Amazon Prime on JB ATV?

rich67

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I have a second gen ATV, and I am debating jailbreaking it. I have been looking for whether or not you can get Amazon Prime on a Jailbroken ATV device, and can't find any place that gives me a definite answer as to whether or not this is attainable. Anyone got Amazon on their JB TV that can give me a hint as to how to do it/which JB program to use to get it? Thanks...

rich67

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Here's a little follow up for everyone. In case you're wondering why the Apple TV forum is severely lacking in Jailkbreak info/ responses, here's why: JAILBREAKING THE APPLE TV2 IS POINTLESS. Yes. That's right. It's a waste of time and you're better off leaving the thing stock.
I jailbroke mine today using FireCore's Seas0n Pass. Went relatively smoothly, with only a minor iTunes conflict, but that was easily resolved and I was jailbroken in under 20 minutes.
I installed XMBC through the terminal and was up and running..
I then started by adding the BlueCop repo, which allows you to install add ons like "Free Cable" and (drum roll please) AMAZON!
So I fired up Amazon, and immediately received a plugin error. After some research, I found that Amazon Prime won't stream to XBMC due to DRM issues. Shot down.
Then I went to "Free Cable", and noticed a healthy selection of awesome TV channels like Nat Geo, Spike, ABC, NBC, etc. I tried accessing those programs. ABC and NBC worked pretty well, but I could not get anything to buffer from most of the other channels. Well, another dud.
Then I added Icefilms, which (if you look into Ebay auctions for expensive jailbroken ATV2's) appears to be the holy grail of free streaming movies. I tried watching 2 movies, both pulling from Rapidshare (which is a pretty quick server) and then a couple from a separate server. One movie buffered for 15 minutes, would hang up all the time, and had severe digitization. The other ones wouldn't buffer at all.
So, if you want my honest opinion? LEAVE IT STOCK. It's a waste of time. XBMC is also laggy on the 5.0.1 platform and is choppy at times. I'll stick to Amazon on my PS3 or Roku, and if I want other movies I'll download them for the 'net and stream them from my Mac. Un jailbreaking right now. :mad:

Last edited:

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
All I know is right now I am watching the movie Safe House on my jailbroken apple tv2. Love all the free movies. Paid for itself between canceling Netflix and not needing redbox.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
XBMC. Was on icefilms. Not all the links work but I usually thru trial and error i find ones that do. There is a lot jailbreak has to offer.

rich67

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm. Yeah, I was not impressed. I don't use Netflix, I'm solely on Amazon Prime. Guess I'll just stick to my Roku and PS3 to get it. Icefilms was not exactly impressing me. Thanks.

Beryl

Dec 29, 2000
Visit site
XBMC. Was on icefilms. Not all the links work but I usually thru trial and error i find ones that do. There is a lot jailbreak has to offer.

Agreed. I am impressed by what JB has to offer via Hulu and movies. Amazon Prime doesn't work for me on it but it works on my Sony MP and Panasonic BP. It is very nice to have increased options.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro