What do you use your Apple TV for?

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm currently in a 1 month trial if DirectTVNow and I'm loving it!!! Won't be able to fully cut the cable until September and then I'll just grab an antenna for local.

If I could get the Washington Nationals another way, I'd do it too. But I'm stuck with cable or going to 81 games at the ballpark ;)

bcandiolo

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
I use my Apple TV 4 32gb only for AirPlay Mirroring. Recently bought a 4K TV and with WebOS 3.0. Netflix, YouTube and other streaming apps are much faster and when using 4K, Apple TV can't compete.
Also bought a Chrome Cast Ultra, not as fast as my new LG 49" LED TV Native Apps.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
If I could get the Washington Nationals another way, I'd do it too. But I'm stuck with cable or going to 81 games at the ballpark ;)

If you have T-Mobile or know someone with it, you can simply get MLB.tv for free on April 4th. It's pretty easy to set a fake location for a moment in order to start the stream of a Nationals game and just turn it off once the game is streaming.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
If you have T-Mobile or know someone with it, you can simply get MLB.tv for free on April 4th. It's pretty easy to set a fake location for a moment in order to start the stream of a Nationals game and just turn it off once the game is streaming.

I watch almost all 162 games, if I can help it... I have read they are cracking down on addressing spoofs.

Dgray2712

Dec 7, 2016
Visit site
Anyone in here use PlayStation Vue? Thinking about switching. Currently using my Roku, but thinking about getting an Apple TV if I do switch. Would like some feedback if anyone has tried it.

cuttheredwire

Apr 28, 2016
Visit site
Anyone in here use PlayStation Vue? Thinking about switching. Currently using my Roku, but thinking about getting an Apple TV if I do switch. Would like some feedback if anyone has tried it.

You probably should start a separate thread to get attention to your question. It's a good topic. I'm curious myself.

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I mainly use my Apple TV for watching my movie library from iTunes, YouTube, and CBSN.
I gave Sling TV a try but cancelled on the first day.

Icyhot1966

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
Podcasts, Netflix, YouTube, and AirPlay (for movie files and Amazon Prime). That's really about it. Maybe some Bloomberg, CNN, or ABC News here and there.

Note: I have a 3rd gen Apple TV and a PS2 (for DVDs) hooked up to a 32". That's it.

It absolutely sucks the Apple TV has to be connected to the internet for AirPlay to work.

knotsure

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
Now that I upgraded from the MacBook 12” 2015 to the MacBook Pro (no touchbar) with upgraded ram my wireless streaming experience with the Apple TV is much better. No hiccups or little stutters just seamless wireless entertainment.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I don't have that much free time. Oh, wait.
I use it mostly for streaming Music and when friends are over for watching movies.

In addition to above: I have since a few months a Netflix subscription and a free 1 month trial with Amazon Prime, which is extended with one month extra when I wanted to cancel my subscription.
It has made watching tv series a lot easier for me.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I bought my used Apple TV 4th Generation 64 gig model last May when we decided to cut the cord with our local cable TV provider WOW. I have the channels app and a HDHomeRun setup for local TV channels and Direct TV now deluxe package for the other channels.

We have a basic 50MPS connection that cost 30 dollars a month along with the Direct TV now package that is $70.00, we where paying close to $180.00 a month for cable. So our total savings is $80.00 a month. This savings pays a large portion of our property taxes and I couldn't be happier.

When we first subscribed to Direct TV Now, we didn't have the local channels like ABC, NBC, CBS and FOX. Since that time, we now have all the local channels and a few more have popped up and our bill is still the same cost. Not like cable who kept raising our rates and removing some of the channels as part of their package consolidation methods.

I do miss the cable remote which allowed me to select the channel i wanted by a number compared to scrolling through the Direct TV menus with the Apple remote. But for the money we are saving, I have learned to adapt. The picture quality of the Direct TV streaming service has been vastly improved, at first we would get server loading errors and the service would go down for a few hours at a time.

But the past few months the service has been great and I haven't noticed any difference in the picture quality compared to my cable company. I watch the golf channel, hockey college and pro football and it's as good as any cable service. My initial investment for my entire system has been as follows:

Apple TV 4th Generation 64 gig used $80.00
HDHomeRun box used 50.00
Arris Cable model used 20.00
Total Equipment investment $150.00

If you where thinking about cutting the cable cord, I would say go for it, even with the few quirks I get now and then, the cost savings has been well worth it for my brother and myself and we are not looking back.

Another nice feature is we are planning on moving to Florida in the near future and we can take our equipment with us and all we need is a cable connection, give our router MAC ID to the new cable company and sign in to our Apple TV and Direct TV now accounts and we are back in business. Just thought I would pass it along.

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Also cut the cord, I use it for the major streaming service, but mostly I love the airplay feature. I can stream right from my iPhone or Mac Mini right to the big screen with ease.

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I bought my used Apple TV 4th Generation 64 gig model last May when we decided to cut the cord with our local cable TV provider WOW. I have the channels app and a HDHomeRun setup for local TV channels and Direct TV now deluxe package for the other channels.

We have a basic 50MPS connection that cost 30 dollars a month along with the Direct TV now package that is $70.00, we where paying close to $180.00 a month for cable. So our total savings is $80.00 a month. This savings pays a large portion of our property taxes and I couldn't be happier.

When we first subscribed to Direct TV Now, we didn't have the local channels like ABC, NBC, CBS and FOX. Since that time, we now have all the local channels and a few more have popped up and our bill is still the same cost. Not like cable who kept raising our rates and removing some of the channels as part of their package consolidation methods.

I do miss the cable remote which allowed me to select the channel i wanted by a number compared to scrolling through the Direct TV menus with the Apple remote. But for the money we are saving, I have learned to adapt. The picture quality of the Direct TV streaming service has been vastly improved, at first we would get server loading errors and the service would go down for a few hours at a time.

But the past few months the service has been great and I haven't noticed any difference in the picture quality compared to my cable company. I watch the golf channel, hockey college and pro football and it's as good as any cable service. My initial investment for my entire system has been as follows:

Apple TV 4th Generation 64 gig used $80.00
HDHomeRun box used 50.00
Arris Cable model used 20.00
Total Equipment investment $150.00

If you where thinking about cutting the cable cord, I would say go for it, even with the few quirks I get now and then, the cost savings has been well worth it for my brother and myself and we are not looking back.

Another nice feature is we are planning on moving to Florida in the near future and we can take our equipment with us and all we need is a cable connection, give our router MAC ID to the new cable company and sign in to our Apple TV and Direct TV now accounts and we are back in business. Just thought I would pass it along.

I love my HD box. Being a minimalist, I am happy with Amazon video, and an outdoor antenna.
With the channels app through the APTV, I get what I need for viewing.
What I don’t get, is a ridiculously high cable bill every month.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh