Apple TV after a month - 32GB or 64GB?

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I had always bought the low storage iPhones, but with the 5 I went mid-grade "just in case". When I came close to filling the 32GB (biggest difference was I quit using my stand-alone iPod and started putting music on my phone) and the 6 came out at 64GB I was happy!

Now the Apple TV comes in 32GB or 64GB and knowing I won't be storing a bunch of music on it, I still went with the higher storage capacity "just in case". For those that bought either model, did you make the right choice? How is your storage so far? Did you buy one and exchange it within the exchange period based on your usage?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I purchased the 32 GB model because I knew from the start I would use it "primarily" in the same manner as my 3rd gen TV - streaming.

JBaby_9783

Jan 22, 2009
Visit site
My motto is go big or go home. I'd rather have too much than too little. Plus  may not update this device often so I'd rather future proof it.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I purchased a 64GB simply because it's the first AppleTV with an App Store and I'm still not sure how I'm going to use it in the long run. As of now I have plenty of storage space available. We will see how it works out in the long run as more apps and features become available.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I purchased a 64GB simply because it's the first AppleTV with an App Store and I'm still not sure how I'm going to use it in the long run. As of now I have plenty of storage space available. We will see how it works out in the long run as more apps and features become available.

This and what JBaby_9783 said.... no idea what's coming down the road, and based on complaints about the 200mb app limit with some games, I wouldn't be surprised if they raised that (too much background downloading is ruining the experience since the apps can only be 200mb to download). They offered it for a reason, though hopefully it wasn't solely to make another $50. ;)

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
32 here. It's been more than enough. I don't really download much games. I have streaming apps. I've got a console for games not to mention my iPhone and iPad Pro.

DarlaMack

Apple TV Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I purchased the 32gb because I was going to just use it for streaming. With the addition of the App store and my kids installing apps I'm thinking I should've went with the higher storage.

Chris Cook5

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
is that storage app pretty accurate or is there anyway to tell. hopefully Apple will how much storage is is used without having the app

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
So I did a test. Using the app above I looked at my 64GB ATV before and after installing Disney Infinity. Then again after playing a bit.

I got a 32GB for our bedroom not thinking we would put any games on it but I am glad we got the 64GB for the family room. There will be other instances of this.

FWIW, the storage utility in settings shows 84.8MB for this game, listed 12th in size, less than Asphalt and a few others.

Before install:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451744391.108847.jpg

After install:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451744403.643093.jpg

After playing a few levels:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451744412.860408.jpg

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I found a .99 version that gives a little more detail but the free one works

I've seen that one, too. Most want free though ;) I don't mind paying .99 for an app if it's useful!

This instance with the app shows that the usage can be more than it says, so relying on the "200MB limit" or any of the other info can be a bit misleading as additional data may be downloaded somewhere that isn't shown. We've played Infinity a bit since those photos, I should check it now! I wouldn't be surprised if it's swollen some more.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I've seen that one, too. Most want free though ;) I don't mind paying .99 for an app if it's useful!

This instance with the app shows that the usage can be more than it says, so relying on the "200MB limit" or any of the other info can be a bit misleading as additional data may be downloaded somewhere that isn't shown. We've played Infinity a bit since those photos, I should check it now! I wouldn't be surprised if it's swollen some more.

Nope. Still 11.99GB.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner