Will you now buy an Apple TV?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Now that the Apple TV has been reduced from $99 to $69, will those of you who do not yet have one now go out and buy it?

hearmeoutx

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I think between the new price point of $69 and the exclusive partnership between Apple and HBO for HBO Now, we are going to see many users purchase the Apple TV. It is a shame that they did not introduce a newer, faster Apple TV but I think there will be a new one in the future.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I think between the new price point of $69 and the exclusive partnership between Apple and HBO for HBO Now, we are going to see many users purchase the Apple TV. It is a shame that they did not introduce a newer, faster Apple TV but I think there will be a new one in the future.

With the Apple TV being primarily a streaming device, how much faster or more powerful in regard to specs does it need to be?

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Now that the Apple TV has been reduced from $99 to $69, will those of you who do not yet have one now go out and buy it?

I'll probably get a second ATV. Was holding out for a new box. $69 is good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hearmeoutx

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
With the Apple TV being primarily a streaming device, how much faster or more powerful in regard to specs does it need to be?

As a daily user of Apple TV, it does need to be faster. I experience lag with my Apple TV that I know would not be there with updated hardware. You have to think, this current Apple TV has 3 year old hardware. The wifi alone could use an update now.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
What is it you're calling lag? Most of the AppleTV issues are related to people's wifi and "last mile" internet connections... not really things Apple can control.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
As a daily user of Apple TV, it does need to be faster. I experience lag with my Apple TV that I know would not be there with updated hardware. You have to think, this current Apple TV has 3 year old hardware. The wifi alone could use an update now.

I understand and was just curious. By the way, have you tried changing the DNS address to 8.8.8.8?

hearmeoutx

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
What is it you're calling lag? Most of the AppleTV issues are related to people's wifi and "last mile" internet connections... not really things Apple can control.

I am not talking lag simply when moving through the Apple TV apps. I have lag when waking the device.

Derrick4Real

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Absolutely not. Price wasn't ever the problem I had with Apple TV. Lack of codec support was the biggest issue and I'm not holding my breath that apple will change that anyways. I have a large library of movies. I need to be able to play them so i need the codec support. Also I'm not heavily into the apple ecosystem. I don't have use match, I don't have music bought from itunes. I don't buy movies or tv off it them. I have no media at all bought from them. They need an app store drastically. Because like i have google play music. I'd love an app. Truth is, i'd rather have a roku 3. I have an old wdtv that i got before they added netflix and it still plays my content formats and virtually any combo of codec and container, better than pretty much anything out including roku devices. Plus i have an xbox 360 that still does netflix fine and hbo and other things. I don't have a big need from an apple tv until they truly sort it out. But also i've found less well known devices on amazon.com that could potentially be much more robust. For me, Apple may never make the product i'm looking for. And i've already come to the conclusion that other devices are likely always going to be a better solution. But even so it needs a major upgrade.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
You can get a refurbished one on Apple's online store for $59 and save yourself $10.

It used to be $75 for the refurbished so it was a $25 savings before. Keep in mind that they're the 2012 model. The newer 2013 model has a slightly better chip and is capable of AirPlay without the iDevice needing to be on the same Wifi network. If that doesn't matter, go for it. Only a $10 difference now, though.

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I've had the Apple TV since the 2 and now the 3 since it was launched... Kinda disappointed that there wasn't an Apple TV 4 announced today... Maybe in the Fall...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox