like this.
    05-04-2018 11:41 AM
    I've been using Apple TV 4K with DirecTV Now and I love it. The only annoyance I have about Apple TV is the trackpad on the remote. I don't think it's easy to use and sometimes it can be annoying. But for the most part, I'm enjoying the experience.
    05-04-2018 01:55 PM
    I've been using Apple TV 4K with DirecTV Now and I love it. The only annoyance I have about Apple TV is the trackpad on the remote. I don't think it's easy to use and sometimes it can be annoying. But for the most part, I'm enjoying the experience.
    Same here with the Apple TV remote, I would prefer being able to select a channel by a number rather then scrolling through a lot of channels to find what I like. But for the monthly savings, I will put up with it.
    05-04-2018 02:14 PM
    I got rid of my cable about 3 months ago and haven’t looked back! You Tube TV and ATV 4K, w/Netflix and Amazon Prime! Love the UI and features of YTTV.
    05-04-2018 02:17 PM
    And to confirm, any recording options?

I got rid of my cable about 3 months ago and haven’t looked back! You Tube TV and ATV 4K, w/Netflix and Amazon Prime! Love the UI and features of YTTV.
    05-04-2018 03:36 PM
    And your thoughts thus far...
    It’s very simple. You can set it to record a particular show or the entire series (and further break down between all episodes or just first runs). What’s missing so far are some advanced settings that I’d like to eventually see. For example, you can’t request that a series record regardless of the network that’s airing it or set a maximum amount of recordings. I also found the DVR to be unreliable but that has gotten much better and I’m actually going to trust that a) it’s going to record when I tell it to and b) the recording will actually be watchable. I have to remind myself that this is still a beta product.
    ivanwi11iams likes this.
    05-04-2018 04:59 PM
84 123 ...