I've been using Apple TV 4K with DirecTV Now and I love it. The only annoyance I have about Apple TV is the trackpad on the remote. I don't think it's easy to use and sometimes it can be annoying. But for the most part, I'm enjoying the experience.
    Use Apple’s remote app. It works well with the TV, in my opinion.
    Tartarus likes this.
    05-05-2018 03:52 PM
    Don’t you still need your cable provider for WiFi?
    05-05-2018 04:56 PM
    Yes, but you can have that as a separate bill, just for internet.
    So you’d need a smart TV for every room you want to watch tv in.....
    I always thought you needed a satellite dish for dish....go figure.
    05-05-2018 05:15 PM
    I was looking at AT&T’s direct tv service. Seems they give you a dvr I believe
    05-05-2018 05:15 PM
    You mean you pay for one. AT&T’s U-Verse service offers a DVR, too. I believe it is $7 a month.
    So that’s totally different than directtv now?
    Also looking at the reviews for directtv now app and not so good. On App Store
    05-05-2018 05:23 PM
    And getting in from the start at $35/month didn’t hurt either.
    My exact reason for staying with DTV NOW. I got in at the beginning and I’m paying $40/month for what is basically the equivalent of their top package and that includes HBO and Showtime.
    DirecTV knows what it’s doing when it comes to television so I’m confident it’ll continue to evolve the service.
    Tartarus likes this.
    05-05-2018 05:27 PM
    So that’s totally different than directtv now?
    Also looking at the reviews for directtv now app and not so good. On App Store
    As I’ve mentioned in this thread version 2.0 of the app is in beta and is likely near public release. It’s WAY better than the current offering. DTV NOW does not have DVR but, again, it’s in beta and is likely to be released very soon
    DirecTV NOW is a 100% streaming service. U-VERSE is not. This should be helpful: https://forums.imore.com/e?link=http...token=6xE62isv
    DTV NOW is available on several platforms like Apple TV, iOS, Roku, FireTV and Chromecast so you don’t need a smartTV in every room. I have zero smartTVs in my home and I’m able to watch TV in several different places. A full list is available at https://www.directvnow.com.
    Hope this helps!
    05-05-2018 05:34 PM
    Definitely helps. Thanks
    05-05-2018 05:36 PM
    Annual contract?
    05-05-2018 05:46 PM
    Never mind. Looking it up....no annual contract . Thanks for the info. May look into this when I get back home
    Rob Phillips likes this.
    05-05-2018 05:57 PM
    You know....now that i m reading this thread carefully and doing research, I always thought that “Apple TV” was an actual tv.....shows how much I know....don’t tell no one of my lack of Apple knowledge .....
    Last edited by MB64; 05-05-2018 at 06:19 PM.
    Tartarus and Rob Phillips like this.
    05-05-2018 06:09 PM
    I used to think the same years ago, too.
    Lmao.
    05-05-2018 06:52 PM
    Well folks, I just got the 35 dollar plan with an Apple TV.
    Rob Phillips likes this.
    05-05-2018 06:53 PM
    So i have my wife testing the service back home. We have Roku. Right off the bat it’s annoying that you cant go right to a specific Channel. You have to keep pressing the remote button key to find what you are looking for. Any suggestion?
    05-05-2018 07:08 PM
    I have Roku. Not Apple TV. I’ll get that in several weeks when they send it as part of my package deal
    05-05-2018 07:31 PM
    I went on YouTube and looked up “ using directv now on Roku, and there is a guide supposedly on there. I sent that link to my wife.
    05-05-2018 08:13 PM
    So i have my wife testing the service back home. We have Roku. Right off the bat it’s annoying that you cant go right to a specific Channel. You have to keep pressing the remote button key to find what you are looking for. Any suggestion?
    Yeah you either have to swipe through the channels or open up the guide. The channels are all alphabetical. You can set favorites though to make the process easier. Unlike traditional television, streaming services don’t use channel numbers so there’s no way (that I’m aware of; I have not tested every service on every device) to simply type in a number to go directly to a particular station.
    MB64 likes this.
    05-05-2018 08:39 PM
    I too cut the cord and I couldn’t be happier. The other awesome thing about DirectvNOW is that your logins work with the majority of the network apps. So the DVR thing isn’t as big of an issue because you can download the network app, throw your credentials in there, and watch whatever show you’re interested in.
    Tartarus likes this.
    05-06-2018 12:06 AM
    Cutting the cord was the beat decision I made over a year ago. My bill was $165/mo and now with DirectvNow, internet and emby as my dvr Im paying $65/mo. Once the DVR releases for DirectvNow I can save another $5.

Best part of it all is being able to watch tv or my dvr anywhere without extra equipment. Couldnt do that with cable unless I bought a slingplayer.
    This is about where we are. I have the scissors next to the cord now, just waiting to watch a few things on the DVR before I make the call later today.

$168 for DTV going to $55 for DTVNow with the $5 HBO add on.
    05-06-2018 08:12 AM
    I too cut the cord and I couldn’t be happier. The other awesome thing about DirectvNOW is that your logins work with the majority of the network apps. So the DVR thing isn’t as big of an issue because you can download the network app, throw your credentials in there, and watch whatever show you’re interested in.
    DVR is missing for things that won't be. We've had some news in this area that has been covered on the local networks that I'd like to record and watch later. For most sitcoms and other shows though it's not that big of a deal, but some shows don't have that option.
    05-06-2018 08:14 AM
    DVR is missing for things that won't be. We've had some news in this area that has been covered on the local networks that I'd like to record and watch later. For most sitcoms and other shows though it's not that big of a deal, but some shows don't have that option.
    DVR can be remedied for OTA local channels relatively easily. Theres a few options you can go with.

Tablo - I used this for a while as its a stand alone device that only requires a hard drive plugged in via usb and an antenna. For $4.99/mo you will get unlimited recordings via the 4 tuners and one antenna. It will work exactly like a cable company DVR. You also watch live tv through Tablos app and can pause and rewind.

Emby - This is what I currently use and have been for the better part of a year. This requires a PC running the server but I already had one dedicated for Plex. You buy an HDHomeRun, I use 2, and the Emby server connects to it and records to a hard drive. Again, works the same as a cable company DVR and the software is substantially better than Tablo or any other DVR system. This also allows live tv through the app (which is available on all platforms) as well as pausing and rewinding. Your Emby system can be accessed anywhere that you have internet. $4.99/mo or a lifetime subscription for $119.99

Plex - like Emby but not as stable or feature filled. Ive tried Plex many times as I already have a lifetime subscription but it still has its issues. Same price as Emby and can be accessed anywhere you have internet.

HDHomeRun - I never tried it so I dont have anything to say about it.

Theres more options but they are less known and some very complicated so I wont go into them.
    05-06-2018 08:43 AM
    Good info @TylerLV76! Not looking to spend any more money so will hold off for the DTVNow option which is in (eternal) beta for now. Hopefully not much longer.
    Tartarus likes this.
    05-06-2018 09:03 AM
    Does xbox support directv now?
    05-06-2018 09:32 AM
    Makes sense. Fortunately my local news network has all of their coverage also on their website to view.

I’m also using the beta and DVR is available on that. So it’s coming.
    robertk328 likes this.
    05-06-2018 10:26 AM
    Makes sense. Fortunately my local news network has all of their coverage also on their website to view.

I’m also using the beta and DVR is available on that. So it’s coming.
    Yeah some locals have it — used it for some of the news stories I mentioned.
    05-06-2018 10:40 AM
76 1234