I have to admit, I haven't used my Apple TV in quite sometime. But I do think it's in for a bit of a revival (at least around my house), because I recently picked up a Google Chromecast. This USB device has rekindled my interest in peripherals for the TV, and the Apple TV is staring me square in the face day after day, taunting me to turn it on :P

My question is this... for those that have used or tried both an Apple TV and Chromecast... what are the benefits of each? And which one would you recommend to the end user? Would your recommendation rest solely on the users' choice of phone and/or computer? Or is the overall experience with the perhipheral alone enough to make up your mind?
    10-17-2013 09:33 AM
    I have to say I don't have either, but am looking to pick up Apple TV . So I am interested t see the different options of the two.
    10-17-2013 09:46 AM
    10-17-2013 09:47 AM
    Benefits? Hmmm

1. Easy to connect & setup
    2. Easy to use
    3. Simple user interface
    4. Nice assortment of options
    5. Small, but professional & classy looking
    6. iTunes Radio
    7. The ability to rent & buy both music & video
    8. Netflix integration
    9. Watch ESPN integration
    10. Airplay

The one weakness I see with the Apple TV is its remote control. It's slick and well-designed, but it doesn't feel as sturdy as I'd like.
    10-17-2013 09:51 AM
    Is the Apple TV the only way to watch movies from iTunes on the tv? I have an iPad iPod and MacBook and just recently bought a 5s and was thinking about buying some movies and tv shows but not if I can't watch them on TV. I do know they have an adapter to hook the iPad and iPhone up to the tv but it isn't 1080p quality If I understand right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    10-17-2013 10:00 AM
    If your TV has a computer input - you can get a cable that goes from the MacBook to the TV and do it that way... but the AppleTV is just easy... and it just works... and supports 1080p...
    10-17-2013 10:07 AM
    If your TV has a computer input - you can get a cable that goes from the MacBook to the TV and do it that way... but the AppleTV is just easy... and it just works... and supports 1080p...
    Or your MacBook has an hdmi output (don't need a computer input on the TV in that case).
    Or the lightning to hdmi adapter for an iPad or iPhone.
    10-17-2013 11:12 AM
    I have not used an AppleTV so it's probably not really fair for me to comment, BUT I'm going to anyways. While I love the Chromecast, and I can see it's potential, 35 dollars to get you a connected TV, Roku still beats it. The Roku is still fairly cheap also, and can be had for as little as 40 dollars depending on your model. I have the higher end 90 dollar model. Roku is stand alone meaning you don't need a phone or tablet to use it, HOWEVER you can enhance the experience with either. Also you get access to a LOT more services. And I love the channels/menu system the Roku uses, which Chromecast has nothing like. Where Chromecast shines is the ability to "cast" webpages.

I know AppleTV is very similar to Roku so it too probably has these same advantages.
    10-18-2013 11:13 AM
    The one weakness I see with the Apple TV is its remote control. It's slick and well-designed, but it doesn't feel as sturdy as I'd like.
    JMD,
    I use the Apple Remote app on my iPhone & iPad.
    Have you tried it. Free

Good Luck
    10-18-2013 09:10 PM
    JMD,
    I use the Apple Remote app on my iPhone & iPad.
    Have you tried it. Free

Good Luck
    This.
    10-19-2013 11:46 AM