What type of receiver do you have your Apple TV plugged into?

When the Apple TV is plugged via HDMI into my Receiver, with my Receiever plugged via HDMI into my TV, I get picture, but no sound.

-This is a 4th generation Apple TV without 4K option.

- I get the same result with both a Sony Receiver and a Samsung Receiver.

- I get the same result with both a Sharp TV, and a Sony TV.

- The Apple TV works perfectly with sound when plugged directly into a TV.

I need help getting this to work with a Receiver so I can utilize the Volume buttons for my IPhone remote app (please only comment if you’re willing to help me with this).

If the two receivers I’ve tried just aren’t compatable, I’d like to know which ones you are using?
    04-29-2018 06:17 PM
    Does your receiver support HDMI 2.0 (or later)?
    Are you using an HDMI 2.0 or later cables?
    04-29-2018 06:26 PM
    I am not sure if the receivers support HDMI 2.0.... I tried searching the manuals for HDMI 2.0 and could not find anything. I’m not sure about the cables, but when I use those to plug my Apple TV directly into my TV, I get sound and everything else.
    04-29-2018 06:41 PM
    We have the same Apple TV, and also had trouble with the HDMI cables. The one we originally used was old and we just could not get it to work (I can't recall if it was a picture with no sound, sound with no picture, or just a loss of both). Once my husband bought new HDMI cables (the one SwitchBeach mentioned) we had no issues whatsoever. Having the correct HDMI cable is a definite must with this Apple TV.

If your TV is newer, that would explain why hooking it up directly would work, so I'm guessing a new HDMI cable would fix the problem. But.... if I remember correctly I believe using the volume keys on your phone for the sound on the TV through the Apple TV only works if the Apple TV is directly hooked up to your regular TV. Don't quote me on that though. There is an Apple support article on this but I cannot seem to find it at the moment.

This is the receiver we use: Marantz US | SR5007
    04-30-2018 04:09 PM
    We have the same Apple TV, and also had trouble with the HDMI cables. The one we originally used was old and we just could not get it to work (I can't recall if it was a picture with no sound, sound with no picture, or just a loss of both). Once my husband bought new HDMI cables (the one SwitchBeach mentioned) we had no issues whatsoever. Having the correct HDMI cable is a definite must with this Apple TV.

If your TV is newer, that would explain why hooking it up directly would work, so I'm guessing a new HDMI cable would fix the problem. But.... if I remember correctly I believe using the volume keys on your phone for the sound on the TV through the Apple TV only works if the Apple TV is directly hooked up to your regular TV. Don't quote me on that though. There is an Apple support article on this but I cannot seem to find it at the moment.

This is the receiver we use: Marantz US | SR5007
    The support article says that’s volume buttons on the phone work when a receiver is used. I just bought a Receiver with HDMI 2.0, so maybe that will make a difference. If it still doesn’t work when I try it, I will do cables next... but I know the cables work when plugged directly to the TV.
    Sherry_B likes this.
    04-30-2018 06:45 PM
    The newer HDMI cords are definitely a good suggestion. Did you check the HDMI-CEC settings? Here is the Apple Support Article that I found.
    Sherry_B likes this.
    04-30-2018 08:08 PM
    The newer HDMI cords are definitely a good suggestion. Did you check the HDMI-CEC settings? Here is the Apple Support Article that I found.
    Yes, as stated above, I read the article in regards to this. I checked all settings available to me. I will troubleshoot using the new cables first, and if that doesn’t work I will try the new (to me) HDMI 2.0 Receiver I just bought and see which one (or none, or both) does the trick.
    04-30-2018 08:12 PM
    HDMI 2.0 cables don’t make a difference. Back to Amazon they go.

I’ll try the HDMI 2.0 Receiver once it gets here. I also found a specific type of receiver that’s supposedly proven to work, so I may get one of those asap once I learn more about it.
    05-02-2018 09:35 PM
    I just tried a newer Pioneer receiver and I’m still having the same issue
    05-08-2018 06:53 PM
    I just tried a newer Pioneer receiver and I’m still having the same issue
    Seems like it's time for you to contact Apple support directly.
    05-08-2018 09:18 PM
    I’m going to do that in a couple days. If they can’t help me, I’m going to buy a soundbar and use that as my audio. I really don’t want to contact NASA about this.
    05-08-2018 09:55 PM
    I’m going to do that in a couple days. If they can’t help me, I’m going to buy a soundbar and use that as my audio. I really don’t want to contact NASA about this.

If you get a soundbar, take a look at the Sonos PlayBar. It works with Apple TV.
    05-09-2018 03:35 PM
    Have you tried resetting the Apple TV to its factory settings?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202118
    05-11-2018 08:39 AM
    No receivers here. All our ATV's are connected via bluetooth to sound bards, some with and some without sub woofers.
    05-11-2018 08:56 AM