connecting Apple TV a1427 to Yamaha receiver via HDMI not good :(

tvmaster2

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
I'm trying to connect an Apple TV 3rd gen a1427 via my Yamaha receiver via an HDMI cable, and the receiver connects via HDMI to my Samsung tv.

when I do, video cuts in and out, making it unwatchable. If I hook up via the ATV3's HDMI DIRECTLY to my Samsung tv's HDMI input, bypassing the Yamaha receiver, all is wonderful.

I've tried two different HDMI cables. I didn't think passing the ATV's video thru a receiver would be a problem, as it isn't with my Roku 3, Sat receiver, TiVo or Blu-Ray.

What could be causing the ATV to cut back and forth between black and video when routed thru the Yamaha's HDMI input? It's a recent receiver as well.

Is there a handshaking error of some kind?

MarkY3130

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
My setup is slightly different because my Apple TV is the newest version, but I run mine through a 3 year old Yamaha receiver without any problem. I am also using a 3 year old Samsung Tv. I didn't do anything to set it up, it just works. I know this doesn't help, but at least it confirms that it can work.

tvmaster2

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
that's exactly the info I'm looking for. The Samsung is 5.5 years old, and the Yamaha is an RX series, the last to NOT have built-in AirPlay abilities.

tvmaster2

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
figured it out - total HDCP nonsense. My Yamaha receiver has two HDMI outputs. One feeds my main tv, and the second output, another tv. At the time, the second tv was turned on and connected, being fed the same source. Apple TV didn't like this duality (no other source has a problem with the receiver outputting to two locations). So, chalk another one up to Apple hardware I guess.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW