Can you download an app to Apple TV?

I

iMore Question

Would Ike to have Amazon Prime on my 2nd generation Apple TV.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Would Ike to have Amazon Prime on my 2nd generation Apple TV.

2nd generation AppleTVs do not have the ability to download apps. That functionality is reserved for the gen 4 AppleTV running TvOS.
Even then, there is no app for Amazon Prime. You could always download Prime Instant Video to your iOS device and use AirPlay to steam video to your current gen 2 AppleTV.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Ugh if only we had Prime.
The Fire Stick is a good cheap alternative to AirPlay if you're going to watch a bunch of shows/movies.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Ugh if only we had Prime.

We love Amazon Prime! It's worth the yearly fee, but only if you do enough shopping, book buying/lending, or movie watching that covers the cost. We do 90% of our shopping on Amazon.

If you have a friend or family member that has a sub to Amazon Prime, they can add you to their Prime account for free. It gives you access to shopping Prime items (3 day free shipping), and the free movies but not the book lending library.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
We love Amazon Prime! It's worth the yearly fee, but only if you do enough shopping, book buying/lending, or movie watching that covers the cost. We do 90% of our shopping on Amazon.

If you have a friend or family member that has a sub to Amazon Prime, they can add you to their Prime account for free. It gives you access to shopping Prime items (3 day free shipping), and the free movies but not the book lending library.

Prime offers free 2-day shipping. Perhaps it depends on geographic location; I'm not sure.
Unfortunately Amazon recently amended their free membership sharing policy. The main account holder can only add one other person to your membership now, and they have to live at the same address as the main account holder. Anybody added prior to the policy change is grandfathered in as long as you don't make any changes.
Here's the new policy: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUimUvbUpU2694505

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Prime offers free 2-day shipping. Perhaps it depends on geographic location; I'm not sure.
Unfortunately Amazon recently amended their free membership sharing policy. The main account holder can only add one other person to your membership now, and they have to live at the same address as the main account holder. Anybody added prior to the policy change is grandfathered in as long as you don't make any changes.
Here's the new policy: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUimUvbUpU2694519

Apologies.. it is 2 day shipping. Dunno why I said 3.

I've been on his account for so long, I didn't know they changed the guest policies or the policies on the lending library. I'm going to have to contact support about the lending library because it doesn't work on my account.... perhaps we need to redo it as a household account. When he added me I lived 2,100 miles away!

Thanks for the heads-up about the changes!!!

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Apologies.. it is 2 day shipping. Dunno why I said 3.

I've been on his account for so long, I didn't know they changed the guest policies or the policies on the lending library. I'm going to have to contact support about the lending library because it doesn't work on my account.... perhaps we need to redo it as a household account. When he added me I lived 2,100 miles away!

Thanks for the heads-up about the changes!!!

No reason to apologize. We're all here to help!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73