So I've been debating getting a new AppleTV... we currently have 2 of the previous model in our home. One in the living room and one in the bedroom.

I'd be replacing the living room one as it's a 50" 1080p plasma where the bedroom is a 42" 720p LCD.

No need to replace the bedroom. But is it really worth it? The price tag isn't that bad but is the picture quality really worth the upgrade?

What do you guys think? Talk me in or out of it. Go!
    fixerman likes this.
    03-18-2012 08:04 PM
    Depending on what your watching you might not even notice the
    Difference. I have a jailbroken 2 which I'm happy with and not replacing. Of course I just spent $640 on the new iPad and $200 on the iPhone 4s.
    03-18-2012 08:34 PM
    I have a second generation in my kitchen, and yesterday did the update for it that supposed to upgrade to the same software for the 3rd generation. I also purchased a third generation yesterday for the upstairs man cave. I hooked it up to the home theater AV receiver and also programmed it on my Logitech Harmony One remote.....AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!
    DaPhoneking likes this.
    03-18-2012 08:39 PM
    I have a second generation in my kitchen, and yesterday did the update for it that supposed to upgrade to the same software for the 3rd generation. I also purchased a third generation yesterday for the upstairs man cave. I hooked it up to the home theater AV receiver and also programmed it on my Logitech Harmony One remote.....AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!
    Everything that you say is true... but no software upgrades can upgrade the output from 720p to 1080p...

That may not be of any real issue/value, but it is a fact... and in some cases, for some people, it's a huge issue... #justsaying
    03-18-2012 09:05 PM
    I'm just not quite sure we'd notice a huge difference from what we already have. I guess I'm also thinking about the amount of quality degradation that comes from streaming and buffering in general. :\
    03-20-2012 12:33 PM
    I know it wasn't enough for me to get the new one. I'm happy with what I have. It's been an expensive apple month for me.
    03-20-2012 07:19 PM
    I got one... figured out AirPlay & mirroring... Like that.

Got around to now watching some shows... Have M*A*S*H ripped from DVD in my iTunes library... I have to say - in their 640x480 they look better on my Samsung LCD TV via the new AppleTV than my original AppleTV (the 160GB version...)

And using the Remote app via the iPad... I believe I made a video playlist shuffle... I have to play with that more to make sure I'm not crazy.

If you have a TV capable of 1080p - having a device capable of outputting that isn't a bad thing.

Go for it
    03-20-2012 11:37 PM
    What's your Internet speeds? If you don't have at least 10 mbps down you won't even get 1080. At least from what I heard.
    03-23-2012 10:34 PM
    What's your Internet speeds? If you don't have at least 10 mbps down you won't even get 1080. At least from what I heard.
    Yeah we have the speeds. Average of around 25-30 down. Sometimes a little less sometimes more.

Anyone else seeing lag on the new UI?

I'm seeing it on my Apple TV 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    03-24-2012 08:02 PM
    Yeah we have the speeds. Average of around 25-30 down. Sometimes a little less sometimes more.

Anyone else seeing lag on the new UI?

I'm seeing it on my Apple TV 2.

Lucky!! I get 3 mbps down. That's the fastest I can get where I live. Heck you only live once buy it.
    03-24-2012 08:18 PM
    I had an ATV 2... Wasn't going to upgrade. But the lag and sluggishness (especially processing full HD content) threw me over the edge. Got an ATV 3.... Honestly... MUCH better. Significantly faster. Interface definitely crisper - 1080 is noticeable to me. And 1080 movies are insanely beautiful!!! Crunches through HD content no problem. Lag and sluggishness gone.

SO worth the upgrade!!!

PS - (I have a fairly new Sony Bravia LCD... I've heard some older LCD's that only do 1080i can't use the 1080 from the ATV3... Luckily my tv does 1080p)
    DaPhoneking likes this.
    03-26-2012 08:21 PM
    This is false. My Internet is 5mbps at best. I'm watching full 1080p as we speak. My tv (Sony) senses and displays what mode (1080p, 720p, 1080i, etc). My dish network only does 1080i. My ATV 2 only 720p obviously. This one - full 1080p. And contrary to what some might say, the picture quality (for content that was 1080p to start, like BD, and new iTunes movies) is definitely a noticeable improvement!
    03-26-2012 08:26 PM
    I just got one yesterday, i already love it. airplay is amazing!
    05-06-2012 07:20 PM
    I have had my apple tv for about a year now and I will admit it is amazing. I love the airplay feature not to mention Netflix at my disposal. If you use iTunes a lot and have Netflix it is an amazing buy.
    DaPhoneking likes this.
    05-09-2012 07:56 AM
    Mine is going back. Hate it. We only have 3.5mbps up here, but I'd expect ATV to at least download overnight ready to watch the next day. Nope. Watching War Horse, got 1.5 hours in before it sticks at "ready to play in 57 minutes" and nev changes, despite Netflix working fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    05-15-2012 03:55 PM
    I love my 3rd generation, nothing like hand braking movies adding them to iTunes, and then having access to my entire library without having to move more than thumb press! lol!
    05-25-2012 08:12 PM
    I got one last sunday.....LOVE IT!!!! Getting 1080p easy with multiple users on the internet.......on DSL
    06-02-2012 11:44 AM
    I'm also thinking about the amount of quality degradation that comes from streaming and buffering in general. :\
    I find the picture quality of the iTunes movies I've watched on the 3rd gen Apple TV to be has good as Blu Ray.

I had the same thought as you regarding degradation with streaming, but I honestly couldn't distinguish between watching a Blu Ray title and watching a 1080p iTunes movie.
    06-24-2012 05:09 PM
    I find the picture quality of the iTunes movies I've watched on the 3rd gen Apple TV to be has good as Blu Ray.

I had the same thought as you regarding degradation with streaming, but I honestly couldn't distinguish between watching a Blu Ray title and watching a 1080p iTunes movie.
    Hmmm that may push me over the edge then. I'll replace one of our atv 2's at home with the 3rd and take the other 2nd to my office

08-08-2012 12:06 AM
    Can I come over to your house and play?
    08-17-2012 09:51 PM
    I had an ATV 2... Wasn't going to upgrade. But the lag and sluggishness (especially processing full HD content) threw me over the edge. Got an ATV 3.... Honestly... MUCH better. Significantly faster. Interface definitely crisper - 1080 is noticeable to me. And 1080 movies are insanely beautiful!!! Crunches through HD content no problem. Lag and sluggishness gone.

SO worth the upgrade!!!

PS - (I have a fairly new Sony Bravia LCD... I've heard some older LCD's that only do 1080i can't use the 1080 from the ATV3... Luckily my tv does 1080p)
    Congratulations. You just talked me into possibly buying a ATV 3.....
    08-17-2012 09:55 PM
    08-17-2012 10:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD