Apple TV filters/restrictions ?

Coffee4ever

May 19, 2015
Visit site
Hello, This is my first time posting to the forum so I apologize if I'm not doing something correctly. My question is one I have searched for online for years but I can't find a answer. One Mac has iTunes in my home serving content to 3 current model Apple TV's in different rooms. One person of younger age in the household I don't want to see certain movies that are too violent or rated R or MA.

I just set up restrictions on that Apple TV then turned on content ratings in iTunes so I could see what media had which rating. I set the Apple TV to just show PG movies or TV shows, and restarted the Apple TV. But it still showed them. I really wish there was a way to have more control and when you add something to iTunes, that you could specify which Apple TV or device it can stream to.

Even if each Apple TV was like a user and you could restrict certain media to that user, enabling some things and restricting others. Its hard to have the same whole iTunes library available to every Apple TV in the house. My question is mainly if anyone has found a work around to this? So that I can have more control over which media streams to each Apple TV?

Thank you for reading.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Hello, This is my first time posting to the forum so I apologize if I'm not doing something correctly. My question is one I have searched for online for years but I can't find a answer. One Mac has iTunes in my home serving content to 3 current model Apple TV's in different rooms. One person of younger age in the household I don't want to see certain movies that are too violent or rated R or MA.

I just set up restrictions on that Apple TV then turned on content ratings in iTunes so I could see what media had which rating. I set the Apple TV to just show PG movies or TV shows, and restarted the Apple TV. But it still showed them. I really wish there was a way to have more control and when you add something to iTunes, that you could specify which Apple TV or device it can stream to.

Even if each Apple TV was like a user and you could restrict certain media to that user, enabling some things and restricting others. Its hard to have the same whole iTunes library available to every Apple TV in the house. My question is mainly if anyone has found a work around to this? So that I can have more control over which media streams to each Apple TV?

Thank you for reading.

That seems like a reasonable request. My suggestion would be to provide feedback to Apple:
Apple - Apple TV - Feedback

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Restrictions are based on the AppleID used on the device and not specific to the device.
I may be wrong about this...

My AppleTV - on the device, under Settings>> General>> Restrictions... first item is Turn On Restrictions... with several options... Is your AppleTV up to date on the latest OS for the AppleTV? Make sure that's the case...

Coffee4ever

May 19, 2015
Visit site
Tried that but didn't effect preventing one Apple TV from playing back R rated content when I set it. Seems more for restricting purchases from the Apple TV than playing them back. My account is connected to the Mac running iTunes and all the apple TV's in here. It would be easier if each person had their own Mac and sign into their own account for their Apple tv, but it would still show them on every Apple TV.

I had one movie for instance rated R and turned on restrictions on the Apple TV I wanted to prevent playback of that rating on and set up the restrictions and for that R rating, but still could play back the movie on it.

What I've really been wanting all this time is some menu option for each piece of media in iTunes, to be able to control which Apple TV it goes to. I have 3 in the home here and just wish when I add a movie or tv series, that I could only enable streaming of it to one Apple TV and ignore the other two. Too much to ask maybe but it is a dream wish I have for Apple to do.

Coffee4ever

May 19, 2015
Visit site
Thanks, I think I have in the past. With how family orientated Apple is, you would think they would give people more control options in streaming media to Apple TV's in a home. I could set up a second hard drive and iTunes account for the Apple TV I want restricted content on but that would be using more electricity and more resources. It seems like a simple thing to enable. I hope the new Apple TV will have some new control options that I've been hoping for.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Tyr this: settings > general > reset > restore -- it will refresh the OS on the device... then try setting up as desired again.

Coffee4ever

May 19, 2015
Visit site
Its ok since it doesn't restrict what I need. Most media I've added like from my DVD's there is no way to put movie ratings onto the file in iTunes either. I understand there is no current solution. There isn't enough control available between iTunes and Apple TV's to do what I need. The whole restrictions thing seems like its just for purchases on the Apple Tv, not for playback. The ratings for restrictions isn't a good base to use since as I mentioned, much of my media doesn't have ratings on it for the restrictions to make note of even if they could.

All the Apple Tv's I have here are working as they should. Not a problem with the Apple TV. I'm looking more for a solution where each Apple TV in the home is like a user and already has a name assigned to it. Then in iTunes to be able to specify which item in my media library goes to certain Apple TV's in the home. That would be ideal for me. Maybe one day we will get that sort of control.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox