Finally Cut the Cable Cord

thedonp

Banned
May 19, 2017
Visit site
Doesn’t matter if they use the login. Cable logins can be used multiple times. I have 3 Apple TV’s in my house. All using their login. And our 3 iPads all use the login as well. We have 150 mbps speeds so all the streaming we do does just fine. I could get speeds up to 1 GB but no reason to pay for that. We saved $120 a month once we cut the cord. Ill be honest, if I didn’t have my parents login I could never make it work. If have to pay for cable.

I need someone's login lol

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
What are you subscribed to?

I just download the apps and watch the shows through them. For what I watch I do not need a subscription. Although when Youtube Tv comes to my area I may try that as my parents are looking to cut the cord too and we could share logins.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Bought a used, but like new Apple TV 4th generation 64 gig box off Craigslist for 80.00 and have the Direct TV streaming package and going to save 65.00 a month compared to cable.

I have a 35 MPS connection speed and haven't noticed any lag at all. Also bought my own cable modem which will save me another 8.00 a month.

Next step is a HDHomeRun box, digital antenna and the channels app and I will have all my local channels in HD.

So far I am not regretting cutting the cable cord and just got tired of rising cable bills and getting less content. So far I liking the move and not going back any time soon.

Just thought I would share my Apple TV experience with the great folks on this forums who might be thinking of cutting the cable cord like I did.

Congrats. I cut the cord a few months ago. Between DirectvNOW, Hulu and Netflix, we haven't missed cable at all. I was debating on getting an Apple TV but honestly, there are far cheaper options which do the exact same thing (aside from mirroring my Apple devices but I've got an HDMI cord for my MacBook for that) so I don't think there is much need to spend the money, in my opinion. After all, it is all about cutting costs.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
By cutting the cord, do you lose the ability to record your TV shows? That would be a deal breaker for me.

I have DirectvNOW and they don't currently offer the ability to record. But they do have quite a bit of on demand content. And you can use your DirectNOW logins for many of the network apps which allow you to watch their content through the app/website.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I use my mom's cable login for plenty of TV everywhere apps but I still like Hulu's TV service. For $40 a month to have those 50 channels that can stream live and also have Hulu's library included in that is a steal over any of the other services. They only offer 50 hours of DVR but most of the news shows that I'd like to DVR are pretty much available on demand an hour or so after the show has ended. Plus, as time goes on Hulu's Live TV login will work for more TV everywhere apps.

Note: Hulu has a terrible new UI on Apple TV that is really going to need time to getting used to if you subscribe. Only downfall of the service itself. It's horrendous.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
So far I have been very pleased with the 64 gig Apple TV box and for the 80.00 I paid for it, including the remote, it was a no brainer.

Next step is an HDHomeRun box and the channels app and I should be all set. The next battle are these cable companies who seem to give better rates to new customers then ones who have been with them a while.

By the way, I am using the Apple TV on a 30MPS network and haven't had any major lag issues and doesn't look like I will need to upgrade to the faster 100MPS speed.

So far everything seems to be working great and I don't miss my old cable channels one bit.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I use my mom's cable login for plenty of TV everywhere apps but I still like Hulu's TV service. For $40 a month to have those 50 channels that can stream live and also have Hulu's library included in that is a steal over any of the other services. They only offer 50 hours of DVR but most of the news shows that I'd like to DVR are pretty much available on demand an hour or so after the show has ended. Plus, as time goes on Hulu's Live TV login will work for more TV everywhere apps.

Note: Hulu has a terrible new UI on Apple TV that is really going to need time to getting used to if you subscribe. Only downfall of the service itself. It's horrendous.

Yeah the Hulu app on apple TV, the new UI is awful. Harder to find things now. It's a complete mess.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Yeah the Hulu app on apple TV, the new UI is awful. Harder to find things now. It's a complete mess.

I like that their end game is to be show-centric but it seems like they're sacrificing screen real estate on any given screen just to give us a big image. It's fairly odd.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Thank you. That is a good article.

I'm not sure I'm ready to cut the cord yet. My biggest issue, which I'm trying to learn more about, is local sports. For instance I am a big hockey fan. Our games are on MSG. Is there a way to watch our games?

Not sure because my area uses FSN for most local sports, which is part of my DirecTV Now service. Your best option would be to check the channel lineups of the different streaming services.

What Internet service does everyone use?

I use WideOpenWest, a regional cable provider. They have decent customer service and don’t triple my rate every twelve months.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
What Internet service does everyone use?

I use WOW with 35MBS and Direct TV Now, so far the picture quality is excellent and no lag. Occasionally we might have a slight pause or interruption, but nothing to justify upgrading to the faster speed.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Not sure because my area uses FSN for most local sports, which is part of my DirecTV Now service. Your best option would be to check the channel lineups of the different streaming services.

I use WideOpenWest, a regional cable provider. They have decent customer service and don’t triple my rate every twelve months.

I also use WOW here in the Dearborn Heights area and haven't had any major issues.

anon(73368)

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
I ended up ditching Comcast and switched to DirectTV. Ended up getting 4 rooms DVR for 47 a month. That includes my 25 dollar discount for having att unlimited +. As for internet stayed with Comcast got the 150 meg speed for 55 a month. Between both I pay around 102-105 a month. I was at 200 when I had Comcast tv package.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
I use WOW with 35MBS and Direct TV Now, so far the picture quality is excellent and no lag. Occasionally we might have a slight pause or interruption, but nothing to justify upgrading to the faster speed.

I can get Fios for $40 per month for a year. I'm sure it goes up after that though. I don't want cable at all, except for local sports. It's my wife I have to convince.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I can get Fios for $40 per month for a year. I'm sure it goes up after that though. I don't want cable at all, except for local sports. It's my wife I have to convince.

I just renegotiated my internet rate to $31.00 a month and the next step is the HDHomeRun box and the channels app for my local TV channels.

Normally I wouldn't even care about the local channels except I love my sports, golf and college football are mainly shown on the local channels so I am adding the digital antenna and HDHomeRun box and I should be all set.

So far I am liking the Apple TV box and not missing cable at all and the payoff is I am saving $70.00 a month which is a good thing.

khurtwilliams

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
We have never been able to cut the cord. Comcast Xfinity is the only broadband provider in the area. Eliminating the cable portion of our package would not provide significant savings. 100Mbps broadband Internet without cable is $85/month, with cable (220 channels) it's $90/month.

To stream the Formual 1 races live from the NBC Sports Network I need to activate the feed with my Xfinity account. To use any of the TV apps on the Apple TV, I need to activate them and that requires logging into the Xfinity account.

We can cut the cord if we choose to stop enjoying the content we want to enjoy. That's like getting rid of your car to save money and bike riding two hours one way to work everyday during the summer and winter while living in Pennsylvania.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
I put this in the comments on the article that just ran on the front page but figured I'd drop it here too in case I missed anything in my research and someone has some ideas

We've been looking into doing it ourselves since our Comcast contract is up in November. However, I've run into a big problem. ALL and I mean ALL of the big streaming stuff that you'd use to watch currently airing stuff.........so Hulu, Sling, DirectTV's streaming thing, Playstation Vue, "The CW" app, etc. ALL only offer two channel stereo sound. The only way to get surround sound on anything is to wait for it to come out on Netflix months later, if Netflix even is able to get it in the first place. Even HBO screws you over. HBO Go app, the one you use if you have an HBO subscription through cable, supports surround sound. The HBO Now app, the one you use if you don't have cable, does not. This is 2017 not 2007 come on!

We tried out a dragon box but even with real debrid to help find better streams it's still hit or miss on if you can find some with surround because they're more focused on the picture and even that usually looks washed out/flat on my plasma so yeah. Then there's the fact that something like a dragon box, kodi, etc. is kind of a gray area.

Seems like the choice in the end is pretty good picture and garbage sound (hulu, sling etc.), mediocre picture and mediocre to garbage sound (kodi etc), or keep paying $$$$$ to the cable company.

Hendri Hendri

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
I like that their end game is to be show-centric but it seems like they're sacrificing screen real estate on any given screen just to give us a big image. It's fairly odd.

Really ? I kinda like new hulu Ui, beautiful comparing to HBO, showtime, CW, CW seed, directv now. Only would be great if on the apple tv main menu has some trailer or picture instead of green hulu screen :v

Btw what's the different between cw and cw seed ? Anyone know ?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox