Apple TV: 2 weeks in

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
The Amazon Prime function being MIA is a bit of a bummer, but seems there's enough going on that it's not too bad. Our smart TV has it built in (with a shortcut button on the remote) if needed.

Robertk
Not sure if you were answering my question or just making a general comment on Amazon Video.
Are you saying that Air Playing an Amazon Video displays better quality using the new Apple TV or about the same as previous versions of he Apple TV?
TIA

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Robertk
Not sure if you were answering my question or just making a general comment on Amazon Video.
Are you saying that Air Playing an Amazon Video displays better quality using the new Apple TV or about the same as previous versions of he Apple TV?
TIA

Neither. Just that it's not a deal breaker for me to not have it as I can use my smart tv if needed.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Just picked one up on sale. It's much faster than atv3. Siri, you have to get used to. Will pick up a game controller later. And will get Plex or something similar going. Entering passwords and such wasn't as painful as I'd imagined. And I have to hope the kids don't break or lose the remote.

Apps take getting used to as well such as netflix which has changed its UI...not sure for the better or not. Will need time.

On search in general, is there any way to block itunes store stuff? I just want to search the free streaming apps or my itunes library.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Just picked one up on sale. It's much faster than atv3. Siri, you have to get used to. Will pick up a game controller later. And will get Plex or something similar going. Entering passwords and such wasn't as painful as I'd imagined. And I have to hope the kids don't break or lose the remote.

Apps take getting used to as well such as netflix which has changed its UI...not sure for the better or not. Will need time.

On search in general, is there any way to block itunes store stuff? I just want to search the free streaming apps or my itunes library.

Where did you get one on sale?

JBaby_9783

Jan 22, 2009
Visit site

Siri is much better once you learn all the things you can say. I downloaded the tv user guide from the iBookstore and learned quite a few things I hadn't seen other people talking about.

As far as blocking iTunes you mean get try Restrictions. I don't know if that'll work. However,  prioritizes services you already have a subscription to before iTunes content. Of course right now that only works with the major services.

Xterror

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
Target has the 32Gb on sale for $112 and the 64Gb for $149, so 25% off. Just picked up a 64Gb because my local Target was out of 32GB model. This is my first ATV. Haven't gotten home to get it going yet, but will tonight.

bigdad84

May 17, 2012
Visit site
Have had mine since November 2. Love it! Can't wait until Apple finally announces their channel servies. The Apple TV has so much untapped potential right now. If I can get AMC and my local channels through Apple I will definately ditch Dish Network!

Taco50

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
You know I tend to agree with you. I don't think the worst product ever, but I'm disappointed. Some things I have noticed so far:

Apples own remote app doesn't work

Siri is very limited it doesn't even control music

No dictation in search which sucks since the remote app doesn't work so I have to peck for everything

No podcast app

Still no solution to logging in. You literally have to log in app by app

All these little things make up to user experience. Apple usually pays attention to details like this. Honestly this seems like it was rushed to market before it was ready.

Tech198

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
I bought it, then regretted it,..... I may try it again, but for now sticking with Apple TV 3. I have no use for apps on a TV,,, I have an iPad for that. Siri on TV just doesn't work for me neither....... i don't even like talking to an iPhone.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73