Fix the bugs. I know its just a software update, but please, fix the bugs.
    07-18-2014 06:50 PM
    My list:

-Completely redesign the UI.
    -More RAM
    -A8 Chip
    -CableCard input with TiVo like service and recording abilities.
    -Ability to connect to other apple tv's to share recorded content
    -Safari.
    -App Store for Apple TV
    -Ability to delete built in crap i'll never use instead of just hiding it.
    -Better remote, maybe with a keyboard.
    -Completely new Remote iOS app
    -802.11ac
    -FaceTime
    -Search (Local, Google, Wikipedia, IMDB)
    -Siri
    Flow39 likes this.
    07-26-2014 02:10 AM
    My list:

-Completely redesign the UI.
    -More RAM
    -A8 Chip
    -CableCard input with TiVo like service and recording abilities.
    -Ability to connect to other apple tv's to share recorded content
    -Safari.
    -App Store for Apple TV
    -Ability to delete built in crap i'll never use instead of just hiding it.
    -Better remote, maybe with a keyboard.
    -Completely new Remote iOS app
    -802.11ac
    -FaceTime
    -Search (Local, Google, Wikipedia, IMDB)
    -Siri
    This is exactly my want list as well, but you just added a few more thing I never thought of until just now!
    07-28-2014 12:19 PM
    My wish is a bit tame as I want Apple TV to maintain low cost.

Hardware want list:
    1. 802.11ac
    2. Wi-Fi router (duplicate AirPort Express)
    3. Faster processors and more memory
    4. H.265 HEVC, 4K
    5. HDMI 2.0
    6. Bluetooth remote

Software want list:
    1. App Store
    2. Centralized subscription management
    3. Spotlight search that can search for contents within the apps (apps would obviously need to publish contents)
    4. Beats Music
    5. Better Netflix
    08-26-2014 01:23 PM
    - A better UI
    - New input method (anything has got to be better than we have right now, which is basically a d-pad)
    - ability to access networked/connected drives for content
    - something like Amazon's X-ray for movies and tv
    - FaceTime video remote display
    - FaceTime audio remote speaker
    - ADD Channel - think Panic's StatusBoard but with the local news/weather/traffic and other configurable widgets as a default screen
    - wider licensing for foreign properties (I should be able, especially as a Canadian to get BBC shoes on day and date and not have to wait 6 months). I know that more of an iTunes feature than an TV4 feature but I rarely use iTunes on my Mac now compared to the TV
    10-28-2014 05:00 PM
    HBO GO that doesn't need a friggin cable sub.
    11-08-2014 03:03 PM
    HBO GO that doesn't need a friggin cable sub.
    That's an HBO issue not Apple TV. But HBO did announce they're going to ofer HBO GO without a cable subscription starting in 2015.
    11-08-2014 04:09 PM
    I understand this is a slightly late response, what I would like to see is it's own native safari web browser, with that it also must support plug-ins like the normal safari browsers on macs.
    11-12-2014 06:35 AM
    Really tired of my disc-based Sony "wait station" and I would love to see Apple's take on large-screen, console-style gaming. Would that mean an App Store for Apple TV? Or just better remote functionality?

Also would love to see upgraded support for surround sound audio. We have 1080p HD iTunes video, but still have DVD-quality audio. Although you can crank up the the Dolby Digital bit rate in Compressor approx. 40% higher than a standard DVD release, I believe it's time to offer a higher level of audio quality more in line with the HD video being offered today. Maybe Dolby Digital Plus? I would really love options for lossless audio codecs. Especially for iTunes music tracks...

We'll see what 2015 brings!

Cheers!
    12-16-2014 07:45 AM
    im new to researching the apple tv

my needs are for remote access to nextflix and comcast during camping useing my Iphone as a hot spot? do you have any info on how well that works?
    12-18-2014 12:21 PM
    Bugs? What bugs? I have 2 Apple TV 3rd generation (1 Rev A), a Roku 2XD, and an Amazon Fire Stick. You want to see bugs? Look at the Roku and Amazon. I don't know about Chromecast. But Apple TV's rock. The telling piece of info here, is that my kids profess to like Roku, but never use it. Never. They constantly use Apple TV - it is better for the same things Roku, Fire Stick do, and then you have things they don't do.
    01-13-2015 01:19 PM
    What I don't see anywhere, and this would be HUGE with a capital H:

I want to see the ability to accessorize Apple TV with an integrated switch box. Imagine, you buy one or more HDMI "hubs" that you mate to your Apple TV. Then, when you hook a device to one of the hub inputs, you give it a name. So you hook up one and call it "XBox One" - another and call it "Blu Ray Player", yet another "Cable TV". Then, you go to the "Inputs" App on Apple TV, and can switch between them.

Better yet, what if the HDMI cable was 2-way? So if the device you hook up is "Apple TV Ready", then you can use your Apple TV Remote App on your iPhone or iPad to control the device - pause, play, rewind, ff, menu, up, down, left, right, Enter, etc. I can foresee a whole new world of possibilities open up - and I no longer have to fudge around with a hokey series of dumb third-party switchbox hookups. Why limit to HDMI? There should also be a hub supporting HDMI conversion from analog formats. And, let's say a hub only supports, say 4 inputs, and you use them all up. Simply buy another one and mate it to the same Apple TV, and you are done. It should just work. More inputs, dynamically expandable.
    01-13-2015 01:27 PM
    What I don't see anywhere, and this would be HUGE with a capital H:

I want to see the ability to accessorize Apple TV with an integrated switch box. Imagine, you buy one or more HDMI "hubs" that you mate to your Apple TV. Then, when you hook a device to one of the hub inputs, you give it a name. So you hook up one and call it "XBox One" - another and call it "Blu Ray Player", yet another "Cable TV". Then, you go to the "Inputs" App on Apple TV, and can switch between them.

Better yet, what if the HDMI cable was 2-way? So if the device you hook up is "Apple TV Ready", then you can use your Apple TV Remote App on your iPhone or iPad to control the device - pause, play, rewind, ff, menu, up, down, left, right, Enter, etc. I can foresee a whole new world of possibilities open up - and I no longer have to fudge around with a hokey series of dumb third-party switchbox hookups. Why limit to HDMI? There should also be a hub supporting HDMI conversion from analog formats. And, let's say a hub only supports, say 4 inputs, and you use them all up. Simply buy another one and mate it to the same Apple TV, and you are done. It should just work. More inputs, dynamically expandable.
    Sounds like you want an A/V receiver. They certainly serve as a "hub" connecting all your inputs and outputs.
    01-13-2015 02:10 PM
    Better happen this year- 2015! It been over two years and it getting old hardware wise and feature wise too!

Many more players in this marketplace now too!

Apple cannot afford to keep on delaying when Amazon and Google are now in this market with their own hardware.
    01-26-2015 01:27 AM
    Like to see following--Ok much can't be done in next release, but Apple needs greater vision to move the device further along regardless on cable and content providers current limitations.

Management Services:
    Able to do set up from Siri and or Mac directly, so current or near current simple remote stays
    Simple single sign on for each service subscription. Ability to automate logon once set
    Simple single sign on for each service subscription. Ability to automate logon once set

Connectivity:
    Able to connect to local servers and network storage devices to play local content, and devices with USB ports
    Able to connect and read local MP4 formatted video as well as MAC formatted content
    MAC video server network compatible with Apple TV

UI
    ONE Interactive Guide for all subscribed services
    Auto tune or set series of watch in order shows
    DVR service app to manage MAC video server above

Technology/Marketing Features: Expansion of ecosystem
    Maintain low cost per unit to acquire, expand
    Capable of whole home entertainment, control or link multiple room devices
    Save Customer money over ridiculous monthly DVR and TV Outlet costs
    Add connectivity to home telephone wiring: Offer internet phone/FAX/service
    Add connectivity to home multifunction printer services
    Tightly integrate to IOS for remote away management

Use as front door to home automation
    Connect to and manage local home video and alarm security system
    Connect to and manage video doorbell, etc
    [Connect to and manage other home productions: Appliances, Lighting, HVAC, sprinklers, etc
    Last edited by kch50428; 02-06-2015 at 10:02 AM. Reason: fix open tags
    02-06-2015 09:59 AM
    A better remote and UI are also top of the list for me. I feel the remote could have just a bit more.
    Still better than most TV remotes where you spend 5 mins squinting at the buttons.... :P
    02-07-2015 02:50 PM
    Oh wait. How could I forget App Store? If only that could happen. Dedicated games just for Apple TV would be amazing.
    02-07-2015 02:52 PM
    Actually, instead of having an Apple TV, just make it to where you have software that links directly to your TV so you don't need to buy an Apple TV. Then make an Apple TV software subscription that cost like $20 a year. Apple would then make almost 100% profit. It'd be an app
    02-21-2015 10:29 PM
    Unified search would be so awesome. I hate not having that feature when I search for movies.

Another thing that would be cool for the next-gen would be if it had a built in antenna for the regular over-the-air channels on the television itself.
    03-02-2015 06:01 PM
    A better remote and UI are also top of the list for me. I feel the remote could have just a bit more.
    Still better than most TV remotes where you spend 5 mins squinting at the buttons.... :P
    Those two improvements alone would be great!
    03-02-2015 07:48 PM
    I would really like to stream videos from my NAS without iTunes running on my PC and control it all from my iPad.
    05-10-2015 11:45 AM
71 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD