Apple TV to replace Kodi / XBMC

jhnpbyr

Mar 3, 2015
Visit site
I currently use a small desktop dedicated pc to run my home theater system, it handles all my downloads and hosts the terabytes of external hdd's i use to house my backed up videos, blue ray and dvd. It sits behind my home theater set up with a usb dongle connected to an IR receiver, and the externals are connected via a USB 3.0 hub.

It is obviously a very clunky and power hungry set up, and i would obviously love to move to the new Apple TV, but does apple currently have any intent of supporting external connected drives? Is there a way to do it?

Thank for any help everyone!

John

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
With the exception of AirPlay compatible devices, I can say. Hopefully, others will respond soon.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Well you COULD get an older Apple TV, pre gen 3 and jailbreak it and install Kodi on it. ;) It won't have the speed of the latest model (4th gen) BUT you can get Kodi and all it's glory. ;) The downside older models are pretty expensive on the aftermarket as people know what they have, also supply is low and demand is high. (and you ARE buying a used older device)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods