Emergency notifications. Yes, they happen. If there's a tornado outside and I'm watching Apple TV I still want to get the alarm.
    That's what 'government alerts' on your phone are for... or, there are apps for that on your phone. Or iPad. The new WetherChannel on the AppleTV is passive notification of alerts on the AppleTV...
    09-04-2013 12:13 PM
    802.11Ac
    And
    FM emitter so we can easily send music to any FM radio in the house !

So before that happen, I just plug an FM emitter to my Airport express and voila
    Easy music everywhere I want in the house !
    10-12-2013 12:34 AM
    Most of my stuff is 'fix what you already have' and less of the shiny new stuff. But....

Fix iTunes metadata tagging. Many of the fields in Get Info (sort title, etc.) just don't work. Bring back submenus. For example: In Action & Adventure movie genre I'd like a submenu labeled "Bond" and then have the movies in chronological order - not alphabetical. I could do this on the 1st gen aTV and I still miss it. Same same for TV shows. I'm tired of scrolling through "Simpsons, season 1", "Simpsons, season 2"...."Simpsons, season 21". I just don't think the interface doesn't grow well.

Audio. I'd like to see what an Apple wireless speaker home theater system would look like.

Add iChat via iSight. Talking to people. Still happens.

New front screen. I just don't use most of those icons, and I'm tired of looking at advertisements for Netflix, Hulu and Major League Baseball every time I turn on my TV. They're as bad as my cable provider, where I have to scroll through all those channels I haven't paid for. Let me arrange (and remove) the icons I'm not interested in.

Games? I'm less interested in games ever since games started requiring me to sign onto their systems even for single-player mode. But a game for the family with an iPhone/iPad controller sounds like something that would be fun.

DVD streaming. Yes, I get DVD's from the library and I'd like to stream them to my TV from my Mac.

Emergency notifications. Yes, they happen. If there's a tornado outside and I'm watching Apple TV I still want to get the alarm.
    You can rearrange the icons.

Depending on the age of your Mac, put the DVD in, and use Airplay screen mirroring to get it to the Apple TV.
    10-12-2013 09:17 AM
    Most of my stuff is 'fix what you already have' and less of the shiny new stuff. But....

New front screen. I just don't use most of those icons, and I'm tired of looking at advertisements for Netflix, Hulu and Major League Baseball every time I turn on my TV. They're as bad as my cable provider, where I have to scroll through all those channels I haven't paid for. Let me arrange (and remove) the icons I'm not interested in.
    You can rearrange icons. Just select an icon and click until it goes into "wiggle mode"... then move it where you want.

Also using SETTINGS > GENERAL > RESTRICTIONS you can hide the icons that you don’t want to see.

Easy. Peasy.
    10-12-2013 12:24 PM
    How about, having the new ATVs run iOS apps?
    Maybe some kind of dashboard like we have in iOS 7, to see upcoming events etc.
    10-15-2013 10:04 AM
    As a teacher, I'd like support for more advanced educational networks so that I can use it in my classroom again.
    10-17-2013 10:45 PM
    wifi 8.2.11ac
    HDD interface
    wifi remote control instead of IR
    10-18-2013 09:59 AM
    wifi 8.2.11ac
    HDD interface
    I don't think you'll get any of those though. For a wifi remote, just use you iPhone or iPad assuming you have one of course. They tried having an HDD in the original Apple TV, but I guess that didn't work so well since it was discontinued. Faster wifi might be nice, but I doubt they'll include it since very few people have routers that could take advantage of it. But it would be nice to have anyway (although I always use Ethernet cables to hook up my Apple TVs).
    10-18-2013 10:17 AM
    wifi 8.2.11ac
    HDD interface
    I don't think you'll get any of those though. For a wifi remote, just use you iPhone or iPad assuming you have one of course. They tried having an HDD in the original Apple TV, but I guess that didn't work so well since it was discontinued. Faster wifi might be nice, but I doubt they'll include it since very few people have routers that could take advantage of it. But it would be nice to have anyway (although I always use Ethernet cables to hook up my Apple TVs).
    Id like to see 802.11ac, as well... Its true that few routers support it yet, but the new Airport Extreme and TimeCapsules do, and somebody has to start the movement to ac... I have one room that I have not yet run cat5e into, so the faster speed would be nice for streaming.

I agree that if you need a wifi remote, that you iOS device is the perfect answer... and you can now easily and painlessly connect a bluetooth keyboard, as well.

And we all know that the HDD in the original ATV was problematic. I still have one, and I fire it up every once in a while and remember why I got the ATV v2 (and v3).
    10-18-2013 10:41 AM
    Yep, it's a pain to use your phone for it. It's also a "remote" you don't want anyone else using.
    We have it on a couple phones and I have it on my iPad as well. I have to because we keep losing the little remote that it comes with.
    12-15-2013 10:39 AM
    We have it on a couple phones and I have it on my iPad as well. I have to because we keep losing the little remote that it comes with.
    We have a harmony remote because my kiddo kept losing the small apple one. I finally just threw the apple one in its box.
    12-15-2013 10:42 AM
    more Chanel discovery - net geo is too best seen with more clear
    12-24-2013 02:22 AM
    Maybe make it a little more gaming friendly.
    12-24-2013 11:51 PM
    App store like iOS, hands down, especially for gaming. Imagine the possibilities lol.

As for storage like the 1st gen ATV, bring that back, but make it flash memory-based.
    12-26-2013 10:04 PM
    App Store-Rdio, crackle, spotify, etc

Better remote with 10 second rewind function

DVR functionality with cable pass through. Basically an apple version of TiVo.
    01-16-2014 02:54 AM
    App Store-Rdio, crackle, spotify, etc

Better remote with 10 second rewind function

DVR functionality with cable pass through. Basically an apple version of TiVo.
    Crackle is already on the Apple TV now.
    01-19-2014 12:37 AM
    A fully open App Store would be the biggie. For us UK Apple fans the ATV has always been a curio at best, lacking as it is almost all UK streaming services. The iPad/iPhone on the other hand, with their fully open app stores, have every UK streaming service imaginable.

I'd also like to see the ATV get a universal search feature, with recommendations and favourite series/directors/actors. That way the home screen could be nicely customised to show the things I'm interested in, regardless of which service they're hosted on. Notifications across my iOS devices could also tell me when there's a new episode of any show I have flagged. Search would of course be handled by Siri - stick a little microphone in the Apple remote to save me shouting across the room Kinect style.

An iOS7 style all new UI would of course also be a must.

More storage too, and storage options. If games are coming I'm going to need lots of storage. And a much beefier GPU too. The current A7 is far less powerful than a PS3, so it needs a lot more power if it's to be a realistic living room gaming system.

There's a ton of potential. I hope Apple see that and act upon it. It's been 7 years already, and the ATV is still an oddity
    01-28-2014 05:37 PM
    There's a rumor out and about that the next AppleTV may include full blown AirPort Express abilities and maybe a TV tuner...
    EmceeGeek likes this.
    01-28-2014 05:40 PM
    There's a rumor out and about that the next AppleTV may include full blown AirPort Express abilities and maybe a TV tuner...
    That would be wonderful if it were to pan out
    01-28-2014 06:27 PM
    I humbly want Apple to make the TV experience simple and easy to locate "real" content. Content like live sports and news in addition to filler channels that they have been adding lately. What is simple & easy? Don't really know until Apple unveils it hopefully this year.
    03-09-2014 10:29 AM
    Canadian cable compatibility and an app store like with the Roku
    04-02-2014 09:08 PM
    Canadian cable compatibility...
    That will never happen as long as the CRTC is around...

Sent from my iPhone 5S or 5th gen iPod Touch using Tapatalk
    04-02-2014 11:27 PM
    1. Better codec/container support. Mkv, mp4, mpeg, wmv, avi, xvid, dts, ac3, srt in many containers, etc. (i don't recall all it supports now but failure in this area is why i don't own one).
    2. Faster navigation. Up the processor like the Amazon Fire TV did. Don't be laggy.
    3. App store so better apps can be made and added, like xbmc, plex, google play and all the stuff people really want like say spotify, beats, or whatever. allow it to compete with roku.
    4. USB ports to attach my upcoming 4TB drive directly.
    5. Multiple interface skins or themes so to speak.
    6. a remote for people with man hands would be nice.
    7. General ability to customize. Not a take it or leave it solution for people that only use one thing, one way or one app. Some people may not want giant candy icons. Me i think simple minimalistic lists are kinda nice for the home page.

In general i'd hope apple tried to make the best device for consumers not what it has recently been doing by trying to make the best apple delivery device aimed at the people currently beholden to the Apple ecosystem. I have no problem with an Apple device that makes it easy to buy things from Apple. But don't ignore other feature in hopes that i'll just take it. I won't. I'll just choose something else. Like i know you want to rent me movies but don't make it hard for me to play my own content. Don't skimp on usb ports that I used to plug in my storage. Don't make it have less or inadequate compatibility with usb drives vs networked drives. The mantra is "it just works." It should just work better an any other device whether i'm buying from apple or not or using icloud or not.
    04-21-2014 02:40 AM
    I humbly want Apple to make the TV experience simple and easy to locate "real" content. Content like live sports and news in addition to filler channels that they have been adding lately. What is simple & easy? Don't really know until Apple unveils it hopefully this year.
    sports on a set top box tend to be largely dependent on the people that produce the games allowing it. Apple doesn't really have much to do with it. Like ESPN produces Monday Night football. It's their choice as to whether they allow people to stream a game over a set top box like apple tv. In fact typically, The NFL sells the broadcast rights to the games, for example monday night football, and it sells the right to broadcast on tv and the right to stream digitally over the internet. ESPN (and every other network) has to buy both rights. Now typically they do because it's worth the cost. But they don't have to. Now ESPN can give it away the right to stream free to every cable network it has a deal with or it can sell it to the networks as part of a package. ESPN sells it to cable companies and if they buy it you can stream that stuff live in the ESPN app. But Apple's not in that equation other than providing a place to put an ESPN App or cutting a deal with ESPN to make an app.
    04-21-2014 02:51 AM
    My Wishlist isn't based in reality but these are the things I'd like to see:

1. Gary Busey in the Ad.

2. Siri built into the remote and unit.

3. Safari

4. Third party sdk. Would love news, weather and other apps. A spotify app would be killer.

5. TiVo like functionality.

6. Internal storage.

7. Better ui/ux

8. Remote with a keyboard. Like boxee's.

9. Better iPhone/iPad companion app. Current app sucks so hard.

10. 802.11ac
    Speedygi likes this.
    04-26-2014 01:59 AM
71 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD