Hi there,

My Apple TV 3rd Gen has been brilliant and I use it on a regular basis. At the weekend it froze so we had to pull the power on it and when turning it back on all we got was the Apple symbol on the TV and a flashing white light.

I attached it to my iMac and iTunes and it shows up the option to restore, the restore fails with an 'unknown error 32-37' I called Apple and they said that this is a hardware error and I should pay the Apple Service fee to have it repaired or replaced.

I am a little reluctant to do this, but if it is a hardware error I have no choice.

I was wondering if atone had any other suggestions to fix this? Maybe a restore external to iTunes somehow to a jailbreak? Is that even possible with a 3rd gen?

Considering a Roku 1 as a replacement if not
    02-05-2014 10:43 AM
    Ive yet to experience anything like that with my Apple TV, and I'm sorry that you are. I don't know the exact steps you took to try and correct the problem, but doublecheck the instructions found via the following link.

Apple TV (2nd and 3rd generation): Restoring your Apple TV
    02-05-2014 10:52 AM
    If it's a hardware thing - no other suggestion is gonna help... not even jailbreak, as the A-TV3 is not jailbreakable... if it's still under warranty, Apple will replace it... otherwise, replace with a like device, or go another direction.
    02-05-2014 10:52 AM
    Thanks guys, yes I know that if it is a hardware issue no software will help and I'll need to replace.

I have used the proper restore method too.

I was just wondering if there was any way outside of iTunes to try a restore another way what could help in the slim chance this wasn't a hardware issue.
    02-05-2014 11:18 AM
    Thanks guys, yes I know that if it is a hardware issue no software will help and I'll need to replace.

I have used the proper restore method too.

I was just wondering if there was any way outside of iTunes to try a restore another way what could help in the slim chance this wasn't a hardware issue.
    Unfortunately no.
    02-05-2014 01:35 PM