Is having an Apple TV enough to cancel cable or satellite TV subscription?

CardsFan314

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
For me yes. Apple TV + nba package + mlb package + netflix and Hulu plus = win for MartyMcfly. I don't miss cable/satellite at all.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
While I love my Apple TV, as others have mentioned it's just not enough. Plus paying for all my favorite shows would get very expensive ... Still attached to Cable over here, at least until we get some more network support on the Apple TV.

Balti43

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
This is exactly what i wanted to know. I want to buy one but should i wait till march of 2014 in case they make an announcement of a new one? i mean it will be 2 years by then.

quamdar

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I could totally do without cable if I could get ESPN without a cable subscription.

My watching habits:
-Sports Center (NFL live and MNF during NFL season too)
-News (CBS)
-Reruns of old sitcoms on TBS, The CW, WGN, etc.
-Food Network

So with local channels, netflix, and ESPN I can easily watch the same things I watch now. I actually have access to more sitcoms, only thing I miss out on is my Food Network programming (Barefoot Contessa, etc.) but that isn't worth the amount I pay for cable.

If I could get HBOGo and WatchESPN without cable then I'd be WAY better off that route than with cable.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
If someone could tell me how to get all my local shows and get hbogo and espn with out a log in from my cable provider then sure .. Until then I'm stuck

isuquinndog

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Other than live sports (which sucks for me, but not worth keeping DirecTV) there is very little that I can't watch via ATV. For some reason CBS is stuck in it's very old ways and does not use Hulu+ nor do they let you AirPlay from their website or App to a ATV. It's very annoying and frustrating. I'm not sure why out of the Big 4 Networks, they can't get on board.

isuquinndog

May 15, 2010
Visit site
To comment on the "If they had this then I'd switch, but not until then", what's the point of waiting? If the point is to save money, you obviously don't need to save it if ESPN viewing trumps your bank account. I didn't want to lose ESPN either, but my bank account had other ideas. I went from paying DirecTV $86.99/mo to paying Netflix and Hulu $17/mo. It's going to save me $840 over the course of 12 months.

I guess I don't get the point of "if they had this I'd switch" if you aren't wiling to switch now, why switch at all when it does come?

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Other than live sports (which sucks for me, but not worth keeping DirecTV) there is very little that I can't watch via ATV. For some reason CBS is stuck in it's very old ways and does not use Hulu+ nor do they let you AirPlay from their website or App to a ATV. It's very annoying and frustrating. I'm not sure why out of the Big 4 Networks, they can't get on board.
I really don't understand the reluctance of CBS to embrace Hulu, it's not like they don't load their streams with ads as well

JBaby_9783

Jan 22, 2009
Visit site
I really don't understand the reluctance of CBS to embrace Hulu, it's not like they don't load their streams with ads as well

This is why I boycott their shows. The only CBS show I watch is NCIS and I watch it via DVD from Netflix. There's plenty of other stuff to watch. I don't feel like I'm missing out.

Sent from my 64GB Space Gray iPhone 5s using Tapatalk 2

Criticatlarge

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Sorry this is sooo late, someone should have told you sooner: yes, Virginia, there's a reset!!
Try this: back up using the left-arrow as far as it'll go.
Then click the following buttons the indicated number of times. Ready? Here goes:

HOME - five times
UP - once
FAST REWIND - twice
FAST FORWARD - twice

In about 30 seconds the screen should blank, the ROKU will do a 'soft reset' and take you back to your home screen.

No more unplugging!! Works well also when using the TUNEIN channel - sometimes all you get is the BUFFERING message. That means it's time to RESET.

You're welcome :p

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Sorry this is sooo late, someone should have told you sooner: yes, Virginia, there's a reset!!
Try this: back up using the left-arrow as far as it'll go.
Then click the following buttons the indicated number of times. Ready? Here goes:

HOME - five times
UP - once
FAST REWIND - twice
FAST FORWARD - twice

In about 30 seconds the screen should blank, the ROKU will do a 'soft reset' and take you back to your home screen.

No more unplugging!! Works well also when using the TUNEIN channel - sometimes all you get is the BUFFERING message. That means it's time to RESET.

You're welcome :p

Please quote "Virginia" as well as the post where "Virginia" asked if "there's a reset". Maybe I'm just getting old and simply overlooked it.