5th gen Apple TV: Would you buy?

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Rumors are starting about a 5th gen Apple TV this year. What would it take to make you buy one?

I'm assuming most would say 4K but for me I don't need that.

What'd be your killer feature to get you to drop some $$ on one? What model(s) do you have already?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
For me it depends on what value it adds. If the 5th gen offers 4K and I've invested in a 4K television I'd likely buy one. Otherwise the ball is in Apple's court to wow me with some new feature I can't live without.

anon(4697585)

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm not interested in 4K as my to is mostly used to watch Sponge Bob :(

I can't think of anything more I need from my TV but I'm open to the change.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Whether it be a spec bump for gaming, or the ability for 4K content, that still wouldn't convince me to upgrade. I honestly can't think of something that would make me upgrade. I pretty much use it for streaming video.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I currently have the original Apple TV (yes, still in use) and a 4th gen. If the 5th gen supports 4K, then I'll get one. Many of the monitors and video walls I install are 4K and I'd have to get one just to show that off. :)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Like the others, I can't think of anything that would cause me to rush out and upgrade from my current 4th generations TV to a 5th generation model. I'm not going to say I wouldn't buy one, but I can't think of anything that would make it a must-have item.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Rumors are starting about a 5th gen Apple TV this year. What would it take to make you buy one?

I'm assuming most would say 4K but for me I don't need that.

What'd be your killer feature to get you to drop some $$ on one? What model(s) do you have already?

Hmm, thats a good question. I would also agree with you about the 4K support. While it would be nice. I think most people are still keeping their 1080p TVs for a little while. 1080p is still plenty clear. :) With regards to features.. I'm pretty happy with whats on the table at the moment. I think it would be cool for Apple to drop the 32GB model and just have a 64GB version? I know this isn't a feature but maybe a different colour option? :) While the black definitely looks good. I like having colours in the house. Obviously the standard spec bump in the GPU and CPU category.

Chemy JMHT

VR ******
Sep 9, 2016
Visit site
I think having more options and lowering the price to the minimum possible.

Giving it more Offline options and maybe PiP and PoP options, due the amount of new TVs ables to connect to any kind of network maybe some multiple simultaneous stream options.

That would be great.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
If it's 4K, I may get one & put the 4th gen I just bought in my bedroom. My living room TV is 4K & even though everything looks great on it (even some of our crappy local channels), I'd love to use it to its full potential.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
If it's 4K, I may get one & put the 4th gen I just bought in my bedroom. My living room TV is 4K & even though everything looks great on it (even some of our crappy local channels), I'd love to use it to its full potential.

Yup... and when the amount of 4k TVs goes up over time, you'll eventually be replacing the Apple TV anyway :)

evanking527

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
Whatever it is, I’m buying it. Let’s go over the recent upgrades that will be added by default:

Faster grapics - A9 or A10 processor. The 12.9 inch iPad Pro has the strength rivaling an XBOX 360, so you would imagine that their stationary set-top box would be powerful as well. Remember the gameplay on the iPhone 7 Plus at the September event? With the A10 Fusion it was able to render more objects while not dropping frame rate.

6 core graphics chip - pioneered in the iPhone 7. 50% faster than the A9 while using 2/3 the power.

Bluetooth 5 - announced last year, going to Bluetoooth 5 will automatically mean better battery life in controllers, more possibilites with the Apple TV app, and stronger connectivity between devices. With Bluetooth being the main mode of connectivity with their other products, the possibilities of speed increases we could not even fathom yet.

4K - duh.

But remember, they made a 5K iMac in 2014, even before 4K penetrated the market. What if they surprise us with something beyond 4K?

Besides Bluetooth 5, these aren’t new things or new technologies that are rumors. These are all things Apple has already done in their other products. So just imagine putting these things in the next Apple TV. Now imagine all the new things they haven’t even used yet in any other product. Yes, I am definitely getting the next Apple TV.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
What'd be your killer feature to get you to drop some $$ on one?

I've heard rumors of Apple adding Amazon Prime TV, so for me personally that would rock if I can toss these annoying Roku's out the window.

What model(s) do you have already?

I don't have an Apple TV... yet. Waiting to see what goodies they'll be offering when I watch the WWDC17 in the morning.

IvanKaramazov

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
I fully expect a new Apple TV (in the Fall?) to support 4K, but more important for me is that it supports one or more of the HDR standards. I'll probably be in the market for a new TV in a year or two, and I'll definitely be looking for HDR.

I'm pretty sure the pieces are in place. The new iPad Pros are the first Apple devices to claim HDR video capability, and the next iPhone with its OLED screen will likely follow suit. I would be shocked if the next Apple TV release, whether this Fall or next year, doesn't coincide with the release of 4K HDR content on the iTunes store as well.

On the gaming side.... in theory an Apple TV with a more recent A series chip could be a gaming powerhouse, but the sad reality is that Apple seems to have very little interest in gaming beyond Crossy Road and its ilk. I'd love to believe that would change for the 5th gen, but I'm not holding my breath.

WCraig

Jun 1, 2017
Visit site
Whatever it is, I’m buying it. Let’s go over the recent upgrades that will be added by default:

Faster grapics - A9 or A10 processor. The 12.9 inch iPad Pro has the strength rivaling an XBOX 360, so you would imagine that their stationary set-top box would be powerful as well. Remember the gameplay on the iPhone 7 Plus at the September event? With the A10 Fusion it was able to render more objects while not dropping frame rate.

6 core graphics chip - pioneered in the iPhone 7. 50% faster than the A9 while using 2/3 the power.

Bluetooth 5 - announced last year, going to Bluetoooth 5 will automatically mean better battery life in controllers, more possibilites with the Apple TV app, and stronger connectivity between devices. With Bluetooth being the main mode of connectivity with their other products, the possibilities of speed increases we could not even fathom yet.

4K - duh.

But remember, they made a 5K iMac in 2014, even before 4K penetrated the market. What if they surprise us with something beyond 4K?

Besides Bluetooth 5, these aren’t new things or new technologies that are rumors. These are all things Apple has already done in their other products. So just imagine putting these things in the next Apple TV. Now imagine all the new things they haven’t even used yet in any other product. Yes, I am definitely getting the next Apple TV.

I'd expect a new AppleTV to sport an array of microphones like the HomePod and thus far field Siri.

Further, I think it is quite possible that Apple could come out with a 'sound bar' version so it could borrow some of the advanced audio magic from the HomePod. That could make it a unique product among 'streaming boxes'.

Of course, price is always an issue. And with the Apple TV, those of us outside the USA seem to get the short end of the stick regarding programming.

Craig

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner