Apple TV - Thinking of buying

1982ollie

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

Right I'm thinking of buying the above as I keep hearing great things about them and I'm wondering why I don't have one to be honest.

Need to understand a few things first.

How do they connect to the TV itself from the apple tv unit - By scart cable?
Can you install app's or do they just come pre loaded, like Netflix? What other app's are there?
I can project whats on my iPad and iPhone wireless right - Correct?
Anything else, tips & advise - Then please let me know why you love this device?

I'm literary just about to go and buy one today - Thought I should post here first to understand the device fully first.

Thanks everyone :)

glj104

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Connects with hdmi. You can mirror on iPhone 4s or iPad 2 and 3. I have one and love it. Apps are per installed.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Only issue with the new apple tv is that there is still no jailbreak for it. I have the 2 and its jailbroken- awesome! Can watch pretty much any movie/tv show whenever I want.

1982ollie

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Only issue with the new apple tv is that there is still no jailbreak for it. I have the 2 and its jailbroken- awesome! Can watch pretty much any movie/tv show whenever I want.

What are the benefits of using a jailbroken apple tv?

As I may consider buying a second hand unit?

Sent from my jailbroken iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
What are the benefits of using a jailbroken apple tv?

As I may consider buying a second hand unit?

Ton more things to watch for free. Look up xbmc and you will see all the repositories (apps ) that you can add. Ice films is great and so is 1movie. Really well worth it. Only issue is that at this point the 2 is more expensive then the 3.

Reactions: 1982ollie

1982ollie

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Ton more things to watch for free. Look up xbmc and you will see all the repositories (apps ) that you can add. Ice films is great and so is 1movie. Really well worth it. Only issue is that at this point the 2 is more expensive then the 3.

No way! A second hand 2 is more than a 3?

OMG - your right. They are like 100 pound more on eBay.

Looks like that's the way forward.

Thanks for the advise and tips.

Last edited:

Sancho90

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
I have the new Apple TV, not jailbroken of course, and I love it.

I use to own a Roku player before it, and my Apple TV trumps it in every way possibly.

Get it.

Sent from Sancho's Brain
(iPhone 4S, Tapatalk)

iMassguy

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
I bought one yesterday and haven't fully put it to use yet. Have just mirrored my new iPad and will be trying Netflixs for a month. So far, it seems to be pretty good!

1982ollie

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site

Hi Phreddyl,

I've looked up xbmc and ice films on the web. So I thought I would try it out on my iPad first.

I've installed xbmc via Cydia on my jailbroken iPad. But I can't work out how to actually watch a film.

I assume you have to run the hosts through xbmc or something like that.

Also, I guess that xbmc from Cydia for the iPad is the same as running it on apple tv.

Can you give some help here or point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I wish I could. I bought mine already jail broken. I know they put flash black on it. I don't have it for iPad.

1982ollie

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
I wish I could. I bought mine already jail broken. I know they put flash black on it. I don't have it for iPad.

Ok. No worries. I'm sure I'll work it out. I'm checking there forum. There is loads of stuff on there!

Thanks for sending me on a mad one where I will waste loads of time trying to work something out. Lol. Only joking. It will be fun.

Thanks for pointing me in the direction.

1982ollie

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site

I've worked out how to add plugins/repo's and omg this is amazing! Can't believe I didn't know about XBMC. Seriously thanks for pointing me towards it!!

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I've worked out how to add plugins/repo's and omg this is amazing! Can't believe I didn't know about XBMC. Seriously thanks for pointing me towards it!!

No problem. That's why IMO the 2 is a better buy then the 3. I canceled my Netflix and its already paid for itself.

1982ollie

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Interesting thread. I'm also hoping to buy apple TV soon, just need to understand it a little more. Haha

Just worked it all out my friend. The way forward is a jailbroken ATV 2 or just use your iPad or iPhone with a tv cable running xbmc. Cable tv is something of the past.

Mella

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Same here, used to own a Roku player, but now enjoy my ATV very much!

@1982ollie, FYI, Apple?s $99 set-top box: Apple TV supports 1080p playback and can access the iTunes store so you can watch movies, play Internet radio, use a handful of services like Netflix and YouTube, and, if you pay $25 per year, access your entire music library including ripped CDs through iTunes Match. If you use an iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch, its most compelling, exclusive feature is Apple?s AirPlay wireless streaming. With AirPlay on the Apple TV, you can stream photos, video, and music stored on your iOS device to your HDTV. During a party, this would allow the host to pump music through a home theater system while changing the music from the iPhone.

Reactions: 1982ollie

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro