Finally Cut the Cable Cord

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Bought a used, but like new Apple TV 4th generation 64 gig box off Craigslist for 80.00 and have the Direct TV streaming package and going to save 65.00 a month compared to cable.

I have a 35 MPS connection speed and haven't noticed any lag at all. Also bought my own cable modem which will save me another 8.00 a month.

Next step is a HDHomeRun box, digital antenna and the channels app and I will have all my local channels in HD.

So far I am not regretting cutting the cable cord and just got tired of rising cable bills and getting less content. So far I liking the move and not going back any time soon.

Just thought I would share my Apple TV experience with the great folks on this forums who might be thinking of cutting the cable cord like I did.

violetjune

Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
I've been cable free for over 2 1/2 years now. I use the Amazon Box and Netflix of course. I also use Kodi Tv with our Amazon Box. So basically I'm out 10.00 a month for my Netflix binge addiction

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
We cut the cord and switched to a combination of DirecTV Now, Netflix, and Amazon and haven’t regretted it one bit. I have all the television I need and DTV Now gives me access to local Fox and ABC programming, including FSN Detroit for my Tigers games. The best part is $90/month less being deducted from my checking account.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I cut the cord a couple of years back, I believe, and like everyone else, I’m glad I did...

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
The best thing about not being actually subscribed to cable and a streaming service is that if you don't like it or don't want to use it for a while, it's as simple as stopping your account and starting it up again whenever you please. No sitting on the phone and being asked all these questions as to why by some jackass trying to convince you to stay.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
The best thing about not being actually subscribed to cable and a streaming service is that if you don't like it or don't want to use it for a while, it's as simple as stopping your account and starting it up again whenever you please. No sitting on the phone and being asked all these questions as to why by some jackass trying to convince you to stay.

Couldn’t agree more. There aren’t many things more irritating than having to convince a retention rep that there’s nothing that he or she can do to keep my business only to have them spend 20 minutes trying to convince me otherwise.

Tpence2177

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
We really thought about cutting the cord when our hopper messed up a while back. Unfortunately I can only get 6mbps internet at our house right now. Comcast said they would run lines for $6 per foot. Would cost like 15k or more to get cable Internet. I can stream Netflix fine and Hulu fine, but we are too far away from our local channels to get news. Right now dish is our best option I guess....

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
We really thought about cutting the cord when our hopper messed up a while back. Unfortunately I can only get 6mbps internet at our house right now. Comcast said they would run lines for $6 per foot. Would cost like 15k or more to get cable Internet. I can stream Netflix fine and Hulu fine, but we are too far away from our local channels to get news. Right now dish is our best option I guess....

Being at 6mbps isn't really that bad for any of these services if it's the only stream you have going on the network. But if someone else is streaming at the same time, that's where you run into trouble.

Tpence2177

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Yup that is our problem. If we want to watch separate things. That wouldn't really happen. Also we use the wifi for our phones as well, we don't have unlimited plans so we would have to upgrade to them too costing us around $40 more a month making the profit around $50 then

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Bought a used, but like new Apple TV 4th generation 64 gig box off Craigslist for 80.00 and have the Direct TV streaming package and going to save 65.00 a month compared to cable.

I have a 35 MPS connection speed and haven't noticed any lag at all. Also bought my own cable modem which will save me another 8.00 a month.

Next step is a HDHomeRun box, digital antenna and the channels app and I will have all my local channels in HD.

So far I am not regretting cutting the cable cord and just got tired of rising cable bills and getting less content. So far I liking the move and not going back any time soon.

Just thought I would share my Apple TV experience with the great folks on this forums who might be thinking of cutting the cable cord like I did.

I did the same. Saving about $40+ a month. Loving my apple tv and streaming all of the shows that I watch.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I cut the cord but I use my mom's cable login so I pretty still get everything any ways on my Apple TV. ESPN and all. Also have Netflix and Hulu.

Tpence2177

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
I cut the cord but I use my mom's cable login so I pretty still get everything any ways on my Apple TV. ESPN and all. Also have Netflix and Hulu.

That's what we could do as well because my parents don't have internet so they have no need for online streaming lol. If we could just get better internet it isn't bad at all even with a 3rd gen Apple TV. Sigh... maybe one of these days. $90 a month saved would be really nice.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
That's what we could do as well because my parents don't have internet so they have no need for online streaming lol. If we could just get better internet it isn't bad at all even with a 3rd gen Apple TV. Sigh... maybe one of these days. $90 a month saved would be really nice.

Doesn’t matter if they use the login. Cable logins can be used multiple times. I have 3 Apple TV’s in my house. All using their login. And our 3 iPads all use the login as well. We have 150 mbps speeds so all the streaming we do does just fine. I could get speeds up to 1 GB but no reason to pay for that. We saved $120 a month once we cut the cord. Ill be honest, if I didn’t have my parents login I could never make it work. If have to pay for cable.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods