Apple TV (4th gen) keeps randomly waking up on its own, is anyone having this problem?

I

iMore Question

Apple TV (4th gen) keeps randomly waking up on its own

I've got the most recent version of the Apple TV, and lately I've been having some kind of issue where the Apple TV wakes up on its own. This also causes the TV (a Sony Bravia) to turn on as well.

Is anyone else having this problem?

DarlaMack

Apple TV Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
re: Apple TV (4th gen) keeps randomly waking up on its own

I've got the most recent version of the Apple TV, and lately I've been having some kind of issue where the Apple TV wakes up on its own. This also causes the TV (a Sony Bravia) to turn on as well.

Is anyone else having this problem?

Welcome to iMore!!

First may I ask which Apple TV do you have?

DarlaMack

Apple TV Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Re: Apple TV keeps randomly waking up on its own

Wow, looking on Apple Discussion Forum I'm seeing a lot of ppl with this issue. I've personally never experienced it but I did manage to duplicate the issue as per one of the posters on that thread.

One possible issue here is AirPlay. ATV will wake up when someone evokes AirPlay on an iOS device or Mac, and ATV 4 will turn on everything else.
This is an old problem; people used to complain that the light on ATV would shine for no reason. The difference now is that ATV 4 can use HDMI-CEC to turn on TVs and receivers.

I had this happen the first night after I plugged in the ATV 4. I turned it off, came back to the empty den an hour later, and everything was blazing. Turns out my wife had been using her iPad to AirPlay upstairs on the old ATV.

I tested it, and sure enough, invoking AirPlay will turn on the ATV 4, which turns on everything else; I think it will respond even if you aren?t trying to AirPlay to the ATV 4 itself, but to some other device.

The only solution, regrettably, is to disable ATV 4?s ability to turn on the other equipment. Look in Settings and turn off HDMI-CEC. My empty den has been quiet ever since.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2