Bricked Apple TV - could it be fixed with a jailbreak?

Parsi

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I have an AppleTv 2. Well past warranty so I'm going to need to sort it out myself.

It worked fine until one day...it didn't. Basically it just stopped being recognised by my 2 televisions (same ones it had always worked on previously). There was no reason for this that I could see - I had not updated it, it has never been jailbroken and I hadn't even unplugged it since the last time I'd used it (only the day prior).

Basically the only thing that came up on the screen was 'no signal'.

Since then I've done the following:

- Restored it to no avail (the apple logo shows up for a few seconds but then it reverts back to 'no signal')
- Waited for new updates which I installed from my computer in the hopes that new updates might fix it (they didn't)
- Tried it on 3 other TVs - interestingly at one point it worked on one of those TV's (not mine I'm afraid). As per other things I've read I tried changing the output but this didn't effect it's use on the other TVs at all. Now a screen come up on the 1 TV it works on and starts with a setup menu but it doesn't respond to the remote.

I'm wondering if anyone has had any luck jailbreaking a TV to get it unbricked? Given it had never been jailbroken before I wondered if it may just give it new life. I've downloaded Seas0nPass (it's having trouble downloading the ipsw though) but wanted to see if anyone had any other pieces of advice.

Thanks,
Sara

Parsi

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Taz323, however I suspect this is not the issue as the AppleTV is recognised by ITunes, just not by my television. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried a different HDMI cable?
Also, when it is powered on does it have the constant white light on the front?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If it worked on one of the TVs then I doubt anything is wrong with the ATV. My guess would be a bad HDMI cable, more likely with the part that connects to other the ATV or the TV.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR