Not unexpectedly, the hard drive in my Windows 7 machine is now nearly full (83GB out of 913GB total space, meter bar is in the red) after I imported my movie DVD collection. Out of a total iTunes library of 635ish GB, 570ish of that are the movies. Most are ripped from my DVDs, some are downloaded from iTunes, and more in the future will be downloaded or authorized from iTunes either as straight-up digital downloads or unlocked digital copies from BD/Digital multipacks. Also, once I get this sorted, I'm going to import my collection of TV series on DVD as well.

The primary purpose of putting the movies on my hard drive is to stream them to an Apple TV. I have no intention of watching them on the PC itself beyond spot-checking for quality.

Ideally, what I would like to do is split off the movie database, which is going to get larger faster than my music database, to another hard drive.

Is there a way to split the movie database to another drive, leaving the rest of my iTunes library on the current drive, and have all of it accessible at the same time? Or is my only real option to buy a honkin' huge drive and transfer it all over?

My reasoning is this: If I have to move the entire library/database, I should add a 2TB or larger drive to ensure I have room for the future. If I can split the library, I can make do with adding a 1TB drive and spend only about half as much. Why half when there is only about a $30 difference between 1TB and 2TB? Because I need a larger drive for my system backups as well. If I can split the library, I can recycle my current 1TB system backup drive to hold the movies but if not, then I need to get TWO 2TB or larger drives.
    07-09-2014 06:50 PM
    Why not just get one 4TB drive?
    07-09-2014 07:01 PM
    Not unexpectedly, the hard drive in my Windows 7 machine is now nearly full (83GB out of 913GB total space, meter bar is in the red) after I imported my movie DVD collection. Out of a total iTunes library of 635ish GB, 570ish of that are the movies. Most are ripped from my DVDs, some are downloaded from iTunes, and more in the future will be downloaded or authorized from iTunes either as straight-up digital downloads or unlocked digital copies from BD/Digital multipacks. Also, once I get this sorted, I'm going to import my collection of TV series on DVD as well.

The primary purpose of putting the movies on my hard drive is to stream them to an Apple TV. I have no intention of watching them on the PC itself beyond spot-checking for quality.

Ideally, what I would like to do is split off the movie database, which is going to get larger faster than my music database, to another hard drive.

Is there a way to split the movie database to another drive, leaving the rest of my iTunes library on the current drive, and have all of it accessible at the same time? Or is my only real option to buy a honkin' huge drive and transfer it all over?

My reasoning is this: If I have to move the entire library/database, I should add a 2TB or larger drive to ensure I have room for the future. If I can split the library, I can make do with adding a 1TB drive and spend only about half as much. Why half when there is only about a $30 difference between 1TB and 2TB? Because I need a larger drive for my system backups as well. If I can split the library, I can recycle my current 1TB system backup drive to hold the movies but if not, then I need to get TWO 2TB or larger drives.
    Yes, you can easily do it IF you are willing to give up having iTunes totally manage your media. Theres an option in the Preferences > Advanced dialog to turn off those features (letting iTunes keep your media organized and letting iTunes copy media to the media library). Uncheck both of those options and iTunes will still list/show/serve media from the location where it lives - you can put stuff where ever you want as long as its accessible to your computer. I have all of my movies on a NAS and my music resides on my laptop's hard drive.

Attachment 60397
    gordol likes this.
    07-09-2014 07:18 PM
    Why not just get one 4TB drive?
    Because the backup drive should always be separate from anything else. If your backup is on the same drive as your data, one drive crash renders it a waste of time and effort.
    07-09-2014 07:31 PM
    Yes, you can easily do it IF you are willing to give up having iTunes totally manage your media. Theres an option in the Preferences > Advanced dialog to turn off those features (letting iTunes keep your media organized and letting iTunes copy media to the media library). Uncheck both of those options and iTunes will still list/show/serve media from the location where it lives
    Thanks!

Both? I just checked the Help for that settings page, and it even gives this purpose as the example for turning off the Copy option:

If you want items to appear in iTunes but also remain in their original location, deselect this checkbox. For example, you can keep music imported from CDs on your computers hard disk, and save your video files on an external hard disk.

It seems though that I can leave the "keep...organized" checked. I'll have to experiment. It also says:

Pressing the Option key while dragging temporarily reverses the current checkbox setting.

I presume on Windows that would be the CTRL key.

07-09-2014 07:42 PM

Thanks!

Both? I just checked the Help for that settings page, and it even gives this purpose as the example for turning off the Copy option:

If you want items to appear in iTunes but also remain in their original location, deselect this checkbox. For example, you can keep music imported from CDs on your computer’s hard disk, and save your video files on an external hard disk.

It seems though that I can leave the "keep...organized" checked. I'll have to experiment. It also says:

Pressing the Option key while dragging temporarily reverses the current checkbox setting.

I presume on Windows that would be the CTRL key.

I have both unchecked on my MacBook Pro (the screen shot was from another computer), and it works as I expect it. I believe that you would use the ALT key modifier (OSX's COMMAND = CNTL; OSX's OPTION = ALT).
    07-09-2014 07:57 PM
    Something I should have thought of in my original question: How can I move the media files from one drive to another and not loose all the metadata that iTunes keeps separate? In the case of my video files, that would be purchase licenses, genres, play counts, positions, cover images, and descriptions.

If I just simply grab the files in Windows Explorer and move them, I'll loose all that.
    07-12-2014 02:56 PM
    Something I should have thought of in my original question: How can I move the media files from one drive to another and not loose all the metadata that iTunes keeps separate? In the case of my video files, that would be purchase licenses, genres, play counts, positions, cover images, and descriptions.

If I just simply grab the files in Windows Explorer and move them, I'll loose all that.
    I would move the iTunes library data files first then the media. Then when you open iTunes hold down the shift key(windows) and select the iTunes library file you just moved. You will have to re-add all the files into iTunes again but all other info should still be there. The only downside is any new items you get from the iTunes Store will download to the old location. You might be better off to start from scratch and create a new iTunes library. I think iTunes has an import library option but I'm not 100% sure of that or how it works.

Sent from my iPhone 5S or 5th gen iPod Touch using Tapatalk
    07-14-2014 09:54 AM
    I (think I) know how to move the library in its entirety, Apple has good documentation on that. But that will almost fill the new hard drive once I add in my DVDs of TV shows.

What I want to do is SPLIT the library, if possible. I know that with the instructions already provided anything that I add from that point on will live wherever I put it, but my system drive is critically low on disk space so I want to move the video files while leaving the audio files where they are. And at almost 200 movies (so far) I want to avoid having to re-enter all the metadata that iTunes keeps in its database separate from the media itself.

Last resort, I could move everything, and in another month or so get another 2TB drive and move it again. (The 2TB drive I just got replaced the 1TB drive I was using for backups, that 1TB drive was then wiped and is now to be used for iTunes.)

Double ROT13 encrypted for your protection
    07-14-2014 10:11 AM
    I (think I) know how to move the library in its entirety, Apple has good documentation on that. But that will almost fill the new hard drive once I add in my DVDs of TV shows.

What I want to do is SPLIT the library, if possible. I know that with the instructions already provided anything that I add from that point on will live wherever I put it, but my system drive is critically low on disk space so I want to move the video files while leaving the audio files where they are. And at almost 200 movies (so far) I want to avoid having to re-enter all the metadata that iTunes keeps in its database separate from the media itself.

Last resort, I could move everything, and in another month or so get another 2TB drive and move it again. (The 2TB drive I just got replaced the 1TB drive I was using for backups, that 1TB drive was then wiped and is now to be used for iTunes.)

Forgot about the spilt part, I would move the movies and in iTunes relocate the file in iTunes for each file.
    Also I thought iTunes applies the metadata to the files when you edit them?

Sent from my iPhone 5S or 5th gen iPod Touch using Tapatalk
    07-14-2014 10:16 AM
    Forgot about the spilt part, I would move the movies and in iTunes relocate the file in iTunes for each file.
    Last count, that's 181 items to re-edit. I was hoping for a way to do it en mass, like a batch job.

I'll try one or two and see how easy or annoying it is to do that manually.

07-14-2014 10:53 AM
    Last count, that's 181 items to re-edit. I was hoping for a way to do it en mass, like a batch job.

I'll try one or two and see how easy or annoying it is to do that manually.

I think you can move the media and then in iTunes do the Ctrl-I to open the info window and you should get another popup saying it can't find it, do you want to tell iTunes where it is now? Then you just find it in the new location. Still annoying but no need to re-enter metadata.
    07-14-2014 10:57 AM
    I think you can move the media and then in iTunes do the Ctrl-I to open the info window and you should get another popup saying it can't find it, do you want to tell iTunes where it is now? Then you just find it in the new location. Still annoying but no need to re-enter metadata.
    Yeah, that's one item at a time for re-locating the item.

Hmm... the library.xml has the path to the file... Maybe I can do a global search/replace for the path to the current movie file location and replace with the new path and then re-import the xml... I'll try that tonight.

07-14-2014 11:30 AM

Hmm... the library.xml has the path to the file... Maybe I can do a global search/replace for the path to the current movie file location and replace with the new path and then re-import the xml... I'll try that tonight.

Better the re-locating than redoing the metadata
    07-14-2014 11:31 AM

I would do a backup first

posted via windows
    07-14-2014 11:48 AM
    I couldn't find the command to import the library.xml file so I aborted. I gave up, and just set iTunes to move the entire library to the 1TB drive, and I'll just deal with getting a larger one for the library later.
    07-14-2014 08:01 PM