Apple TV remote app will not see my iPhone

willthetech

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
OK so after months of painful researching I decided to get an apple tv, so far everything is good...But for some reason when i go to remote app on apple tv my iphone is not listed. Weird thing is I can mirror my phone to my apple TV fine..."WTF":confused:...I am so confused...Apple tv and iPhone are in the same network (ATV wired, iPhone wireless)...I did all the basic trouble shooting like restart router, check ip, check all setting in my iPhone and ATV, home shearing is on in the same account...Any ideas?

Thanks

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
What 'Remote' app on AppleTV are you talking about? There is no app I'm aware of that will give one the ability to control an iDevice (phone or pad) FROM an AppleTV with an app... the Apple Remote app only allows control of AppleTVs from iDevices.

willthetech

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
There is no remote app on the Apple TV. There is a Remote app for the iPhone that let's you control the Apple TV. Is this what you meant?

What 'Remote' app on AppleTV are you talking about? There is no app I'm aware of that will give one the ability to control an iDevice (phone or pad) FROM an AppleTV with an app... the Apple Remote app only allows control of AppleTVs from iDevices.

I am sorry guys, that's what I meant, i downloaded the remote app in my iPhone and it will not see the apple tv for me to control it...

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
On the Remote app - click the "settings" icon, upper right corner... turn on Home Sharing... that should allow you to see the AppleTV and your iTunes library(ies) that have home sharing enabled.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Your AppleTV, iPhone & Remote app are all using the same AppleID as the iTunes on computer is using? And you're leaving iTunes running on the computer all the time?

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Your AppleTV, iPhone & Remote app are all using the same AppleID as the iTunes on computer is using? And you're leaving iTunes running on the computer all the time?

You don't have to keep iTunes running on the computer. Mine works even with the Mac off.

Do you think the ATV being a wired connection matters? I think I read somewhere before that to use the to iPhone remote they have to both be WiFi? I could be wrong.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Do you think the ATV being a wired connection matters? I think I read somewhere before that to use the to iPhone remote they have to both be WiFi? I could be wrong.
You can't play anything from a home shared library if the library can't be accessed... the only thing you could play from an iDevice without the iTunes library available is media stored directly on the iDevice, or streamed through it.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
You can't play anything from a home shared library if the library can't be accessed... the only thing you could play from an iDevice without the iTunes library available is media stored directly on the iDevice, or streamed through it.

I think it works for me cause of iTunes Match maybe?

willthetech

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
You don't have to keep iTunes running on the computer. Mine works even with the Mac off.

Hmm! ill have to try that when i get home

willthetech

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I have my apple TVs wired and it works just fine. I like using it to mess with my kids when they are using the Apple TV in another room.

Try going into Settings, General and somewhere in there is a network test. It might've able to give you some info.

I tried that before and nothing, odd thing is i can air share my iPhone to my Apple tv...

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
In order for the Remote app to be able to "see" and control the AppleTV - you have to turn on HomeSharing on the AppleTV itself using the same AppleID you're using on the iDevice(s).

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Wired or not it don't matter as long as phone a Apple TV are on same network I have 2 Apple TV one wireless and one wired I can control both from my phone or iPad ..

Double check your settings for network and make sure home sharing is turned on in the settings of Apple TV and on your iPhone

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
My iPhone 5 and iPad 4 are jailbroken and the remote app works as it's supposed to.

Dumb question. Did you unplug the ATV itself to reboot it? I noticed in your OP that
you reset the router but made no mention of resetting the ATV. And you did check
that the ATV firmware is up to date?

willthetech

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Ok so i decided to connect my ATV wireless instead and now it works, but wired it doesn't...Weird not sure if ATV and Dlink do not like to play with each other but for some reason iphone and ATV need to be wireless for the remote app to work in my nextwork.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR