Just got an Apple TV 3 this past weekend..

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
So I just got an Apple TV this past weekend and after using it the past few days I love it so far. Since I'm in Canada channel selection is limited but it's good enough for me.
I've been using it to watch a few tv shows I've gotten when iTunes had them for free over the years and for airplaying some Olympics games from the CBC app that I've missed.
Overall I like it but hopefully a jailbreak gets released for it so it's more useful to me.
I still can't believe how small it is.

Sent from my 5th gen iPod touch or iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
So I just got an Apple TV this past weekend and after using it the past few days I love it so far. Since I'm in Canada channel selection is limited but it's good enough for me.
I've been using it to watch a few tv shows I've gotten when iTunes had them for free over the years and for airplaying some Olympics games from the CBC app that I've missed.
Overall I like it but hopefully a jailbreak gets released for it so it's more useful to me.
I still can't believe how small it is.

Give Netflix a try or Hulu Plus. They are great in Apple TV.

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Netflix, Hulu+, and the WatchESPN app are the only channels I frequently use on my Apple TV. If you've digitized your movie collection into mp4 you'll also get a good deal of use out of your Apple TV

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Hulu is not available in Canada (I wish it was though). I'm thinking of getting Netflix but from what I heard the selection is not great in Canada. Since my movies are in an avi file format I plan to use the vlc app so I can AirPlay those movies to my Apple TV. I've also been using the crackle app on my iPod touch and iPhone for the past 2-3 years and so far it's been good enough.
I also recently found out I can AirPlay mirror modern combat 4 to my tv so I've been having fun with that :D

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Hulu is not available in Canada (I wish it was though). I'm thinking of getting Netflix but from what I heard the selection is not great in Canada. Since my movies are in an avi file format I plan to use the vlc app so I can AirPlay those movies to my Apple TV. I've also been using the crackle app on my iPod touch and iPhone for the past 2-3 years and so far it's been good enough.
I also recently found out I can AirPlay mirror modern combat 4 to my tv so I've been having fun with that :D

Yeah the Airplay feature is what I loved about the Apple TV. Gaming, Movies, you name it.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yep, Netflix, Hulu Plus, WatchESPN, YouTube, Movie rentals via iTunes, iTunes Radio, and, of course, AirPlay. Like the others. I enjoy my Apple TV.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Congrats and how do you like it? Is it everything all my friends at home here and on iMore says it is and makes fun of me for not getting one. I try and tell them when I have a flat panel LG Smart TV with everything on it, Why do I go with an Apple TV, I tell them to convince me and so far they have not.:) Enjoy yours.

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Congrats and how do you like it? Is it everything all my friends at home here and on iMore says it is and makes fun of me for not getting one. I try and tell them when I have a flat panel LG Smart TV with everything on it, Why do I go with an Apple TV, I tell them to convince me and so far they have not.:) Enjoy yours.

I'm loving mine so far. AirPlay is awesome since I've been using it to watch the team Canada men's hockey games in HD from the CBC Olympic app. Just have to get a good sound system to go with my Apple TV so I can enjoy the iTunes festival in September (hopefully there are some good artists this year) and iTunes Radio when it's available to Canadian users. Also I've been AirPlay mirroring some of the games/apps I have on my iPhone but my router (linksys wrt-160n) has been struggling with that a bit (either delay or dropped/choppy frame rate) but it's not bad. Crackle is also nice since it's free with ads (I lucked out with one movie where there were no ads). Hopefully WWDC is streamed this year so I can watch it live on the big screen.
I still hope a jailbreak is released for it so I can make it more useful (xbmc)

I still think the GPU in the A5 is not being used to its full potential yet on the Apple TV 3 so there is defiantly room for improvement.

Also I'm using my Apple TV with my 32" insignia 720p tv (supports upto 1080p) with Apple TV set at 720p & altec Lansing computer speakers connected to the headphone jack on my tv for those wondering.

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I tried everything I could to stream the hockey games using the CBC app, but it was just terrible. That has to be the worst app I've ever used. The commercials would stream perfectly, every time, in full HD, but when it tried to play the actual sports, it would either not load at all, or take several minutes to load, then play the french audio stream (which the app wouldn't let you change).

Luckily airplay mirroring saved the day ;)

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I tried everything I could to stream the hockey games using the CBC app, but it was just terrible. That has to be the worst app I've ever used. The commercials would stream perfectly, every time, in full HD, but when it tried to play the actual sports, it would either not load at all, or take several minutes to load, then play the french audio stream (which the app wouldn't let you change).

Luckily airplay mirroring saved the day ;)

I didn't have any problems airplaying the games expect the French audio part, but for me airplay mirroring is not smooth at all.

Sent from my iPhone 5S or iPod touch 5th gen using Tapatalk

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I didn't have any problems airplaying the games expect the French audio part, but for me airplay mirroring is not smooth at all.

Sent from my iPhone 5S or iPod touch 5th gen using Tapatalk

Strange, I had tons of trouble streaming, but mirroring was silky smooth.

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Strange, I had tons of trouble streaming, but mirroring was silky smooth.

I figured out the French audio part. I just had to hold down the select button on the Apple TV remote while air playing the game then it gave a row of setting for closed caption, audio and something else.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393204413.284759.jpg
I just went to audio and selected English.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I figured out the French audio part. I just had to hold down the select button on the Apple TV remote while air playing the game then it gave a row of setting for closed caption, audio and something else.
View attachment 50113
I just went to audio and selected English.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha I just found this today as well while watching the game, was just coming to post it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR