Setting up 4th Gen AppleTV--what a hassle

philrodo

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
You would think that Apple would have figured out a way to pass the cable account info to all these apps that want you to verify and authenticate that you have an active cable subscription. Instead, the same information has to be entered into each tvOS app manually each time. What a hassle...

And what ticks me off is that ABC, CBS, NBC, etc. broadcast over the air so that anyone can get their signal with an antenna, so why do I have to prove to them that I'm a cable subscriber to activate their app on the AppleTV? What a mess we have with these media companies operating under a 1980s mentality...

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
It's quite a chore! Hopefully Apple figures out an easier way to do this. I set my AppleTV up yesterday and still haven't logged into every single app.

cwaffles

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site
How is this any different when you get a new iPad or iPhone? I dont want Apple or anyone passing my login credentials to my services back and forth to anything. I can take the 30 minutes or so it will take me and sign back into them.

JBaby_9783

Jan 22, 2009
Visit site
You would think that Apple would have figured out a way to pass the cable account info to all these apps that want you to verify and authenticate that you have an active cable subscription. Instead, the same information has to be entered into each tvOS app manually each time. What a hassle...

And what ticks me off is that ABC, CBS, NBC, etc. broadcast over the air so that anyone can get their signal with an antenna, so why do I have to prove to them that I'm a cable subscriber to activate their app on the AppleTV? What a mess we have with these media companies operating under a 1980s mentality...

I completely agree. You shouldn't have to authenticate the Big 4 networks. Also, CBS shouldn't be charging at all for streaming.

How is this any different when you get a new iPad or iPhone? I dont want Apple or anyone passing my login credentials to my services back and forth to anything. I can take the 30 minutes or so it will take me and sign back into them.

It's different because on an iOS device you can copy and paste. The real failure is  not updating the remote app. I agree, but for different reasons. I want to still be able to login with different providers. Not every provider works with every channel.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

They're passing your information back and forth anyway, you're just having to initiate the process several times. I would be okay with having a central DirecTV login that's passed to the individual networks.

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site

So you'd be content with an option that allows you to choose to store your cable credentials? That works for both to maintain your illusion that it's you alone passing your credentials each time you login as well as creates the ease of use for others that'd rather enter it once?

Steve Penny

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
Got mine yesterday. I don't have all these cable subscriptions etc, but even so, it was still a ballache to set up.

Having taken info from my phone, I was hoping I might just have to sign in to apps, but no, had to enter my password on the phone to pair with the tv, and then manually sign in to different parts of the accounts settings ..... and then when I wanted to download something.

For a product and OS that's been worked on and sat around for so long, you'd think they would have made things a bit easier. Why not connect to my iPhone and then use TouchID to authenticate me and pull my details and logins for Apple services, instead of making me manually sign in to numerous things?!

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I think unlocking it somehow with Touch ID would be good but not sure about transmittal of that signal. I think the next easiest is where the app displays a code on the TV and you use a web browser to enter it in to your account. Much quicker but would need all apps to offer that.

For authorizing the purchase of apps, some sort of Touch ID option like when you do initial setup would be good.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I just left the Apple Store with my new TV, but I've stopped by a Waffle House to have breakfast. When I get home, I'll see if setting up the device will be a hassle.

Steve Penny

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
My initial thoughts and early review here: [Redacted]Review: The all new Apple TV ? [redacted]

Last edited by a moderator:

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, I thought it was pretty easy to set up, certainly easier than previous generations of TV. What was slightly annoying was having to download all of the apps that can preloaded on my other TVs and individually validating my subscriptions with each of them. It learned my television for volume control without having to do anything!

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
My initial thoughts and early review here: [redacted]Review: The all new Apple TV ? [redacted]

Thank you for sharing. A very in-depth and well presented review. You brought up a good point with integrating new technology, such as TouchID, into the device. I don't like not requiring a password to make purchases because my kids will have a field day with Dad's iTunes account but having to type in my password using the TV is terribly inconvenient.

Last edited by a moderator:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I just finished setting up my new TV (4th Gen) and I didn't find it to be a hassle at all. Would I have preferred to be able to type in my username and passcode? Sure, but to me, not being able to was a very minor inconvenience and it did not take away from my excitement, but again, that's Just Me, D...:)

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I just finished setting up my new TV (4th Gen) and I didn't find it to be a hassle at all. Would I have preferred to be able to type in my username and passcode? Sure, but to me, not being able to was a very minor inconvenience and it did not take away from my excitement, but again, that's Just Me, D...:)

Play any games yet? Asphalt 8 is pretty cool on the big screen!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods