Got mine running on Wi-Fi. Can anyone tell me if there is any advantage to hooking up ethernet also? Can it use both at the same time?
    03-15-2012 07:59 PM
    Can it use both at the same time?
    Nope you have to switch between the two..

Got mine running on Wi-Fi. Can anyone tell me if there is any advantage to hooking up ethernet also?
    Typically better streaming over Ethernet though I've never had problems steaming over my Wifi even with a slightly congested network (lots of devices doing stuff). I think this is because Ethernet has less congestion and less of the actual bits are dedicated to error correction.

It only seems to break down when someone send a large file over Wifi that eats bandwidth.

If you have a dual band N router I'd suggest sticking the ATV3 on the 5Ghz band (providing range is there) and using/enabling 40 Mhz wide channels. This should give you the best possible bandwidth to the device from your server/mac/pc.

If you hit 130-160Mbps+ then you should be able to stream at least 11MB/s to the Apple TV consistently, more than enough for 720p content but maybe a little sketchy for consistent 1080p depending on what else is going on within the network and the compression of source material.

ref: SmallNetBuilder

Hope this helps.

~ Steph
    gjrhine likes this.
    03-20-2012 01:21 AM
    Smooth streaming with FiOS wifi here.
    03-20-2012 11:06 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD