A Year after Cutting the Cable Cord

MB64

Trusted Member
Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
I went on YouTube and looked up “ using directv now on Roku, and there is a guide supposedly on there. I sent that link to my wife.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
So i have my wife testing the service back home. We have Roku. Right off the bat it’s annoying that you cant go right to a specific Channel. You have to keep pressing the remote button key to find what you are looking for. Any suggestion?

Yeah you either have to swipe through the channels or open up the guide. The channels are all alphabetical. You can set favorites though to make the process easier. Unlike traditional television, streaming services don’t use channel numbers so there’s no way (that I’m aware of; I have not tested every service on every device) to simply type in a number to go directly to a particular station.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I too cut the cord and I couldn’t be happier. The other awesome thing about DirectvNOW is that your logins work with the majority of the network apps. So the DVR thing isn’t as big of an issue because you can download the network app, throw your credentials in there, and watch whatever show you’re interested in.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Cutting the cord was the beat decision I made over a year ago. My bill was $165/mo and now with DirectvNow, internet and emby as my dvr Im paying $65/mo. Once the DVR releases for DirectvNow I can save another $5.

Best part of it all is being able to watch tv or my dvr anywhere without extra equipment. Couldnt do that with cable unless I bought a slingplayer.

This is about where we are. I have the scissors next to the cord now, just waiting to watch a few things on the DVR before I make the call later today.

$168 for DTV going to $55 for DTVNow with the $5 HBO add on.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I too cut the cord and I couldn’t be happier. The other awesome thing about DirectvNOW is that your logins work with the majority of the network apps. So the DVR thing isn’t as big of an issue because you can download the network app, throw your credentials in there, and watch whatever show you’re interested in.

DVR is missing for things that won't be. We've had some news in this area that has been covered on the local networks that I'd like to record and watch later. For most sitcoms and other shows though it's not that big of a deal, but some shows don't have that option.

TylerLV76

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
DVR is missing for things that won't be. We've had some news in this area that has been covered on the local networks that I'd like to record and watch later. For most sitcoms and other shows though it's not that big of a deal, but some shows don't have that option.

DVR can be remedied for OTA local channels relatively easily. Theres a few options you can go with.

Tablo - I used this for a while as its a stand alone device that only requires a hard drive plugged in via usb and an antenna. For $4.99/mo you will get unlimited recordings via the 4 tuners and one antenna. It will work exactly like a cable company DVR. You also watch live tv through Tablos app and can pause and rewind.

Emby - This is what I currently use and have been for the better part of a year. This requires a PC running the server but I already had one dedicated for Plex. You buy an HDHomeRun, I use 2, and the Emby server connects to it and records to a hard drive. Again, works the same as a cable company DVR and the software is substantially better than Tablo or any other DVR system. This also allows live tv through the app (which is available on all platforms) as well as pausing and rewinding. Your Emby system can be accessed anywhere that you have internet. $4.99/mo or a lifetime subscription for $119.99

Plex - like Emby but not as stable or feature filled. Ive tried Plex many times as I already have a lifetime subscription but it still has its issues. Same price as Emby and can be accessed anywhere you have internet.

HDHomeRun - I never tried it so I dont have anything to say about it.

Theres more options but they are less known and some very complicated so I wont go into them.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

Makes sense. Fortunately my local news network has all of their coverage also on their website to view.

I’m also using the beta and DVR is available on that. So it’s coming.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Makes sense. Fortunately my local news network has all of their coverage also on their website to view.

I’m also using the beta and DVR is available on that. So it’s coming.

Yeah some locals have it — used it for some of the news stories I mentioned.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I also tried PS Vue but liked the DTVNow interface better and some of the DVR function wasn’t that great compared to what I saw on YouTube for DTVNow.

MB64

Trusted Member
Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
So I’m already saving around 75-100 bucks a month....one final (?) question for now....if I were to watch a PPV event, how would I do that? Usually on cable provider there are PPV channels.

Chuck Finley69

Trusted Member
Mar 20, 2017
Visit site
Not to derail thread.... have you guys noticed that MobileNations just started a new forum “CordCutters” also. Seems like it’s only a few weeks old. I haven’t cut the cord yet, so I was here reading your thread and thought I’d mention it. Sorry for the interruption.....

MB64

Trusted Member
Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
No interruption, we are all family here. Lol
While in the same topic though. I have the first one pictured. Besides the obvious cost difference, what’s the difference between that and the stick?
0d0067122feab76c21441c4aaad34057.jpg

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Not to derail thread.... have you guys noticed that MobileNations just started a new forum “CordCutters” also. Seems like it’s only a few weeks old. I haven’t cut the cord yet, so I was here reading your thread and thought I’d mention it. Sorry for the interruption.....

Yep. We soft launched it a few days ago. Working the kinks out but I’m sure it’ll start being promoted very soon.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
No interruption, we are all family here. Lol
While in the same topic though. I have the first one pictured. Besides the obvious cost difference, what’s the difference between that and the stick? //uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180506/0d0067122feab76c21441c4aaad34057.jpg

Biggest differences are remote (one has voice control, which my  TV has and I like a lot), wireless network compatibility, etc. You can check more on the Roku models at:

https://forums.imore.com/e?link=htt....roku.com%2Fproducts%2Fcompare&token=uumEM6Fx

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Called DirecTV yesterday and cut the cord, and running DTV Now exclusively. Looking forward to the DVR release, and awaiting the free  TV I got for signing up. I already have 2 and it only allows 2 streams, but reading more streams will be available so I'll be ready. Got a cheap Amazon stick for $30 for the extra TV that doesn't get used much.

MB64

Trusted Member
Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Called DirecTV yesterday and cut the cord, and running DTV Now exclusively. Looking forward to the DVR release, and awaiting the free  TV I got for signing up. I already have 2 and it only allows 2 streams, but reading more streams will be available so I'll be ready. Got a cheap Amazon stick for $30 for the extra TV that doesn't get used much.

Lol. Same here. Got rid of phone and cable yesterday. Bill down to 75 for internet only. 35 for DTN so that’s 110 compared to 190 I was paying (207 with SHO) which I added just to watch homeland. Took it off after it finished last week. So even if I add both SHO and HBO that’s 10 more bucks. Also waiting for Apple TV to arrive.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73