Apple TV vs. Google Chromecast

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I have to admit, I haven't used my Apple TV in quite sometime. But I do think it's in for a bit of a revival (at least around my house), because I recently picked up a Google Chromecast. This USB device has rekindled my interest in peripherals for the TV, and the Apple TV is staring me square in the face day after day, taunting me to turn it on :p

My question is this... for those that have used or tried both an Apple TV and Chromecast... what are the benefits of each? And which one would you recommend to the end user? Would your recommendation rest solely on the users' choice of phone and/or computer? Or is the overall experience with the perhipheral alone enough to make up your mind?

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
I have to say I don't have either, but am looking to pick up Apple TV . So I am interested t see the different options of the two.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Benefits? Hmmm

1. Easy to connect & setup
2. Easy to use
3. Simple user interface
4. Nice assortment of options
5. Small, but professional & classy looking
6. iTunes Radio
7. The ability to rent & buy both music & video
8. Netflix integration
9. Watch ESPN integration
10. Airplay

The one weakness I see with the Apple TV is its remote control. It's slick and well-designed, but it doesn't feel as sturdy as I'd like.

bboykin87

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Is the Apple TV the only way to watch movies from iTunes on the tv? I have an iPad iPod and MacBook and just recently bought a 5s and was thinking about buying some movies and tv shows but not if I can't watch them on TV. I do know they have an adapter to hook the iPad and iPhone up to the tv but it isn't 1080p quality If I understand right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
If your TV has a computer input - you can get a cable that goes from the MacBook to the TV and do it that way... but the AppleTV is just easy... and it just works... and supports 1080p...

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I have not used an AppleTV so it's probably not really fair for me to comment, BUT I'm going to anyways. ;) While I love the Chromecast, and I can see it's potential, 35 dollars to get you a connected TV, Roku still beats it. The Roku is still fairly cheap also, and can be had for as little as 40 dollars depending on your model. I have the higher end 90 dollar model. Roku is stand alone meaning you don't need a phone or tablet to use it, HOWEVER you can enhance the experience with either. Also you get access to a LOT more services. And I love the channels/menu system the Roku uses, which Chromecast has nothing like. Where Chromecast shines is the ability to "cast" webpages.

I know AppleTV is very similar to Roku so it too probably has these same advantages. :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro