Should I buy an Apple TV?

astraith

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
I've been considering to buy an Apple TV for a while. Now that I have a iMac again, it makes sense for me to start investing in the Apple ecosystem. My main concern is there are rumors of Apple TV upgrade, and I am afraid that I'll buy the $99 Apple TV, and there will be a bigger and better option down the road. What do you guys think?

nason54

May 3, 2014
Visit site
I want to buy one too but as of right now nothing is confirmed. With that in mind, I'd wait until the end of the year or until September or October. Hopefully they will release it. Have you seen the concept for Apple TV? It's gorgeous.

Sent from my awesome iPhone 5, soon to be 6 later this year.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
What if you wait, get the Apple TV if the new one doesn't come out, and the new one comes out 2 months after you buy? If you want it now, get it. Otherwise wait until a new one comes out. :)

Richard Nieves

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
I would wait too unless you have the money to upgrade later. I wanted one but am waiting. I'm hoping apple does something about the crappy ecosystem that is broadcast tv. If any one has the power to fix tv, it's apple. I would rather pay for channels individually or in small bundles and have all i can view (like Netflix) then pay 100 bucks on top of internet to watch at TOPs 20 channels. It will happen one day. Want ABC, nbc and all the local channel content (stuff you can watch on antenna) then pay 10 bucks for all you can eat of that. Want amc? 3 ect I don't know what fair prices would be but even if every few episodes gets an ad that would be fine or maybe even have adds on the main screen playing while you search for shows or at the worst, have ads like hulu then have a premier version of each channel without ads

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

astraith

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
I want to buy one too but as of right now nothing is confirmed. With that in mind, I'd wait until the end of the year or until September or October. Hopefully they will release it. Have you seen the concept for Apple TV? It's gorgeous.

Sent from my awesome iPhone 5, soon to be 6 later this year.

No I haven't. How can I see that?

astraith

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
I would wait too unless you have the money to upgrade later. I wanted one but am waiting. I'm hoping apple does something about the crappy ecosystem that is broadcast tv. If any one has the power to fix tv, it's apple. I would rather pay for channels individually or in small bundles and have all i can view (like Netflix) then pay 100 bucks on top of internet to watch at TOPs 20 channels. It will happen one day. Want ABC, nbc and all the local channel content (stuff you can watch on antenna) then pay 10 bucks for all you can eat of that. Want amc? 3 ect I don't know what fair prices would be but even if every few episodes gets an ad that would be fine or maybe even have adds on the main screen playing while you search for shows or at the worst, have ads like hulu then have a premier version of each channel without ads

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

The best way to break the what TV works now is to allow the customer choose the top 5, top 10, top 15 or top 20 channels that you like. Then the customer has to choose what types of shows you like -- at least 10 -- and then the provider's system would, of course, give you your favorte channels you picked (charging the more you pick) and then gives you 50, 100, or 150 channels that have similar programming that you picked. This way the no matter what is on, chances are you have something you like.

And this way companies still get to bundle their channels -- and possible get higher viewership, because every subscriber would want to watch these types of shows you are producing.

It's a win-win.

fayskelley

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I don't know when the upgrade is coming but we got ours couple-three years ago and use it everyday. Hulu, Netflix, etc. Got rid of expensive thief DirectTV who kept raising the prices mid-contract. We love it and will never purchase satellite or cable TV again since we have DSL at 40 mps and are happy !

xStagGx

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I've been considering to buy an Apple TV for a while. Now that I have a iMac again, it makes sense for me to start investing in the Apple ecosystem. My main concern is there are rumors of Apple TV upgrade, and I am afraid that I'll buy the $99 Apple TV, and there will be a bigger and better option down the road. What do you guys think?

If there will be ATV announced at the keynote on sept the 9th, it will be available not sooner than mid-2015 - so yes, you can safely buy an ATV now.
I just received today mine, and I not regret. Actually, the third generation has everything you need, and you'll enjoy every part of it.

Also don't forget that you can always sell your ATV near the premiere of the new generation.

I don't know where are u from, but try looking for ex-display ATV. I bought mine for (after conversion) about $70. - brand new, no scratches at all with seller warranty. (Although seller has mentioned that it may have few scratches). Lower price just becouse device was in a display case in the store ;)

robbrick

Dec 12, 2003
www.dimensiondvd.com
If there will be ATV announced at the keynote on sept the 9th, it will be available not sooner than mid-2015 - so yes, you can safely buy an ATV now.
I just received today mine, and I not regret. Actually, the third generation has everything you need, and you'll enjoy every part of it.

Also don't forget that you can always sell your ATV near the premiere of the new generation.

I don't know where are u from, but try looking for ex-display ATV. I bought mine for (after conversion) about $70. - brand new, no scratches at all with seller warranty. (Although seller has mentioned that it may have few scratches). Lower price just becouse device was in a display case in the store ;)
I'm considering letting go of directv as well. How do you watch nfl or things that may not yet be available on Apple TV that are available on directv?

boomhower1820

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Do you think they will release an App Store, if so can the 3rd gen handle it

I doubt it. If I'm not mistaken it uses the CPU from the iPad 2 only in a single core rather than dual core. It's just not very powerful at all. If there is an app store I'd say it's going to be only for the new one. You can get a refurb for $75, just buy it. When the new comes out put in in the bedroom and get the new one. It's not a lot of money.

rexalbel

May 9, 2014
Visit site
I wanted one too and just got one a month ago. Pretty good but nothing special it honestly doesn't feel like an apple product. I've been using streaming services on consoles for years and I have to say they are better.

The main problems are probably that Apple tries to create a unified experience for watching so all the streaming apps have similar ui's but they are slow and cumbersome. There are good things too and I think it's got potential but it's not super snappy like an iDevice and its got its issues. Also AirPlay rarely works right for me. I can turn on AirPlay and if an app supports it it will work, but mirroring doesn't work. It did briefly for each device, then stopped. Not what I expect from Apple. Then again, lately I have been less impressed with Apple between I drive/photos/AirPlay and mail I'm finding myself as frustrated as I get with windows and android 😐

A in all its not a bad device I wouldn't get rid of mine. I wouldn't pay 100 either. I paid 80 but honestly I feel like it's worth 50, at least in its current state.

Coachbulldog

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm considering letting go of directv as well. How do you watch nfl or things that may not yet be available on Apple TV that are available on directv?

I do not know of a way to stream NFL games on an AppleTV unless the game is broadcast on ESPN and you subscribe to a cable/satellite service that allows you full access to WatchESPN. For reasons I don't understand, Directv is the only major television provider who's subscribers cannot access all of ESPN's channels on WatchESPN. If you're an NFL fan, and you want more football than the Sunday local broadcasts, then you will be disappointed if you cut the cord for an AppleTV or a similar device. But there are other sports available on the AppleTV. I subscribe to MLB.tv and NHL GameCenter and have access to most games in both sports. On occasion the blackout rules can be frustrating, but most of the time my ATV works for me. A subscription to NBA games is also available, but I don't purchase and can't provide an opinion on it.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I'm on DISH at home and have a jailbroken iPad which allows me to AirPlay the NFL Network app which streams the Red Zone channel to my Apple TV.

My friend lets me use his Sunday Ticket credentials and with a jailbreak hack I'm able to view any game that is airing on the app by connecting with the Apple HDMI adapter which the app prohibits if you're not jailbroken.

I can even AirPlay the Sunday Night games from the NBC Sports Extra app with an AirPlay hack.

And hell, all you need for the WATCH Espn app on the ATV is a friend's cable provider's credentials.

FinancialP

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
We just got an Apple and love it! Airplaying games is awesome, and airplaying movies from my phone is great. My lady is a Netflix but, she was using her ipad connected directly to the for watching Netflix, that was ok but not ideal.

For all the cord cutters just get a digital antenna for your and you'll get all of your local channels in uncompressed hd.

Pro tip for people who still have cable or satellite and you're married or live with someone; just cancel your services and order new services every year with your wife or roommate name. Swap it up each year and keep enjoying those new customer discounts.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Pro tip for people who still have cable or satellite and you're married or live with someone; just cancel your services and order new services every year with your wife or roommate name. Swap it up each year and keep enjoying those new customer discounts.

This has always been my advice to people. It costs you nothing to cancel service once the bill goes up. Just open a new account at a discounted price.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Whether to buy one or not is always a question. Will there be a newer better model, yes, but it could be 6 weeks or 6-12 months away. For $99 +$39 for AppleCare its not a bad investment IF you want to watch your own iTunes library, access rentals and movies from iTunes Store, music, movies and the selected channels we can get. They aren't a bad offering, but there are some obvious one's missing. Now that CBS thinks people are going to pay for their actual shows on the web (no thanks I have OnDemand) its missing from Apple TV, I wish the BBC America was there as well.

For me I finally got mine working properly despite Apples lackluster effort, and I will get a second one but I may wait a bit and see if a new does come around in the next few months and if not I will just get another of the current model.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobaeit