So my tv is hdmi-cec enabled. I can turn the tv on along with my Apple TV when I hit any button on the Siri remote. I understand that double pressing the home button calls up the option to put the Apple TV to sleep. After I hit sleep, the Apple TV, goes to sleep! But my tv stays on (the screen itself is dark but the light indicates that the tv is on). According to the paper work, the remote can "turn off" my tv also. How do I do this? Has anyone done this? Thanks!
    11-05-2015 08:24 PM
    I've had issues turning my TV on and off with my AppleTV remote too, even though CEC is enabled. I haven't had the time to mess with it but you should be able to go to Settings > Remotes and Devices > Learn Remote to train your remote to learn the IR commands for your TV.
    11-05-2015 09:26 PM
    I have done that. However, correct if I'm wrong, isn't that for the other remotes to be able to work with the ATV? I have synced my tv remote and it actually works with the ATV. But I still can't figure out how to get the Siri remote to turn off the tv. 🐻
    11-05-2015 11:27 PM
    I have done that. However, correct if I'm wrong, isn't that for the other remotes to be able to work with the ATV? I have synced my tv remote and it actually works with the ATV. But I still can't figure out how to get the Siri remote to turn off the tv.
    You are correct. After I posted this I started messing around the the remote settings and figured that out. I was utilizing an external resource for my previous post and apparently they don't know what they're talking about (FYI it was NOT iMore ).
    11-06-2015 07:45 AM
    Does your tv support CEC? That's the key. When I put my  TV to sleep the TV shut's off now, before I had forgotten to activate CEC (I have a Harmony remote) my TV would just go blank like yours is doing now ...
    11-06-2015 09:34 AM
    I have a Sony bravia and holding the home button on my ATV will prompt "Sleep", and TV also turns off (fully off, not just blank screen). I forget what model I have - bought it 4 yrs ago it's a 46" LCD. Nothing really special.
    11-06-2015 01:06 PM
    Thanks for your replies everyone. Yeah, my tv is not a smart tv but it does have CEC capabilities and I did turn it on. I dipped into he macrumors forums and others are having the same issue. I guess teething problems...?
    11-06-2015 04:37 PM
    Thanks for your replies everyone. Yeah, my tv is not a smart tv but it does have CEC capabilities and I did turn it on. I dipped into he macrumors forums and others are having the same issue. I guess teething problems...?
    I haven't gotten my AppleTV remote to turn my TV on or off. It controls the volume though! Officially giving up for now
    11-06-2015 11:52 PM