I wonder if someone with an Apple TV would be kind enough to check something on the remote for me. My Apple TV is constantly rebooting, and I think it may be a problem with my remote. On mine, the menu button feels concave, as if it were pressed down but never bounced back. I'm guessing it's stuck and thereby continually rebooting the ATV. (Everything works fine if I use the remote app on my phone.)

I'm going to set up an appointment at the Apple Store to bring it in, but thought I would ask here first.
    08-27-2013 07:17 PM
    When I get home later I'll hold the menu button down to see what happens. Is that a way to reboot the ATV
    from the remote?
    08-27-2013 07:50 PM
    I never use the Apple Remote. I just have the commands programmed into my Logitech universal or I use the Remote app if that's charging.
    Fausty82 likes this.
    08-27-2013 07:52 PM
    I wonder if someone with an Apple TV would be kind enough to check something on the remote for me. My Apple TV is constantly rebooting, and I think it may be a problem with my remote. On mine, the menu button feels concave, as if it were pressed down but never bounced back. I'm guessing it's stuck and thereby continually rebooting the ATV. (Everything works fine if I use the remote app on my phone.)

I'm going to set up an appointment at the Apple Store to bring it in, but thought I would ask here first.
    The menu button on the AppleTV IS concave... have you tried the iPhone/iPod/iPad Remote app instead of using the ATV remote?
    08-27-2013 09:18 PM
    I never use the Apple Remote. I just have the commands programmed into my Logitech universal or I use the Remote app if that's charging.
    I love my Harmony Touch remote... my wife says it saved our marriage after I "went nuts" (her words) with the home theater system and the accompanying 7 remotes...
    08-27-2013 09:19 PM
    The menu button on the AppleTV IS concave... have you tried the iPhone/iPod/iPad Remote app instead of using the ATV remote?
    Thanks for confirming the concavity question...I have been using the Remote App, which works finedefinitely something with the atv remote.

Oh well, I have an appointment set up to test/replace it. Maybe I'll look into a universal while I'm out...
    BreakingKayfabe likes this.
    08-27-2013 11:21 PM
    Tested it. Holding down the menu button doesn't reboot the ATV.
    08-28-2013 07:55 PM
    Tested it. Holding down the menu button doesn't reboot the ATV.
    Same here. There’s obviously something else going on with the ATV. If it’s still under warranty, I’d say a trip to the Apple Store is in order, as Massie (the OP) suggested he might need to do...
    08-28-2013 08:17 PM
    Might be worth reinstalling the iOS on the AppleTV... it's just like installing a beta on an iPhone with a downloaded ipsw...
    08-28-2013 10:13 PM
    Thanks for testing things out, everyone. Whatever it is, it's only present when the included remote is powered on. Everything works fine as long as the remote isn't used...heading to the store on Friday, so I'll report back.
    08-28-2013 11:53 PM
    Update: mixed results. Went to the Apple store, where I explained what was happening. Received a diagnosis of a hardware problem, and the ATV was replaced. The remote was NOT replaced, although I did mention that the problem only occurred when using the remote, and disappeared when I used the Remote app.

Got home, plugged it in. No more reboots! But the remote is definitely not 100% either...the Menu button often requires multiple presses to register. Kind of disappointed they didn't replace both, but we'll see how it goes.
    08-30-2013 06:32 PM
    Update: mixed results. Went to the Apple store, where I explained what was happening. Received a diagnosis of a hardware problem, and the ATV was replaced. The remote was NOT replaced, although I did mention that the problem only occurred when using the remote, and disappeared when I used the Remote app.

Got home, plugged it in. No more reboots! But the remote is definitely not 100% either...the Menu button often requires multiple presses to register. Kind of disappointed they didn't replace both, but we'll see how it goes.
    Worst case you can pick up a remote on eBay used or buy a new one .. Or see if you can get apple to replace it

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !
    08-31-2013 09:35 PM
    Yep, going back in the morning.
    09-01-2013 12:20 AM
    Went back this morning, and they agreed the remote was faulty. They didn't have any factory replacements in stock, which would normally mean having to wait for one to ship (which would then mean another trip to the store for me).

Instead, they took a new one off the rack and sent me on my way with that. Couldn't be happier with the service.
    BreakingKayfabe and Fausty82 like this.
    09-01-2013 02:04 PM
    Went back this morning, and they agreed the remote was faulty. They didn't have any factory replacements in stock, which would normally mean having to wait for one to ship (which would then mean another trip to the store for me).

Instead, they took a new one off the rack and sent me on my way with that. Couldn't be happier with the service.
    Can't beat their service, that's for sure.
    09-01-2013 03:26 PM
    Can't beat their service, that's for sure.
    Totally agree.
    09-01-2013 05:58 PM

I have had that happen with cables before .. And people wonder why I love apple

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !
    09-01-2013 08:06 PM

Good for you Massie.

Good Look
    09-01-2013 09:43 PM