Hello. Have set up 2 step authorisation on my Google account ages ago but only yesterday did I try and log into my YouTube account on my AppleTV3. I get a message stating 'Unable to use this account with AppleTV, please use another account'

Now, I realise that I need to use an application specific password. This I have done, but no go.

​I get a different message if I deliberately enter my password wrong. This time it would tell me 'wrong username or password'. So in effect, the first message '...use another account' probably means my password is correct.

I am confused and not sure what to do as my account worked fine before I set up 2 step security.

Any ideas folks?

Thanks for reading.
    08-27-2013 02:43 PM
    Hello. Have set up 2 step authorisation on my Google account ages ago but only yesterday did I try and log into my YouTube account on my AppleTV3. I get a message stating 'Unable to use this account with AppleTV, please use another account'

Now, I realise that I need to use an application specific password. This I have done, but no go.

​I get a different message if I deliberately enter my password wrong. This time it would tell me 'wrong username or password'. So in effect, the first message '...use another account' probably means my password is correct.

I am confused and not sure what to do as my account worked fine before I set up 2 step security.

Any ideas folks?

Thanks for reading.
    In the password field you need to place a unique password generated from Googles 2 Step Verification page.
    It's probably 16 digits.
    So go to that page in Google & generate a password.

Good Luck
    08-27-2013 10:17 PM
    If you're using the app specific password like mentioned above, could it be that this is for a Google Apps account (like for a custom domain) that doesn't have YouTube access turned on?
    08-27-2013 11:11 PM
    Thanks, but as said, I have tried using an application specific password (16 digits) and that results in the 'Cannot use this account...' message.
    08-28-2013 04:44 AM
    Thanks, but as said, I have tried using an application specific password (16 digits) and that results in the 'Cannot use this account...' message.
    That's a different issue than my suggestion, though.
    08-28-2013 08:55 AM
    I am sorry Massie, my bad. I was referring to TurboTigers post. I haven't had the chance to look into your suggestion yet as I am at work. I will check things out later, time permitting. But thanks for taking the time to reply.
    08-28-2013 09:08 AM
    Sorry Wallace, I must have missed that in your OP.

I spent a long time trying to figure this out and even signed in with my email vs user name which they had been bugging me to do. Well that didn't work & I lost all my playlist.
    Then the unique password route worked for me.

Good Luck
    08-28-2013 09:34 PM
    Update:

I have ruled out the problem being caused by the Google 2 step authorisation process. I removed this completely from my Google account so I just used my standard password, not the 2 step process.

The problem still exists. Its not that the error message states wrong username or password, it tells me that this account cannot be used to log into YouTube. The two messages are subtly different.

In fact, if I deliberately enter my password wrong, it tells me wrong password or username.

Strange thing is that my YouTube log-in credentials are the same as if I was logging into YouTube on my PC, and it works there, indeed it works everywhere else - just not on my Apple TV.

I have ruled out it being a problem with the AppleTV 3 itself, as I still have my Apple TV 2. The result is the same using that too.

Really stumped and getting quite annoyed.
    08-29-2013 06:27 AM
    Update:

Sorted. It appears that having a 'standard' Google mail account is no longer acceptable for AppleTV to connect to YouTube. My password and username were correct but because I didn't have a YouTube Channel set up, login would always fail. I have now set one up (but never intend to use it) and what do you know? I can login to YouTube and see all my subscriptions again!

The error message from AppleTV could have been a touch more descriptive!

​Thanks for the advice though.
    08-30-2013 06:16 AM
    Update:

Sorted. It appears that having a 'standard' Google mail account is no longer acceptable for AppleTV to connect to YouTube. My password and username were correct but because I didn't have a YouTube Channel set up, login would always fail. I have now set one up (but never intend to use it) and what do you know? I can login to YouTube and see all my subscriptions again!

The error message from AppleTV could have been a touch more descriptive!

​Thanks for the advice though.
    Glad that work out for you Wallace.

Good Luck
    08-30-2013 09:55 PM