Need help with ATV & Speaker & Projector

ClickClack

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Can I use an AirPlay enabled speaker such as the ihome model for sound and play Apple TV sound thru it wirelessly as its hooked to a projector via Hdmi?

So the ATV plugs into projector - but no sound from projector - I can use a speaker with a 3.55 m jack, however I prefer wireless .

Thx

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Can I use an AirPlay enabled speaker such as the ihome model for sound and play Apple TV sound thru it wirelessly as its hooked to a projector via Hdmi?

So the ATV plugs into projector - but no sound from projector - I can use a speaker with a 3.55 m jack, however I prefer wireless .

Thx

I believe that whether or not you can get wireless audio would be up to your projector. The video and sound come out of the AppleTV via HDMI, so audio out of the AppleTV to an AirPlay speaker would no longer be available.

ClickClack

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Ah... Got it.., so I'd have to hook speakers to projector output then - wireless AirPlay would be useless bc hdmi overrides it?

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Ah... Got it.., so I'd have to hook speakers to projector output then - wireless AirPlay would be useless bc hdmi overrides it?

That is my understanding.

I just looked through the settings on my AppleTV, and do not see a way to split the video and audio. There IS an audio output (mini phono plug) on the AppleTV that appears from the settings to support both analog and digital audio out, so if it’s connected via cable to a speaker system, it may (should) override the audio over HDMI. This would confirm what you stated above re: wired connection to speakers.

But I don’t see any provisions for wirelessly sending audio to an AirPlay device/destination.