AppleTV4 randomly waking up

jaleelhamid

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Anyone else having this issue? Last night2x after I put the Apple TV to sleep I come back to see my tv turned and Apple TV awake and nobody was home but me and now that atv can control tv they both turn on when Apple TV wakes up

Brantley May

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
I am having the same issue. Sometimes it will happen 30 seconds later. Sometimes 5 minutes later. It's strange. I haven't found a resolution for it yet.

cwaffles

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site
Are you sure that something is not accidentally pressing the touchpad on the remote? I've found its REALLY easy to accidentally do that. Any older (2nd/3rd gen) remotes around being used?

jaleelhamid

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
They must be very sensitive then, it was sitting on my table and the Apple TV turned on with my tv too I remember reading that if you lift the Apple TV remote the atv turns on maybe the remote is just very sensitive to any kind of physical movement without holding the remote

j_dev

Nov 7, 2015
Visit site
Having the same issue. First time it happened was in the middle of the night. It turned on and started playing a show on Hulu. Has been happening at least twice a day either at night or during the day. Sometimes 5 minutes after I put it to sleep and sometimes secret hours later.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
After watching a little bit of the Florida vs Vanderbilt football game, I turned off my TV to go to the barbershop. I made sure it was off prior to leaving. When I get back home, I'll let you know if it turned itself on or not while I was away.

MrTofu

May 1, 2015
Visit site
I'm having a similar issue. Not necessarily randomly waking up but when I hit the input button on my tv remote to access other inputs (like my gaming system) the Apple TV wakes up and goes to the input the ATV is hooked into (hdmi 1). Even if I switch it to another input, it'll switch it back, on its own to input 1. This happens every time I try to use my gaming system. Takes 3 or 4 tries before it stops switching. Then while playing my Wii U, it'll switch over randomly again. Each time I have to put it to sleep then switch input but it just wakes up and switches on its own. Extremely annoying!

jkeitz

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I just got my AppleTV today and it all worked great until I kept coming back home to find the TV on when I turned it off. The remote is in a drawer, so something else is waking the AppleTV back up and that is turning the TV and receiver back on. Really a nuisance! Even if I just turn off the TV, AppleTV just turns it back on when I leave the room. I'm at the point where I'll have to disable HDMI control on the unit, and that was one of the main reasons I upgraded!

Frehley

Ambassador
Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I just got my AppleTV today and it all worked great until I kept coming back home to find the TV on when I turned it off. The remote is in a drawer, so something else is waking the AppleTV back up and that is turning the TV and receiver back on. Really a nuisance! Even if I just turn off the TV, AppleTV just turns it back on when I leave the room. I'm at the point where I'll have to disable HDMI control on the unit, and that was one of the main reasons I upgraded!

I've had the Apple TV itself turn back on, but the TV is still off.

jkeitz

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed that if I force quit every app, it will not turn itself back on. Also, at least so far, if I keep pressing Menu until I get back to the main screen, then turn it off, it stays off. It only turns back on if I just press the home button to get to the main screen, then turn it off.

reygza

Nov 14, 2015
Visit site
I've had it happen once. I came home and found my TV on and the screensaver running. I know I turned it off before I left. Weird.

jkeitz

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
So far, I just press Menu until I get back to the main screen, just like I did with the old AppleTV. Then I press Home and Sleep. It hasn't come back on since. If I just press Home to get to the main screen, then I tell it to sleep, it turns right back on.

Just press Menu until you're back at the main screen before you set it to sleep, and you should be OK.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods