AirPods Pro deal at Amazon: Save $52 for a limited time!

We decided to go with YouTube TV. We were paying $320-ish for the Spectrum bundle. We went with 200meg internet for $65/mo and YouTube TV & Showtime for $50/mo. So we went from $320/mo to $115/mo and it's been great.
    bakron1 likes this.
    10-02-2018 08:12 PM
    I wouldn't mind snipping the cord next year when our Xfinity contract is up again but it's gonna require Hulu or YouTube TV or similar to stream live and previously aired stuff in surround sound. Until that happens I'll pay the premium. There no reason they can't be doing it. Xfinity X1 and AT&T U-verse are both IPTV tech basically streaming vs the traditional signal that requires a tuner module and they have it. It's just over a private network vs the internet.
    bakron1 likes this.
    10-03-2018 03:37 AM
    We switched to DTV Now a while back and the only thing we miss is the ability to pause live TV, rewind something we missed, etc. Picture quality is great (and we had DTV satellite to start which is excellent) and reliability has been solid after a few initial hiccups.
    Apple TV remote I have a Griffin case on one and a generic amazon one on another which makes it a bit easier to hold. No issues getting used to the touch pad as i've used the  TV since the model came out with the touch.
    Everyone's different, but giving up the live TV pause to save $100/mo was a no brainer.
    bakron1 and mumfoau like this.
    10-03-2018 05:06 AM
    I was with PlayStation Vue for about 18 months. It was good. Earlier this year, they raised rates, saying they were going to be adding local channels. But, I never got anymore locals than the one I always got. They announced a second price hike, and I took a hike to Hulu Live. Not only do I get the live TV I want, with the local channels I watch, but I also get access to their streaming library of movies and original TV series. With HBO, it’s a pretty good price.
    Just_Me_D and mumfoau like this.
    10-27-2018 08:39 PM
    I’m still trying to get the guts to cut the cord...
    Lee_Bo and aximtreo like this.
    10-28-2018 12:59 AM
    I did it a few years ago and my bank account has thanked me ever since. Before I canceled Xfinity I ran a little trial with DirecTV NOW. For a month I told myself I was only going to use DTV NOW even though I still had Xfinity so if I decided it wasn’t for me I still had my Xfinity service to fall back on. I ended up rarely needing to use Xfinity and found solutions for the few times I did.
    mumfoau likes this.
    10-28-2018 05:17 AM
    Twenty some years ago I found that the very small amount of television I did watch was becoming impossible due to the demands of wife and children’s viewing schedules and not wanting to buy another gogglebox I stopped altogether. Now children flown the coop and wife popped her clogs I can’t find a single reason to have a TV at all (gave the last one to leaving daughter). What you guys do with cable as well as terrestrial I have no idea !!
    10-28-2018 07:08 AM
    we did it 6 months or so ago and it's been fine. most painful thing is you lose the ability to pause/rewind, so if I see a highlight and want to show my son, I can't. I can look it up on youtube but that's not the same thing.
    I have DTV Now... if another service has pause/rewind I'll switch in a heartbeat.
    mumfoau likes this.
    10-28-2018 07:32 AM
    ...I have DTV Now... if another service has pause/rewind I'll switch in a heartbeat.
    I believe PSVue allows pause and rewind on live TV, so does HDHomeRun Premium.

Ive given my DTV Now account to my daughter in college since I didn't want to lose the $15 promo price. Im strictly using HDHomeRun tuners for OTA in Emby and streaming cable from my work since we get it free with our package. If I needed Cable channels I would use HDHomeRun Premium.

Ive saved so much money over the last 2 years of ditching cable that Ive more than paid for all my electronics updates throughout the house.
    10-28-2018 10:13 AM
    we did it 6 months or so ago and it's been fine. most painful thing is you lose the ability to pause/rewind, so if I see a highlight and want to show my son, I can't. I can look it up on youtube but that's not the same thing.
    I have DTV Now... if another service has pause/rewind I'll switch in a heartbeat.
    Oh I almost never use the rewind feature. I need to convince the wife that we can do it and still watch the news and family feud every evening.
    10-28-2018 11:34 AM
    Just do it, plenty of options out there.
    mumfoau likes this.
    10-28-2018 03:13 PM

Ive given my DTV Now account to my daughter in college since I didn't want to lose the $15 promo price. Im strictly using HDHomeRun tuners for OTA in Emby and streaming cable from my work since we get it free with our package. If I needed Cable channels I would use HDHomeRun Premium.

Ive saved so much money over the last 2 years of ditching cable that Ive more than paid for all my electronics updates throughout the house.
    Even the non premium HD Homerun let’s you pause and rewind. I have an Apple TV and the channels app with an external antenna.
    The channels app is expensive, but well worth the cost for the features. And you only pay for the app once.
    I even have the option to go premium if I want more channels.
    10-28-2018 03:18 PM
    Even the non premium HD Homerun let’s you pause and rewind. I have an Apple TV and the channels app with an external antenna.
    The channels app is expensive, but well worth the cost for the features. And you only pay for the app once.
    I even have the option to go premium if I want more channels.
    Gotta keep in mind, some folks dont want to run a server for apps like channels though.

I probably should have mentioned also that the ATV doesnt have a HDHomeRun app.
    10-28-2018 03:22 PM
    Gotta keep in mind, some folks dont want to run a server for apps like channels though.

I probably should have mentioned also that the ATV doesnt have a HDHomeRun app.
    Agreed, I guess it’s a matter of what some folks are comfortable with.
    I wish I wasn’t in a valley here. I would be getting more channels off this antenna.
    But I will say, the picture quality is as good as cable tv. And for my viewing needs, it’s enough for me.
    10-28-2018 03:36 PM
    Agreed, I guess it’s a matter of what some folks are comfortable with.
    I wish I wasn’t in a valley here. I would be getting more channels off this antenna.
    But I will say, the picture quality is as good as cable tv. And for my viewing needs, it’s enough for me.
    Absolutely. I have been using the HDHomeRuns with Emby for a long time and I have yet to see a dip in quality. I like the HDHomeRun app a bit more as it tunes faster but I let emby control my recordings and such. The HDHomeRun DVR is only $35/year though so Im strongly considering going that route soon.
    joemd60 likes this.
    10-28-2018 03:40 PM
    Oh I almost never use the rewind feature. I need to convince the wife that we can do it and still watch the news and family feud every evening.
    Do a trial and see. I think DTV Now is 7 days.
    mumfoau likes this.
    10-28-2018 04:26 PM

I’ll check out PS Vue, but have to hope DTV will offer at some point!
    10-28-2018 04:26 PM
    Do a trial and see. I think DTV Now is 7 days.
    Signing up for the free trial now! I think the 105 channels for 65 bucks might be the way to go.

Oh snap, all the episodes of “Greenleaf” that I’ve missed this season!!
    Last edited by mumfoau; 10-29-2018 at 11:28 AM.
    10-29-2018 11:10 AM
    Signing up for the free trial now! I think the 105 channels for 65 bucks might be the way to go.
    Worth a shot
    i'm going to try PS Vue again to see how the pause live tv works (DTV doesn't have it). There's a trial period there too just check your channels and try the interface, features, etc.
    mumfoau likes this.
    10-29-2018 11:34 AM
    Worth a shot
    i'm going to try PS Vue again to see how the pause live tv works (DTV doesn't have it). There's a trial period there too just check your channels and try the interface, features, etc.
    From the OP, looks like I might need to do something different to get local stuff. Can’t miss a Panther game lol
    10-29-2018 11:35 AM
    From the OP, looks like I might need to do something different to get local stuff. Can’t miss a Panther game lol
    no you can get locals with DTV Now, no worries. there's a chance certain areas have issues but that's what the trial is for. and the best part about it is you can switch easily with no equipment to return,etc.
    mumfoau likes this.
    10-29-2018 11:50 AM
    In case you guys didn't know, or just to remind everyone, one of iMore's sister forums is called CordCutters, and it's a great way to share information or to get information.
    joemd60 likes this.
    10-29-2018 11:52 AM
    You just have to do it, I procrastinated for a long time and now that I have cut the cord over a year and a half ago, I never looked back.

Now, not only do I have Direct TV Now, but, Amazon Video and You Tube apps which gives me options I never had with cable and I am saving 80 dollars a month.
    mumfoau likes this.
    11-01-2018 04:56 AM
    Now, not only do I have Direct TV Now, but, Amazon Video and You Tube apps which gives me options I never had with cable and I am saving 80 dollars a month.
    Hmmm, that’s almost new iPhone every year!
    bakron1 likes this.
    11-01-2018 05:54 AM
    Well then take a look at another MoNa site, cordcutters.com. Lots of info there for you to take a look at.

And I think there might even be a contest going on.

And FYI, the powers that be are working on getting the CC forums on TapaTalk. Should be available very soon.
    Last edited by Lee_Bo; 11-01-2018 at 12:07 PM.
    11-01-2018 11:47 AM
56 123