I've been wanting one for a while and I see the stuff you can do once you jailbreak it and I really want it. Then I read the 3 hasn't been jailbroken yet. then I see it's a possibility a new ATV is announced with the new iPhone which I think might happen over the summer. Should I get the ATV 3, or wait for ATV4? Will a jailbreak be released for the 3? Are they even working on it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    01-24-2014 05:20 PM
    I doubt there will be a Jailbreak for the Atv3... if you want one - go for it...
    01-24-2014 05:22 PM
    We try not to give purchase advice I have an Apple TV and enjoy it a lot it's worth the money

Sent from my iPhone 5s Gold 64GB
    01-24-2014 05:25 PM
    if you are looking for one that can be jailbroken then you can pick one up from ebay- its gonna be expensive though. The 3 has been out for I think 2 years now and still can't be jailbroken- my guess is this is the way apple likes it and will duplicate that with the 4 whenever that comes out.
    01-24-2014 05:26 PM
    The question of should you buy ATV 3 now depends on if you really want to use it's features right away. It a great piece in my opinion. If and when they drop a ATV 4 I'll put the 3 on a second TV. I enjoy it that much that a second one is a must have for me.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using iMore Forums mobile app
    01-24-2014 05:30 PM
    What features do the 3 have that the 2 doesn't?

01-24-2014 09:17 PM
    What features do the 3 have that the 2 doesn't?
    1080p video is the biggest...
    01-24-2014 09:30 PM
    1080p video is the biggest...
    Can I play videos and movies off of my MacBook onto the Apple TV. I'm sure that might be possible through airplay mirroring but is that the only way?

01-24-2014 09:32 PM
    Media in your iTunes library is played directly on the AppleTV... iTunes just needs to be running on your computer...you don't use iTunes as the player.

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums mobile app
    01-24-2014 09:36 PM
    Media in your iTunes library is played directly on the AppleTV... iTunes just needs to be running on your computer...you don't use iTunes as the player.

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums mobile app
    I meant more like stuff not purchased through iTunes.

01-24-2014 09:43 PM
    I meant more like stuff not purchased through iTunes.
    If you can import it into your iTunes library... It'll play... I have all 11 seasons of MASH ripped from DVD in my iTunes library that I can watch via AppleTV...
    01-24-2014 10:30 PM
    If you can import it into your iTunes library... It'll play... I have all 11 seasons of MASH ripped from DVD in my iTunes library that I can watch via AppleTV...
    Ahh so as long as it's the right format for iTunes it'll play? But then it would still need my laptop be on so instead of re encoding would it be better just mirroring it? With the mirror does the audio come out of the tv or the device it's mirroring from

01-24-2014 10:39 PM
    It's not mirroring. It's streaming what's in your iTunes library. You computer has to be on so ATV can access your library.
    The movie is not playing on your computer. This is called Home Sharing which has to be enabled in iTunes.
    All your Apple devices can do this.
    You can stream a movies in your iTunes on your computer to your iPhone or iPad.
    Now if you have purchased iTunes movie or TV shows that are not download to your computer you can play them in the cloud.

01-24-2014 11:43 PM
    It's not mirroring. It's streaming what's in your iTunes library. You computer has to be on so ATV can access your library.
    The movie is not playing on your computer. This is called Home Sharing which has to be enabled in iTunes.
    All your Apple devices can do this.
    You can stream a movies in your iTunes on your computer to your iPhone or iPad.
    Now if you have purchased iTunes movie or TV shows that are not download to your computer you can play them in the cloud.

I understand now. So regardless my home movies will need for my laptop to be on regardless if I mirror or stream it. Only difference is if it is actually playing on my laptop itself or just on the Apple TV

01-24-2014 11:58 PM
    I understand now. So regardless my home movies will need for my laptop to be on regardless if I mirror or stream it. Only difference is if it is actually playing on my laptop itself or just on the Apple TV

Yea that's it. Think if it as your personal Netflix in a sense where you laptop is the server but it's in your home. You can also do Netflix with the Netflix app on the Apple TV. You can also do Airplay streaming from a iPhone or iPad of Amazon Instant Video to a Apple TV.

You can also play any music that's in your iTunes library on Apple TV. Most TV's these days have great audio.My TV is pretty much my home stereo.
    01-25-2014 01:09 AM
    Yea that's it. Think if it as your personal Netflix in a sense where you laptop is the server but it's in your home. You can also do Netflix with the Netflix app on the Apple TV. You can also do Airplay streaming from a iPhone or iPad of Amazon Instant Video to a Apple TV.

You can also play any music that's in your iTunes library on Apple TV. Most TV's these days have great audio.My TV is pretty much my home stereo.
    Interesting. I more so wanted one to jailbreak so I might hold off since I use my ps4 a lot. Only thing I can't do is stream anything from my PC. But I might get this for the living room and my parents so they can put that wii away lol

01-25-2014 01:17 AM
    Me personally I stay away from jailbreaking anything. There's always something that doesn't work with something else and I found I was spending too much time finding out what that something was. That just my personal deal.
    01-25-2014 01:24 AM
    My favorite feature of the Apple TV is using my iPhone as the remote ... There is lot's of content on the Apple TV, I enjoy hulu & netflix the most. I learned the hard way that it's always best to check netflix first before renting a movie as sometimes netflix will have the same movie for free. In the end the Apple TV is a very capable device and in my opinion a must have for any Apple Enthusiast.
    RobertAdams313 likes this.
    01-25-2014 11:04 AM