When Apple TV 3 hits, what are we going to do with all the old Apple TVs?

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
Serious question -- when Apple TV 3 hits for $99 and becomes a no-brainer upgrade, what are we all going to do with our Apple TV 2s? Usually I just hand down my iOS stuff to family, but since Apple TV 2 was so cheap, they've all got them already. So do all my friends.

Is the post-Apple TV 3 landscape going to be littered with the abandoned carcasses of Apple TV 2s?

First world problem, I know. But, problem.

mtmjr90

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm really struggling to be honest... I have no problems with my ATV2 and I use it all the time. There's no empirical reason for me to upgrade, especially if it's only for 1080p since lets be honest how much of a difference will that really make in my viewing experience on a 32" screen?

That said, I have essentially zero impulse control when it comes to new gadgets...so who knows what'll happen=/ I'm hoping the massive expense on the new iPad will be sufficient to convince me not to buy it. BUT if I were to buy it, I'd probably sell my ATV2 to a friend who wants a cheap Netflix solution, id be happy to get $50 and I'm sure they'd be happy to spend only $50 for it:)

kevlar x

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
My atv2 is currently constantly being moved from my living room to my monitor in front of my treadmill and back again. I purposely held off buying a 2nd atv2 for this duty ready for atv3 so if the rumours are true my atv2 will be moving permanently to my gym.

kaze258

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
what if atv3 dont come out and its just some dumb upgrade? i just bought mine , ill return it with the quickness...

cinco312

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm gonna keep mine. There's no point in upgrading. Same design, same apps, and 1080P is not worth an upgrade.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
what if atv3 dont come out and its just some dumb upgrade? i just bought mine , ill return it with the quickness...

Huh?

It's been announced by Apple... the specs are set... and they're taking orders... what do you mean "what if atv3 dont come out and it's just some dumb upgrade" (sic) ?

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Serious question -- when Apple TV 3 hits for $99 and becomes a no-brainer upgrade, what are we all going to do with our Apple TV 2s? Usually I just hand down my iOS stuff to family, but since Apple TV 2 was so cheap, they've all got them already. So do all my friends.

Is the post-Apple TV 3 landscape going to be littered with the abandoned carcasses of Apple TV 2s?

First world problem, I know. But, problem.

Not sure what I'll do. I have 3 version 2 devices... and was considering replacing the family room unit and moving the spare to my office... maybe I will do that, maybe I'll just sit tight and bank the C-note... but I have enough grown kids that IF I do upgrade, the old unit will find a nice home.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Is 1080p the only feature it has?

Basically other than the A5.

There's no word on netflix. Airplay mirroring is still 720p even for the new iPad. Airplay video is 1080p but only if the app is enabled.

Also: A sustained 8-Mbit/s or faster Internet connection is recommended for viewing 1080p high-definition movies and TV shows.

Hot94Z28

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Since I have only 3mbs where I live (fast as I can get) I will try and buy a apple TV2.

Sent from my iPhone using TapaMFtalk

subliminalfringe

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
I'm keeping mine and getting more...

ATV2 is the sweet spot for streaming video. 720p and Dolby Digital are completely acceptable standards for watching HD movies from Netflix and Apple and I can do so without spending a fortune on my Internet connection. Streaming 1080p would require a much faster (and expensive) Internet service and I doubt I would notice the difference in definition.

Lenerdosy

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Debating if I should just pick up a 2nd or 3rd. Been really interested with the fact you can jailbreak the 2nd so definitely thinking of that.

caleb22

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
I'll just move my ATV 2 to another room and continue that process until my home is a fully operational battle station.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro