New 'Channels' on AppleTV

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Last edited:

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
It would be interesting to see Apple bid on it when DirectTV loses its contract.

DTV's deal expires at the end of the 2014 season... but the talk in the biz is that DTV will pay whatever it has to to keep it... I heard the current deal is $1B per season... DTV is worried about what will happen to them if they lose out in the next contract bid...

Coincidentally, my DTV contract will also be up about the end of the 2014 season... If DTV loses Sunday Ticket, they will also lose 9 year customer Fausty82.

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
You know you want one...

It is on my radar, so to speak, but as I've stated in another thread, my standalone Sony Blu-ray player has many of the same features. If it hadn't, I would probably already have an Apple TV. :)

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Here is an interesting column from Forbes on the latest AppleTV offerings.

AppleTV Has More Content, Now It Has To Get Good

What it really needs is to get DTV on board with the verification system... despite having DTV and the channel offerings (Disney, ESPN, HBO, etc), I cannot watch them on my AppleTV because either DTV, Apple (or both) have worked a deal to allow DTV customers to watch these channels via AppleTV with customer verification.

Coachbulldog

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
What it really needs is to get DTV on board with the verification system... despite having DTV and the channel offerings (Disney, ESPN, HBO, etc), I cannot watch them on my AppleTV because either DTV, Apple (or both) have worked a deal to allow DTV customers to watch these channels via AppleTV with customer verification.

From what I understand the issue is between Directv and Disney. In the area where I live Comcast-Xfinity customers can access all of these channels on their AppleTV plus they can take full advantage of apps like WatchESPN on their iPhones/iPads.

I know nothing about the Disney Channel and HBO to GO, but the WatchESPN AppleTV channel does have decent content for those who get their TV from a non supported provider like Directv.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
From what I understand the issue is between Directv and Disney. In the area where I live Comcast-Xfinity customers can access all of these channels on their AppleTV plus they can take full advantage of apps like WatchESPN on their iPhones/iPads.

I know nothing about the Disney Channel and HBO to GO, but the WatchESPN AppleTV channel does have decent content for those who get their TV from a non supported provider like Directv.

Yeah, I posted before I read the article you posted... the issue is that the Disney/DTV agreement hasn?t been renegotiated... apparently Disney doesn?t renegotiate anything... so DTV is "out of bounds" until time to re-up.

Here's the pertinent part of that article: said:
That means, to watch the new Disney and Disney XD offerings on AppleTV, you?ll need a subscription to one of the 7 supported cable companies (which include Comcast, Cox, Charter, AT&T Verizon, Optimum and Midcontinent). Dish and DirecTV are shut out, like they were with ESPN. The reason for this is apparently that Disney-owned stations won?t negotiate for app support with providers separately from their standard negotiations over programming and in the case of the satellite folks, those haven?t come up for a redo yet. Of course, as consumers, none of that matters to you. It just means if you?re among the more than 1/4th of U.S. homes that can?t get the new programming, you?re reminded about how archaic these business models are.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods