I'm giving my son Apple TV for Christmas and I want him to have everything I have on my hard drive. Here's a map of what I'm thinking:

1. I have all my music and I've burned most of my movies into my itunes. Each individual movie has a name on the hard drive. Like "wizard.mp4"

2. In my itunes library, I have listed it as "Wizard Of Oz. Classic ..

3. My itunes is pointed to a 1 T Ext drive where all of this lives.

4. I watch these on my Apple TV

5. I'm giving my son an Apple TV for Christmas.

6. I want to copy my Ext drive to a separate NEW Ext drive, that he will get.

So...if I just copy my drive, I think he will get only the hard drive name "wizard.mp4"

I want him to access, MY itunes listings so he'll see "Wizard Of Oz."

The plan is for him to have, everything I have.

How can I do that? Do I copy the hard drive AND the itunes files?

Does this make sense? I hope so...it's a great idea.

I know this is a lot. Thanks for reading and thanks for the help.
    12-19-2013 10:51 PM
    I'm giving my son Apple TV for Christmas and I want him to have everything I have on my hard drive. Here's a map of what I'm thinking:

1. I have all my music and I've burned most of my movies into my itunes. Each individual movie has a name on the hard drive. Like "wizard.mp4"

2. In my itunes library, I have listed it as "Wizard Of Oz. Classic ..

3. My itunes is pointed to a 1 T Ext drive where all of this lives.

4. I watch these on my Apple TV

5. I'm giving my son an Apple TV for Christmas.

6. I want to copy my Ext drive to a separate NEW Ext drive, that he will get.

So...if I just copy my drive, I think he will get only the hard drive name "wizard.mp4"

I want him to access, MY itunes listings so he'll see "Wizard Of Oz."

The plan is for him to have, everything I have.

How can I do that? Do I copy the hard drive AND the itunes files?

Does this make sense? I hope so...it's a great idea.

I know this is a lot. Thanks for reading and thanks for the help.
    I would copy just the mp4 files of the movies to the new external then assuming he has his own computer with iTunes import those files into his iTunes
    12-19-2013 11:20 PM
    I would copy just the mp4 files of the movies to the new external then assuming he has his own computer with iTunes import those files into his iTunes
    That;s the plan. He is suppose to bring he his computer in a week or two..and we plan to copy my itune data into his itunes data. Hopefully that will included the pointers to the date on the new hard drive.

Thanks
    12-19-2013 11:50 PM
    That;s the plan. He is suppose to bring he his computer in a week or two..and we plan to copy my itune data into his itunes data. Hopefully that will included the pointers to the date on the new hard drive.

Thanks
    I wouldn't over write his iTunes library I would just add the content and import into his library ..
    12-20-2013 12:30 AM
    It's not as simple as that if the content was purchased from iTunes... The content would need to be in a library using the same AppleId it was purchased under... And using an AppleID on two different computers with two separate libraries will be in the end a horrible, horrible mess.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    12-20-2013 08:13 AM
    Mercifully, I burned 95% the content in myself.

So, can I start copying my ext drive to the new ext drive? I had planned to do that and wait for him to bring his laptop home, and move his current music on to the new ext drive.

Is this still workable?

Thanks so much...
    12-20-2013 11:44 AM
    OK... so what you do is copy the content you burned yourself to another external drive... and your son would hook that to his computer, and use iTunes to add it all to his iTunes library.
    12-20-2013 12:04 PM
    OK... so what you do is copy the content you burned yourself to another external drive... and your son would hook that to his computer, and use iTunes to add it all to his iTunes library.
    That is the best way unless it's iTunes content like you said .. Two apple IDs on one computer would be a pain
    12-20-2013 12:16 PM
    It's not as simple as that if the content was purchased from iTunes... The content would need to be in a library using the same AppleId it was purchased under... And using an AppleID on two different computers with two separate libraries will be in the end a horrible, horrible mess.
    If you bought the content, there are ways to rip it out without having to share iTunes libraries... it violates the DMCA (but technically, so does ripping any commercial [read "copy protected"] movie)... morally, if you bought it, you should be able to copy it... and with the right components/tools/techniques, even iTunes media can be ripped successfully. So much for "fair use". #beenthere #donethat
    12-20-2013 05:39 PM
    Yes Keith, exactly. Thanks
    12-20-2013 07:12 PM
    Is there a way to get all the title...season ..and tag info into his itunes?
    12-26-2013 10:40 PM
    I have no idea honestly I have never tried
    12-27-2013 02:45 AM
    IFlicks 2 does tags and conversion.
    iDentify 2 just does tags.

Both are on the Mac App Store. I haven't used either but I'm leaning towards buying iDentify because I already have conversion software. However, with iFlicks to you can automate the process. If I go with iDentify I could maybe try Automator.

Sent from my Retina iPad mini using Tapatalk 2
    12-27-2013 09:10 AM
    Meta Data. That's the term I've been looking for!

Thank you all!!!
    12-27-2013 02:45 PM